Can you grab a cab in Belize

zozza

Can you just grab a cab for a tour of Belize and then be taken to a beach or is it best to book an excursion?

You must mean Belize City. Belize is a country, roughly the size of Massachusetts; to tour by car would take more than a few hours off a cruise ship. The majority of the mainland beaches are well to the south of Belize City, the nearest mainland beach is called Cucumber Beach. It's primarily for locals and not always opened during the weekdays. A recent poster on another thread said Cucumber Beach was closed duriing their cruise. There are both ship sponsored and priovate excursions to small islands, cayes, that have beaches. Booking an excursion is probably the best way to go. Look for excursions to Bannister Island or Goff's Caye.

You go outside the Tourism Village and hail a taxi and take a tour of Belize City. It is a working city, with the primary tourist attractions being St John's Anglican Church and the Cultural Center int he old Govenors Mansion across the street. Horse carriage tours of th ecity are also available. There a small flea market withing a couple of blocks of the TV and there is a promonade along by the small lighthouse next to the TV for a nice walk.

Many cruise visitors to Belize look at excursions to Mayan ruins, which can be long all day excursions, or go cave tubing.

You must mean Belize City. Belize is a country, roughly the size of Massachusetts; to tour by car would take more than a few hours off a cruise ship. The majority of the mainland beaches are well to the south of Belize City, the nearest mainland beach is called Cucumber Beach. It's primarily for locals and not always opened during the weekdays. A recent poster on another thread said Cucumber Beach was closed duriing their cruise. There are both ship sponsored and priovate excursions to small islands, cayes, that have beaches. Booking an excursion is probably the best way to go. Look for excursions to Bannister Island or Goff's Caye.

You go outside the Tourism Village and hail a taxi and take a tour of Belize City. It is a working city, with the primary tourist attractions being St John's Anglican Church and the Cultural Center int he old Govenors Mansion across the street. Horse carriage tours of th ecity are also available. There a small flea market withing a couple of blocks of the TV and there is a promonade along by the small lighthouse next to the TV for a nice walk.

Many cruise visitors to Belize look at excursions to Mayan ruins, which can be long all day excursions, or go cave tubing.

Thank you for this information! We will be visiting Belize for the first time on our March cruise and we are trying to decide what to do there!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you just grab a cab for a tour of Belize and then be taken to a beach or is it best to book an excursion?

I would take a cab from someone that is inside the gates as they are regulated and safe. We had a great driver, wish I can remember his name but he took us all over Belize City and it was great!!

Do you know where they take you on the horse/carriage ride ? Where can I find the horse/carriage stand to take this ride ? Thanks

There may be vendors inside the TV who can direct you to a Horse and Carriage tour, but if you step outside the TV gates, you can't miss them lined up and wanting your business.

I would take a cab from someone that is inside the gates as they are regulated and safe. We had a great driver, wish I can remember his name but he took us all over Belize City and it was great!!

All legal taxis will have green licence plates. Once away from the cruise ships, a block or two, you should not pay more than 10 us for a ride.

I would stay on the ship. We got taken there. Some 'taxi' tried taking us to cucumber Beach when closed and wanted to just drop us off. We then asked for a ride back and he gave us a 'tour'..yea right

I feel bad because it was the 1st time i got taken.

Good luck though.....

Archived