Do NOT book early with P&0 Cruises

Tangie47

Strange - would you go back to your electrical retailer if you bought a tv months ago and then they had a sale reducing the price and expect them to give you the difference.

If you happy to pay the price you paid fine if not then why did you book it?

In that instance you'd have had the use of the tv since you bought it, whereas someone who waited until the sale wouldn't have.

Sometimes cruises are cheaper when the season starts.

After trying out Celebrity Equinox on her pre-maiden cruise for a couple of nights down to the Channel Islands in a superb balcony cabin, I thought I'd watch the prices for the sister ship Eclipse which was starting her cruising from Southampton the following April.A balcony cabin started at a amazing £1350pp for a 14n Med cruise...... as the months progressed and she got very popular - probably a lot of P&O cruisers keen to try out a brand new 5* Celebrity ship sailing from Southampton , the very same balcony grade on the same Med cruise rose from £1350 to £2200pp before it soldout..... So sometimes the prices can go up...:rolleyes:

I also agree,that if you want a particular cruise a bit different, like a Amazon, Panama canal cruise or the Canada and NY cruise you would need to 'book early' as dear old Fred Pontin said, no way could you wait too long for a late deal on those, you might be lucky, you might end up with the cabin nobody wants, on the dinner sitting you don't want, by why take the chance if its the cruise for you?

It's called fluid pricing and all holiday companies use it , not just Cruise Lines , as demand increases so does the price and when bookings slow down then prices again drop , it's a tool used by firms to maximise occupancy.

I'm sure that i'll be able to book my cruise at a cheaper price as the date approaches but i'd prefer to book early to ensure i get the holiday i want.

I booked yesterday with my local travel agent to go on the Azura in March 2012. I received a letter from P&O in December stating great savings for 2011 and early 2012. The letter and small sale brochure (which was enclosed with the letter) said if you book by the 31st January 2011 you would receive an additional 5% discount when paying in full at the time of booking. No where in the letter, brochure or online was there terms and conditions attached to this offer. When the travel agent booked the holiday yesterday the code did not appear so she phoned P&O and she was advised this offer was only for cruises in 2011. She explained to P&O nowhere in the letter or brochure and even online does it state this offer is only for cruises in 2011. However P&O will not allow me to have this discount. I have contacted P&O directly today and still no luck. The Customer Service lady at P&O said she would speak to the Marketing Department because it should state something in the terms and conditions and it currenlty does not. She was not very sympathetic.

Been on a few cruises with other companies but this is the first time i've booked with P&O and now slightly disappointed with their attitude.

I booked yesterday with my local travel agent to go on the Azura in March 2012. I received a letter from P&O in December stating great savings for 2011 and early 2012. The letter and small sale brochure (which was enclosed with the letter) said if you book by the 31st January 2011 you would receive an additional 5% discount when paying in full at the time of booking. No where in the letter, brochure or online was there terms and conditions attached to this offer. When the travel agent booked the holiday yesterday the code did not appear so she phoned P&O and she was advised this offer was only for cruises in 2011. She explained to P&O nowhere in the letter or brochure and even online does it state this offer is only for cruises in 2011. However P&O will not allow me to have this discount. I have contacted P&O directly today and still no luck. The Customer Service lady at P&O said she would speak to the Marketing Department because it should state something in the terms and conditions and it currenlty does not. She was not very sympathetic.

Been on a few cruises with other companies but this is the first time i've booked with P&O and now slightly disappointed with their attitude.

To be honest the 5% discount isn't that great - it ties you in to 100% cancellation penalties with the current offer (as I understand it). That might be fine if you are travelling in the next couple of months, but a lot can change in a year. Even with travel insurance I wouldn't be inclined to take up such an offer for a cruise so far away. You'd save an awful lot more by just waiting for P&O to lower the price nearer the time, which they will if it is just a cabin for 2 people you need.

>Strange - would you go back to your electrical retailer if you bought a tv months ago and then they had a sale reducing the price and expect them to give you the difference.

A holiday is slightly different because you have not had it before the price is reduced. With a television if the price comes down I think I had the enjoyment of it before the price came down.

I did once cancel a cruise on QM2 (lost my deposit) and rebooked the same cruise. I was still better off. I cancelled a junior suite to book a full suite for less than the cost of my original booking. Loosing my deposit hurt a bit but we got a free upgrade to a Penthouse which helped.

Prices can go up. I once held off booking a QM2 cruise hoping for bargain but the price shot up. Luckily I had a second choice (for the same fortnight) cruise with Fred Olsen in mind where the price dropped like stone. So we got a bargain anyway and had a great cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. Lurking here as I am thinking of giving P&O a go again. I like traditional ships so might try Aurora.

Archived