Making a cruise more special.

JTRose123

Hey all.

Back story - My wife and I got married back in November via double proxy when I got to Afghanistan. We have a real wedding planned in September in Disney, but we wanted her to be covered under my health care while I was gone, and this way we felt it wouldn't take away from the specialness of having a real wedding day.

In February I'm getting 2 weeks of leave, and we decided to go on the Carnival Dream to get away from it all for a bit while I'm home.

This is my 5th cruise, her 1st.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this more special, or romantic for her. I made reservations for the steakhouse for one of the evenings..but I'm trying to think of other things I could do.

If anyone else has any similar experiences or any advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First have fun on the cruise. Pick a excursion that she will love. maybe plan a room service breakfast in bed etc..

Second you had a real wedding, you are married.You benefit and do things as husband and wife. You are planning a vow renewal.

First have fun on the cruise. Pick a excursion that she will love. maybe plan a room service breakfast in bed etc..

Second you had a real wedding, you are married.You benefit and do things as husband and wife. You are planning a vow renewal.

Uh, not quite.

I signed an affidavit while in Afghanistan, and she signed one back home. That was the extent of our "wedding." We never said I do, or kissed, or even saw each other. This vacation is my first time seeing her since we got a letter in the mail telling us that we were married.

So we are NOT having a vow renewal, as there are not vows to renew. We're having our wedding.

Who pissed in your cheerio's this morning?

Thanks for all the great advice so far everyone, there's a lot of great ideas already that I may try to pull off.

What's the Chef's table though?

This thread has my feedback on the Chef's table. It is $75/person. As Host Mach posted, you can contact him with instructions on how to request reservations.

As many have said, thank you for your service and for protecting our country.

Back story - My wife and I got married back in November via double proxy when I got to Afghanistan. We have a real wedding planned in September in Disney, but we wanted her to be covered under my health care while I was gone, and this way we felt it wouldn't take away from the specialness of having a real wedding day.

JTRose:

I'd really like to chat with you a bit about your September wedding.

Could you send me a quick e-mail (my Cruse Critic name at Earthlink dot net) and just put 'September Wedding' in the title, since it'll probably bounce, but I can find it in my spam folder. Thanks so much!! :)

JTRose:

I'd really like to chat with you a bit about your September wedding.

Could you send me a quick e-mail (my Cruse Critic name at Earthlink dot net) and just put 'September Wedding' in the title, since it'll probably bounce, but I can find it in my spam folder. Thanks so much!! :)

Don,

Emailed!

Uh, not quite.

I signed an affidavit while in Afghanistan, and she signed one back home. That was the extent of our "wedding." We never said I do, or kissed, or even saw each other. This vacation is my first time seeing her since we got a letter in the mail telling us that we were married.

So we are NOT having a vow renewal, as there are not vows to renew. We're having our wedding.

Who pissed in your cheerio's this morning?

You are married, You chose to get married that way. A real wedding means you are not really married. If you are married with or without vows. You are having a vow renewal.. Weddings are for people who are not married. You are married! Go to the knot and ask on Etiquette. Hope you have a nice vow renewal.

You are married, You chose to get married that way. A real wedding means you are not really married. If you are married with or without vow. You are having a vow renewal.. Weddings are for people who are not married. You are married! Go to the knot and ask on Etiquette.

They have a legal document which binds them legally to one another. I don't think it is our place to debate or say you are married, etc. To them, they did not have the traditional wedding which signifies to everyone that they are in fact married. JT isn't looking for us to judge the definition of their marriage, he is asking for suggestions on how to make the little time he has with his wife something for her to hold on to and remember until they are together again.

Put yourself in his shoes and see how you'd feel if people were jumping down your throat.

They have a legal document which binds them legally to one another. I don't think it is our place to debate or say you are married, etc. To them, they did not have the traditional wedding which signifies to everyone that they are in fact married. JT isn't looking for us to judge the definition of their marriage, he is asking for suggestions on how to make the little time he has with his wife something for her to hold on to and remember until they are together again.

Put yourself in his shoes and see how you'd feel if people were jumping down your throat.

I would and did, I thought about the elope then have a big thing after then realized I wanted the say I married to be the special day. I did not want a vow renewal even though I was unemployed and could have used my husbands insurance etc...

What gets me is the wording of " real wedding" like the marriage is not real. They had a real wedding, They want a pretty princess day and it is a vow renewal by definition. She is using his insurance, he is getting the military supplement for being married so they are married. No matter what kind of wedding.

Jobell -

Thank you. Those are the words I would have liked to say, but probably much nicer than I would have said them. Some people are so unhappy in their lives they have to resort to anonymous internet attacking to try and make themselves feel special.

I understand that my wife and are legally married, but we still have yet to have a proper wedding..and until then our marriage is on paper only.

But that's getting away from the point of this thread.

For all those who've had a genuine interest in helping - I can't thank you enough.

You are married, You chose to get married that way. A real wedding means you are not really married. If you are married with or without vows. You are having a vow renewal.. Weddings are for people who are not married. You are married! Go to the knot and ask on Etiquette. Hope you have a nice vow renewal.

Dude! No offense, but leave the guy alone. He is on here just trying to plan something extra special for the woman he LOVES! Not to mention the fact that he is fighting in a war to secure YOUR freedom to cruise and go about your daily life as an American. Either offer up some helpful advice or lay off. Geez!

I would and did, I thought about the elope then have a big thing after then realized I wanted the say I married to be the special day. I did not want a vow renewal even though I was unemployed and could have used my husbands insurance etc...

What gets me is the wording of " real wedding" like the marriage is not real. They had a real wedding, They want a pretty princess day and it is a vow renewal by definition. She is using his insurance, he is getting the military supplement for being married so they are married. No matter what kind of wedding.

Spare me your righteous indignation. Yes, we are married. No, we have not yet had a wedding. I think in your attempts at being "right" you're missing the entire point (which is not entirely surprising with people like you).

I'm not actually sure why I'm even arguing the point with you anymore. Clearly your only purpose here is to cause trouble.

I am not sure that anything else you do will be more romantic than you just being there. She will have stars in her eyes for the entire trip. Such a great story I wish I were on the ship.

Ha, that's the hope. It doesn't hurt to do a little extra though.

Spare me your righteous indignation. Yes, we are married. No, we have not yet had a wedding. I think in your attempts at being "right" you're missing the entire point (which is not entirely surprising with people like you).

I'm not actually sure why I'm even arguing the point with you anymore. Clearly your only purpose here is to cause trouble.

Hooah Bro! I married the same woman three times - a "runaway" marriage, another to convince my parents, and another still for church purposes. In my (and my wife's) opinion, all were marriages, not renewals. Stick to your guns... and let me add my thanks for your service. Put on every armor of the Lord, and stay safe.

Although I don't know you or your wife, I think that doing something private and special for just the two of you will have the biggest impact. I really like the idea of ordering room service early and taking it up on deck. Just tell her you love her and that you couldn't have picked a better person to marry and I'm sure she'll melt! However, I've read some pretty amazing ideas on here and I'm sure whatever you pick will be perfect for the two of you! You have a great and inspiring story...have a great cruise...have a great wedding and marriage and Thank You for all you do!

No it sounds to me like they want a "wedding ceremony" which they never had......which is a formal observance whether religious or not.......

While their marriage is real.......it wasn't a real ceremony...........

He never said he was not married:rolleyes:

Archived