ThirstyFrog Red-New Carnival Beer

Lydia B.

Not everyone likes the maltiness of craft brews. I loved St Arnold's when I lived in Houston:) Their LawnMower Ale was great in the summer. Houston's water is perfect for the types of brews they did, so so they told us when they first started.

Oh I love craft brews but St. Arnold's just never did it for me. There's a weird taste to their Amber Ale I don't care for.

When Celis was brewing in Austin it was wonderful, nirvana, even! But Pierre gave the brewery to his daughter who sold it to Miller who then sold it to Michigan Brewing Co and it sucks now.

Do you know which ships will be getting the draught system?

http://www.*****/Carnival/alcohol.html

Thirsty Frog Red is currently being served on draft on 14 Carnival ships.

· Carnival Miracle

· Carnival Freedom

· Carnival Destiny

· Carnival Liberty

· Carnival Valor

· Carnival Glory

· Carnival Imagination

· Carnival Pride

· Carnival Dream

· Carnival Legend

· Carnival Victory

· Carnival Elation

· Carnival Conquest

· Carnival Triumph

You will find it on draft in the Red Frog Pub on ships with this venue, or on draft in the Sports Bar on ships above without the new pub.

They also have it on the Liberty. DH and I, being beer drinkers from way back, were looking forward to trying it, but we side with the people who dumped it. Too sour for our taste! We did enjoy a nice Cay Light on Grand Cayman - the bar we went to was out of regular :eek:

Draught system?? Cool!

Oh I love craft brews but St. Arnold's just never did it for me. There's a weird taste to their Amber Ale I don't care for.

When Celis was brewing in Austin it was wonderful, nirvana, even! But Pierre gave the brewery to his daughter who sold it to Miller who then sold it to Michigan Brewing Co and it sucks now.

I wondered what happened to Celis. Hadn't heard anything about it or seen in stores in a long time except maybe in Austin's new airport a few years back. Then not being in the region anymore, I figured it was just a distribution issue .

Just read today in current issue of Food & Wine Magazine that Carnival Magic is going to offer a new Carnival brewed beer, ThirstyFrog Red. Had anyone seen this on other Carnival ships yet? I was just curious, thanks, Lydia

Enjoyed it for the 1st time last October on the Triumph and LOVED having a pint in the Red Frog Pub on the Magic over Christmas. :D My DH tried it for the 1st time on the Magic and he felt it was a bit sweet.

• 1 month later...
We've had it and love it. It's a bit like an amberbock. Its a stronger lager, very tasty. Someone told me its made by Anheiser Busch especially for Carnival.

Yep! It's brewed by AB in Jacksonville, FL. Of course AB won't tell you that. It is supposedly the recipe that Bud had for it's Red Amber Ale, which got discontinued. But having TRF on a Dream cruise and then turning around and doing a brewery tour with Navy crewmates a couple of days after, Mich's Amberbock is indeed quite similar. AB uses the same formula for a number of local restuarants in Jacksonville and othe rFlorida cities, I believe, where they'll put the restaurant's name on the brew to disquise it's a Big Beer. Nice niche.

Just read today in current issue of Food & Wine Magazine that Carnival Magic is going to offer a new Carnival brewed beer, ThirstyFrog Red. Had anyone seen this on other Carnival ships yet? I was just curious, thanks, Lydia

It was on the Legend when we cruised on Janaury 22-29. I have been told (though I have not yet confirmed) that this is the retired Anheiser Busch Red Ale that they are offering to various entities as their "house" beer. I had a VERY similar beer to ThirstyFrog Red at the Bahama Breeze in Rocky Point (Tampa) the night before our cruise. The bar tender told me this story about "A-B" offering this beer to any and all who want a house beer.

That being said, it was ok. I am an Amber and dark beer drinker, but this was not as bold as I usually order.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, this is an AB beer, and best as I can tell is an "American Ale" or a clone of it (which could either make the Thristyfrog not a lager or the American Ale not an ale).

In all fairness, though, I have tasted some of the AB "craft brew", and though not as good as a classic craft brew, was fairly decent. Beer Advocate gives this (and the American Ale) a 3.5, and my score would be about the same (maybe a bit lower, as it cheats on malts and hops).

Archived