Is the road to Cane Garden Bay scary?

Peace2U

I want to go to CGB so bad but have heard that the road is kind of scary. Someone said that while we were there, a tour bus went off the road and people died. What's your experience?

It's kind of like a roller coaster ride- you might consider it scary. You ride in an open air taxi along a windy, curvy, mountainous road. Personally, I loved it and the beach was worth the ride, but it was not for the faint-hearted!

Okay..so it's scary...I can deal with that...BUT, is it safe???

Are there many accidents, cliff falls??...is anything protected like it would be on US roads???

Is it just open air to falling off the side of the cliff if you get too close???

I'm assuming it would be rare to have that many accidents/fatalities??/...but maybe I shouldn't assume???

I want to go to Cane Garden, but don't want to take that big of a risk...if it is that big of a risk.

If it's just a scary ride...no problem...close my eyes, and hold on!!!

Please help me to put this in perspective.

The bus accident was a rare occurance. Frankly I am amazed at how few accidents there are. Yes, it is a bit scary. The roads are narrow and steep, with many blind curves, and they drive on the left side so it throws your perspective off. If it really bothers you, I would suggest hiring one of the van-type taxis. They are not open-air, and you can sit in the middle so you are not right next to a window.

Okay..so it's scary...I can deal with that...BUT, is it safe???

Are there many accidents, cliff falls??...is anything protected like it would be on US roads???

Is it just open air to falling off the side of the cliff if you get too close???

I'm assuming it would be rare to have that many accidents/fatalities??/...but maybe I shouldn't assume???

I want to go to Cane Garden, but don't want to take that big of a risk...if it is that big of a risk.

If it's just a scary ride...no problem...close my eyes, and hold on!!!

Please help me to put this in perspective.

I'm only aware of one accident with fatalitlies on a open-air taxi in Tortola and that was a while back. If there was a high risk to cruise passengers, I think the cruiselines would issue warnings. I did not feel that I was going to fall out or be in an accident. The views are spectacular, so dont close your eyes. There really wan't much to do in the port area of Tortola when we were there, so you really need to take a taxi or tour. Te beaches are beautiful and well worth the trip

Yes, it was scary. We were not in an open air taxi, but instead a van. I was glad of that. The drivers just drive in the middle of the road, so there seemed to be some close calls on turns (as they get to the side when another car is coming)- but the middle seemed safer than the sides! The road was not in great condition, so driving on the sides would likely result in many flat tires!

There were very long drops on the edges of the road, and MOST had guard rails, but not all.

However, as frightening as it was for me, I really felt like my driver did drive responsiblity and knew what he was doing. His car was in good condition, slightly squeaky breaks (like mine). Sometimes you could really hear the car working to get up the hill though...

I think overall it is about as safe as any mountain road in the US, though possibly in slighly larger state of ill repair (but some US roads are pretty bad too).

I don't think it is a BIG risk, or the cruise ships would not go there (or would post a warning- like they warn against scooters and mopeds as you leavge the ship). The taxi drivers would lose their licenses if they routinely had accidents, no island wants a reputation of being a dangerous place for tourists. They need tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked to Brewer's Bay, which I assume is similar. It's tiring but not scary. I didn't see any place where you could just step off the edge and disappear. I did accept a ride from a kind couple going downhill to the beach. With the added momentum of a vehicle you could get in trouble. It's nothing worse than some roads I've seen in the US.

• 1 month later...

Archived