Sailing on the Dream

Good luck to all those sailing on the dream in the next few weeks. I know Kruzseeker is off on her jollies in a few days, so we'll get a fair and accurate account once she returns!

Your review will determine whether my hard earned cash goes to Tui or P&O this year ........ I do miss Thomson cruises but I don't like bad smells:mad: and poor air con :mad:, so you'll be the arbitor. :cool:

So no pressure dear ;) but honesty rather than sentiment for all our sakes!!!

Bon Voyage, at least the planes have got plenty of leg room! :)

Good luck to all those sailing on the dream in the next few weeks. I know Kruzseeker is off on her jollies in a few days, so we'll get a fair and accurate account once she returns!

Your review will determine whether my hard earned cash goes to Tui or P&O this year ........ I do miss Thomson cruises but I don't like bad smells:mad: and poor air con :mad:, so you'll be the arbitor. :cool:

We are on the same Cruise so you will be getting plenty of input from me too.

Your review will determine whether my hard earned cash goes to Tui or P&O this year ........ I do miss Thomson cruises but I don't like bad smells and poor air con :mad:, so you'll be the arbitor. :cool:

OMG you can't do this to me Rosebaskets! I'll certainly give you an honest appraisal of what we discover on the Dream - but I'll have to add a rider to the effect that 'I'm not responsible for................etc., etc.' You know the sort of thing - some disclaimer the likes of which our contracts with Thomson are riddled! :D You'll never forgive me if I get it wrong! (And don't forget I could get it right - but then it all goes 'wrong' again before you go. Remember I thought all was well when we booked this one in the autumn!!!!)

As you know, I love the Thomson ambience - as long as the ship is clean, the service and food good and entertainment up to scratch I'm happy. The fly-cruise, port-intensive and interesting destinations also appeal. However, I'm also keen on a stench-free, air-conditioned environment so will not be happy if there are serious problems (as opposed to very fleeting, minor issues which are speedily rectified). I'll let you know!!! ;)

Thanks for the good wishes though - I've a feeling we need all the positive vibes going!

We are still looking to book a late deal on the Dream for Feb or March. Having kept up to date with all the reviews since last summer, they haven't put us off. A few aircon and plumbing problems will, I'm sure, be more than made up for by the excellent staff, food, weather and ports of call.

We are still looking to book a late deal on the Dream for Feb or March. Having kept up to date with all the reviews since last summer, they haven't put us off. A few aircon and plumbing problems will, I'm sure, be more than made up for by the excellent staff, food, weather and ports of call.

I LOVE your optimism rookery - I'll let you know if it's misplaced! :eek: :D

A wise move just spent two weeks on the dream or has now been renamed ther thomson nightmare my cabin didnt get much below 80f for the first 8 days, then a boiler blew a gasket causing engine shut down then fire in engine some of us woken up told to get dressed and put life jackets on terrifing experience, sewage spilling out in cabins smell of sewage on decks orion resturant like a sauna etc etc etc my 13th cruise 4th with thomson it was a nightmare the ship should never have left Barbados with paying passengers on board, Thomson what have you done!

• 3 weeks later...
A wise move just spent two weeks on the dream or has now been renamed ther thomson nightmare my cabin didnt get much below 80f for the first 8 days, then a boiler blew a gasket causing engine shut down then fire in engine some of us woken up told to get dressed and put life jackets on terrifing experience, sewage spilling out in cabins smell of sewage on decks orion resturant like a sauna etc etc etc my 13th cruise 4th with thomson it was a nightmare the ship should never have left Barbados with paying passengers on board, Thomson what have you done!

:confused: Oh dear - This is the first time I have attempted to post a comment - and I am doing so out of sheer panic. We are first time cruisers and I have been waiting for someone to place a comment on this forum to give me something to look forward to. I have also been trying find a roll call and have now come to the conclusion that by the time we board the Dream it may have been renamed the Marie Celeste. Where is everyone? Have you all cancelled? Are Thompsons likely to pull the last Cuban visit?

:confused: Oh dear - This is the first time I have attempted to post a comment - and I am doing so out of sheer panic. We are first time cruisers and I have been waiting for someone to place a comment on this forum to give me something to look forward to. I have also been trying find a roll call and have now come to the conclusion that by the time we board the Dream it may have been renamed the Marie Celeste. Where is everyone? Have you all cancelled? Are Thompsons likely to pull the last Cuban visit?

Just home - aircon was still being addressed when we boarded in certain areas (13th Jan) - a few people had fans I think - but no queues at Reception or mass complaints as far as I could tell (and you certainly get to hear about it if there is a significant problem on board!)

The stairwells and lifts were stuffy and sometimes very warm but I think in general the aircon is pretty well fixed. Our cabin was about 75 the first night (bit too hot) but 70 mostly since then and about 67/68 at the end of the holiday. We found it comfortable and there was a definite reduction in temperatures in the public areas so I BELIEVE the main aircon problem is sorted although that doesn't mean isolated incidents can't still occur. I think the peiple on the week before us and the week before that had some real problems though -but we hadn't cause to complain.

Will do a fuller review when I've caught my breath (and got some sleep!) but we had a great cruise - some fab destinations and despite the deluge in Havana found it a fascinating city - despite the security!! (More of that later).

Ther are still some 'issues' (but then again I haven't travelled on a cruise yet when there haven't been) but we had a great time and nothing we experienced spoiled our holiday. So don't panic! :)

I tad disappointing for my first Thomson cruise as two of three "new" ports to me, and the reasons why I booked, were dropped, Costa Maya & Santa Marta. One of these was replaced by Isla Margarita which is OK but I've been there quite a few times.

Also, an extra day at sea due to the dead starboard engine didn't bode well with me. At one stage we may well have not got to Roatan. I'm just glad we made it to Cuba. I know these things happen but first impressions and all that....

I hope that this engine keeps going for all those booked!

I'm glad I took the air freshener for my cabin too. :D

No, I haven't been to bed yet!

ET

I tad disappointing for my first Thomson cruise as two of three "new" ports to me, and the reasons why I booked, were dropped, Costa Maya & Santa Marta. One of these was replaced by Isla Margarita which is OK but I've been there quite a few times.

Also, an extra day at sea due to the dead starboard engine didn't bode well with me. At one stage we may well have not got to Roatan. I'm just glad we made it to Cuba. I know these things happen but first impressions and all that....

I hope that this engine keeps going for all those booked!

I'm glad I took the air freshener for my cabin too. :D

No, I haven't been to bed yet!

ET

Looking forward to your review after you have been to bed.

Doesn't look too promising though. Hope the main reason that you aren't impressed is that you missed out the to ports that you wanted to go to and not entirely on the ship itself.

I was looking forward to Costa Maya. Why was that missed

Looking forward to your review after you have been to bed.

Doesn't look too promising though. Hope the main reason that you aren't impressed is that you missed out the to ports that you wanted to go to and not entirely on the ship itself.

I was looking forward to Costa Maya. Why was that missed

Costa Maya can't provide the fresh water Thomson need to top up their own water generating system.

I'm sorry edwardteach that you were disappointed about the ports - that's a real downer when it was the main reason for booking. It didn't really affect us though pretty well all the ports were new to us so we didn't know which would be worth seeing and which would be best to miss (if you have to miss one) - but given the problem with the engine I'm just SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad we made Roatan - we found a beach there which was DIVINE!

which beach did you go to? Last time we went we went to Coral Cay which was a ships tour (with the very best seafood lunch that I have ever had) but I can't seem to find anything about it now :(.

Also where did you dock in Roatan

Docked at Coxen Hole - not much there but we loved the unspoilt nature of this place (apart from a few diamond international type outlets at the terminal it was thankfully free of an Americanised multi-shopping make-over). There's nothing much to keep you here but for a half an hour or so it's worth walking along the main street turning right out of the port and there are some characterful, wooden shack-like bars with terraces on stilts into the water. Great for an iced beer at $2 - not fancy - in fact the reverse - but a 'real' place to experience the culture. The local houses are charming - very colourful and interesting (and photogenic) as you drive away from the port.

We took a local taxi/mini bus (Boddens - seemed the best deal @ $15 p.p. return) along with about 6 other passengers to West Bay. It's best if you can negotiate a return time with everyone on board before leaving so you're all wanting to come back at approx the same time - otherwise it can lead to compromises which may not suit everyone. We agreed with our driver to take us to a private beach which was the Mayan Princess

http://www.mayanprincess.com/modules/photo_gallery/category/Meet+Roatan

It cost $10 each to get in but included a lounger, umbrella (once the tree cover was insufficient), changing and toilet facilities, use of the pool if so wished (loungers here too) and access to the loveliest beach I've seen. The sea was turquiose and no waves or under-tow so great for getting into and for swimming. There is a bar with reasonably priced drinks and food available too.

We were sorry to drag ourselves away!

Just home - aircon was still being addressed when we boarded in certain areas (13th Jan) - a few people had fans I think - but no queues at Reception or mass complaints as far as I could tell (and you certainly get to hear about it if there is a significant problem on board!)

So no change from June last year

The stairwells and lifts were stuffy and sometimes very warm but I think in general the aircon is pretty well fixed. Our cabin was about 75 the first night (bit too hot) but 70 mostly since then and about 67/68 at the end of the holiday. We found it comfortable and there was a definite reduction in temperatures in the public areas so I BELIEVE the main aircon problem is sorted although that doesn't mean isolated incidents can't still occur. I think the peiple on the week before us and the week before that had some real problems though -but we hadn't cause to complain.

Again no change from last year.One week it worked,next week it was broken,next week it worked,next week broken,and so on.On some decks it worked and others it didn`t.This has obviously never been worked on when in drydock.Theres one thing,AC engineers will never be out of work on the Dream :D

Ther are still some 'issues' (but then again I haven't travelled on a cruise yet when there haven't been) but we had a great time and nothing we experienced spoiled our holiday. So don't panic! :)

Good to hear you had a great time kruzseeka and look forward to your review

Due to fly out for two weeks on the Dream this week ( 3rd Feb) and are quite prepared for what condition the ship will be in having monitored these forums for a number of weeks.

What now really hacking me off is the changing of the itinerary. It was mooted on here a couple of weeks ago that Santa Marta was being dropped in favour for Margarita Island, as we wanted to travel inland in Columbia Yellow fever jabs were to become an issue. I contacted Thomson and received a reply saying Santa Marta was still on the itinerary so went ahead with the jabs ( £ 110 for the pair of us ).

Received yesterday a letter saying that Santa Marta was off , thanks a lot.

What is now the score with Costa Maya is that now off ? The letter I got yesterday still has it on the itinerary, there is obviously a reason for missing this port, bit of a coincidence citing lack of water, engine probs etc. ( Maybe some of the ship,s water tanks are out of action, hence the list ? )

Finally regarding Roatan, having already booked a trip here I would like to know which dock we will be berthing at ( port schedule has Mahogany bay but Coxens Hole seems to now be the prefered venue ).

As I said at the start I am prepared for some faults with the ship ( although this should not really be the case, but being ex navy I know how it goes ) but I chose this cruise for the ports of call and in this respect I now feel that I am being mis-sold.

Due to fly out for two weeks on the Dream this week ( 3rd Feb) and are quite prepared for what condition the ship will be in having monitored these forums for a number of weeks.

What now really hacking me off is the changing of the itinerary. It was mooted on here a couple of weeks ago that Santa Marta was being dropped in favour for Margarita Island, as we wanted to travel inland in Columbia Yellow fever jabs were to become an issue. I contacted Thomson and received a reply saying Santa Marta was still on the itinerary so went ahead with the jabs ( £ 110 for the pair of us ).

Received yesterday a letter saying that Santa Marta was off , thanks a lot.

What is now the score with Costa Maya is that now off ? The letter I got yesterday still has it on the itinerary, there is obviously a reason for missing this port, bit of a coincidence citing lack of water, engine probs etc. ( Maybe some of the ship,s water tanks are out of action, hence the list ? )

Finally regarding Roatan, having already booked a trip here I would like to know which dock we will be berthing at ( port schedule has Mahogany bay but Coxens Hole seems to now be the prefered venue ).

As I said at the start I am prepared for some faults with the ship ( although this should not really be the case, but being ex navy I know how it goes ) but I chose this cruise for the ports of call and in this respect I now feel that I am being mis-sold.

I with you on this one Marine Engineer. Thomsons are absolutely hopeless at giving timely information to passengers.

Costa Maya - Our letter regarding this stated "Unfortunately, we have been informed by Costa Maya Port Authorities that they are unable to supply us with fresh water".

Santa Marta - "that due to work being carried out on one of the cruise ship piers not yet being completed, we are unable to dock there on this occasion. The option to use tender boats was considered, however due to safety reasons this was not possible"

As a result we were going to have two days in Cozumel but we took that day at sea due to engine failure.

Fortunately I didn't bother with the yellow fever jabs after reading through a lot of comments on here.

With regard to Roatan, I was under the impression we were going to Mahogany Bay as their port info. stated it although it did also show a much smaller map of Coxen Hole. I guess that we were supposed to assume that it could be one or the other. I don't think the Captain knew where he was going until the night before.

I had my last day in Cuba ruined. I had booked the Hemingway tour for my morning there, starting at 9.00am for four hours. No -one had told me that I wouldn't be able to do this trip if I was flying out. OV always made clear what trips could /could not be taken on the last day prior to departure. It wasn't until I questioned this after receiving information regarding times for disembarkation the night before. My departure time was 1.15 pm so at most I would have had 15 mins to be ready. Having questioned this I was advised not to take the trip so I cancelled this on the Wednesday night. However, when I got back to my cabin after a night out on Wednesday I had a note on my bed advising me that due to "an administration error" (AGAIN!!!!) I would be now be called to disembark at 2.00pm. You can imagine my frustration. Didn't someone on here have additional tickets sent stating a later flight time before we went?

Thomson needs a shake up at the top to get these repeated & basic issues addressed. Those at the coal face are doing their best to ensure that you have a good holiday so why can't others in the organisation do the same?

ET

Didn't someone on here have additional tickets sent stating a later flight time before we went?

Thomson needs a shake up at the top to get these repeated & basic issues addressed. Those at the coal face are doing their best to ensure that you have a good holiday so why can't others in the organisation do the same?

ET

'Yes' and 'Yes' to both of your points. I couldn't agree more with your second one either!

ET

'Yes' and 'Yes' to both of your points. I couldn't agree more with your second one either!

I thought so, obviously by sending out the original flight times letter somebody's memory was triggered and they recalled seeing something about a time change.

Anyway, I did take a long walk around many of the back streets of Havana looking at all the preservation work being done whilst taking large intakes of carbon monoxide from all the clapped out old engines, so it was probably as interesting as the trip I cancelled anyway. I managed to not step in any of the piles of doggy doo doo too.:)

ET

I thought so, obviously by sending out the original flight times letter somebody's memory was triggered and they recalled seeing something about a time change.

Anyway, I did take a long walk around many of the back streets of Havana looking at all the preservation work being done whilst taking large intakes of carbon monoxide from all the clapped out old engines, so it was probably as interesting as the trip I cancelled anyway. I managed to not step in any of the piles of doggy doo doo too.:)

ET

Yes, after your previous post I said to my DH you would probably have got more out of just 'getting lost' in the old town - as we did. Pleased you did do just that and salvaged something from your Havana visit. We walked solidly around the old town for 8 hours in total (yes, in that torrential thunderstorm too! :eek: ) - first afternoon, out again in the evening and next morning. How interesting we found it too! Quite an experience!

Hi kruzseeka,

It did rain a little didn't it? I was on the open top tour bus the first afternoon. I got soaked getting to the bus. Those that were on top gave up and come downstairs when it started thundering & lightening! Some of the streets we went along were flooded and mini rivers appeared. It was nice when the sun came out again though.

So most of my pictures of the highlights that afternoon were taken through a wet bus window so not they're very good:(

ET

I with you on this one Marine Engineer. Thomsons are absolutely hopeless at giving timely information to passengers.

Costa Maya - Our letter regarding this stated "Unfortunately, we have been informed by Costa Maya Port Authorities that they are unable to supply us with fresh water".

Santa Marta - "that due to work being carried out on one of the cruise ship piers not yet being completed, we are unable to dock there on this occasion. The option to use tender boats was considered, however due to safety reasons this was not possible"

As a result we were going to have two days in Cozumel but we took that day at sea due to engine failure.

Fortunately I didn't bother with the yellow fever jabs after reading through a lot of comments on here.

With regard to Roatan, I was under the impression we were going to Mahogany Bay as their port info. stated it although it did also show a much smaller map of Coxen Hole. I guess that we were supposed to assume that it could be one or the other. I don't think the Captain knew where he was going until the night before.

I had my last day in Cuba ruined. I had booked the Hemingway tour for my morning there, starting at 9.00am for four hours. No -one had told me that I wouldn't be able to do this trip if I was flying out. OV always made clear what trips could /could not be taken on the last day prior to departure. It wasn't until I questioned this after receiving information regarding times for disembarkation the night before. My departure time was 1.15 pm so at most I would have had 15 mins to be ready. Having questioned this I was advised not to take the trip so I cancelled this on the Wednesday night. However, when I got back to my cabin after a night out on Wednesday I had a note on my bed advising me that due to "an administration error" (AGAIN!!!!) I would be now be called to disembark at 2.00pm. You can imagine my frustration. Didn't someone on here have additional tickets sent stating a later flight time before we went?

ET

Thanks for that ET, it does appear that one of us has been told porkies regarding Santa Marta. Thomsons letter said that their customers felt disappointed with the port ( maybe rightly ) and that they ( the customers ) prefered Margarita. As none of their cruises stop there, I find that comment strange all the more so as the " port " on Magarita island is probably the worst in the Caribbean, small beach,a bar and a market.

Anyway that,s now history. Whats worrying me is now missing Costa Maya, maybe we could all share showers and hopefully conserve enough water for the visit there !

Thanks for that ET, it does appear that one of us has been told porkies regarding Santa Marta. Thomsons letter said that their customers felt disappointed with the port ( maybe rightly ) and that they ( the customers ) prefered Margarita. As none of their cruises stop there, I find that comment strange all the more so as the " port " on Magarita island is probably the worst in the Caribbean, small beach,a bar and a market.

Anyway that,s now history. Whats worrying me is now missing Costa Maya, maybe we could all share showers and hopefully conserve enough water for the visit there !

Thats what I thought the real reason was about Santa Marta marine engineer.

How would Thomson know that their customers preferred Isla Margarita? They don't communicate with them!

I'm sure that looking through their brochure on board for next year' s cruises they have Santa Marta listed as a port of call again. Is there going to be a diplomatic revolution before then or is Carnival going to invest in the port here too and sanitise it for us cruisers????

As for Costa Maya, surely the authorities know what ships require water and when. Someone must keep tabs on their water levels and monitor forecasts. Perhaps a weeks notice is the norm. to cancel a stop. I wonder if any other cruise ships stopped there for water on the same day we were due.

ET

Archived