Progreso - Need a step by step review of a beach day

JimInBuffalo

Hi, I have read the postings about Progreso and they seem to be all over the map as far as who was pleased and who was not.

I am looking for info from those of you that have been there for the following. We will be stopping there in Feb. with our DD, her husband and 2 grandchildren (4 & 6). We are planning on doing a beach day.

I see from the postings that the pier is very long. Is there a charge for transportation from the ship to the beach? How much? Is the transportation efficient or do you wait a long time for the next vehicle?

Once you get to the end of the pier, it appears that the beach is right there. How much additional walking is required to get to an area where we can rent chairs and umbrellas?

What can we expect as far as prices for food and drinks along the beach area?

It sounds very much like the area at Costa Maya/Majahual on the other side of the Yucatan. If you have been to both, how does Progreso compare in you mind?

Thanks for any comments. I use CC member's info as my tour guide and I have not been disappointed yet.

-Jim In Buffalo

20 degrees F and sunny today in Buffalo. 6 inches of snow on the ground.

The courtesy bus from ship to intown plaza is free. The beach is about two or three blocks. My favorite restaurant is le Saint Bonnet and they will serve you on the beach if you want. Beer two bucks. Dinner entres about $7-8 US. Large menue. Service has always been great. I've eaten there about 7 times. My favorite is the whole deep fried snapper. Excellent. No rent for use of chairs and umbrellas accross from the restaurant. Yes the pier is about 4.5 miles long.

For more info keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com. An excellent visitor's guide to the Yucatan including Merida.

The Yucatan state is about the safest in Mexico. In seven trips, I've never had an issue. If I was younger I would consider moving to Merida. Quite a few US and Canadian folks have made the area their home.

BTW. I hate the port area of Costa Maya. So contrived.

This past fall, we stopped for the first time in Progresso. Everyone assigned to our table had different plans for this port, from Merida city tour, Mayan ruin tour, to staying on the ship. Everyone at the table seemed to enjoy themselves, especially the Mayan ruin tour for the historian at the table. DH and I had chosen to remain at the beach.

First you must walk from where the ship is docked to a small terminal area, and it is so big you will feel as if you are onshore already. As you exit the terminal, there will be taxis and tour guides trying to influence you. But keep walking forward to where there should be a full-sized bus to board that is free transportation to the end of the 5-mile pier. While on board, the guide will tell you a bit about Progresso and some tours available at the end of the ride.

Once you get off the pier bus, look around and familiarize yourself, as this is where you will need to reboard for the return trip in the afternoon. And do not wait until the last hour as the bus gets crowded and you do not want to be left behind.

Immediately in front of the bus should be a double-decker bus which gives short Progresso city tours for approximately $3 each. You can get off of this bus at any time during the drive. It is nice to acquaint yourself with the layout of the town. If you walk in the direction of the double-decker bus one block and then turn left, you will end up on the beach. It is about a mile in length and there are restaurants and bars all along the way, but across the road from the beach. The table and chairs on the beach are provided courtesy of the restaurants and it is usually understood you will purchase something from a waiter sometime during the day.

Like the previous poster, we too loved St. Bonnett. We walked the entire stretch of beach but came back to St. Bonnett because we thought the people were friendlier and the tables more shaded. The rest rooms are across the street by the restaurant and typical of Mexico (don't flush paper, be careful of where you step, etc.) Bucket of 5 beer was $10, fish tacos great, and DEFINITELY take advantage of a massage when offered. I belong to a Massage Club, and it was comparable to anything I've gotten there but for only $20.

The vendors will pester you to death, but they are only trying to make a living so don't be rude. Just avoid eye contact and shake your head as they approach.

We enjoyed the day and are looking forward to our next visit, probably later this spring. Sorry this is long, but you did ask for a detailed response.

Thank you for the prompt and informative responses. Again, I value this board for this type of information.

In the past, when going to new ports or ports where we thought we knew what was available, we have stayed near the pier or on the ship. In the past few cruises, we have been determined to find out more about each port and try to get a feel for the area.

We have been surprised by some of the things we have discovered just by pushing ourselves to go beyond the "end of the pier" and the usual excursions.

Our plans are to spend the beach day in Progreso and take the bus tour of the city.

-Jim

18 degrees and clear in Buffalo this morning

Hi, I have read the postings about Progreso and they seem to be all over the map as far as who was pleased and who was not.

I am looking for info from those of you that have been there for the following. We will be stopping there in Feb. with our DD, her husband and 2 grandchildren (4 & 6). We are planning on doing a beach day.

I see from the postings that the pier is very long. Is there a charge for transportation from the ship to the beach? How much? Is the transportation efficient or do you wait a long time for the next vehicle?

Once you get to the end of the pier, it appears that the beach is right there. How much additional walking is required to get to an area where we can rent chairs and umbrellas?

What can we expect as far as prices for food and drinks along the beach area?

It sounds very much like the area at Costa Maya/Majahual on the other side of the Yucatan. If you have been to both, how does Progreso compare in you mind?

Thanks for any comments. I use CC member's info as my tour guide and I have not been disappointed yet.

-Jim In Buffalo

20 degrees F and sunny today in Buffalo. 6 inches of snow on the ground.

I will be there in February too.

I live in Phoenix area. Originally from Buffalo area too. Great win by the Sabres Saturday night. I root for the Coyotes except when they play the Sabres.

Do what Mach suggested. He is a good guy and a close friend.

Thank you for the prompt and informative responses. Again, I value this board for this type of information.

In the past, when going to new ports or ports where we thought we knew what was available, we have stayed near the pier or on the ship. In the past few cruises, we have been determined to find out more about each port and try to get a feel for the area.

We have been surprised by some of the things we have discovered just by pushing ourselves to go beyond the "end of the pier" and the usual excursions.

Our plans are to spend the beach day in Progreso and take the bus tour of the city.

-Jim

18 degrees and clear in Buffalo this morning

Hi, Jim,

I noticed you are from Lockport. We live in Medina! This will be our first cruise ever in February and one of our stops is Progresso, so I appreciate your question. We plan on making it a beach day, myself and 2 kids, while my husband goes off to the ruins. You can't take the teacher out of a retired teacher! Anyway, glad to know somebody close by is on these boards.

Barb

We were in Progreso last week. We paid $15 and went to a private beach resort away from town. We saw alot of army guys with big guns, so thought it might be better to get away from the streets of Progreso. The resort was ok. The beach access wasn't good. Lots of seaweed and looked like muddy sludge stuff along shore. Didnt get in water. Cozumel the next day was 100 times better then Progreso!!

Thanks to all of the answers from this posting.

Barb, Best of luck on your first cruise. I am sure that you will have a great time. No matter what we see advertised, we keep coming back to cruises for our vacations. We try to take two each year and we have worked them up to two weeks each time. The cruises that we are taking are shown below, when will you be going?

Also, as a new cruiser, it is nice to see that you have found Cruise Critic. You can find just about anything you need on this site. I highly recommend that you go to the Cruise Critic "Meet and Greet" if there is one scheduled for your cruise. You can really benefit from the other members on board.

-Jim

25 degrees F today and a big snowstorm is forecasted for tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks to all of the answers from this posting.

Barb, Best of luck on your first cruise. I am sure that you will have a great time. No matter what we see advertised, we keep coming back to cruises for our vacations. We try to take two each year and we have worked them up to two weeks each time. The cruises that we are taking are shown below, when will you be going?

Also, as a new cruiser, it is nice to see that you have found Cruise Critic. You can find just about anything you need on this site. I highly recommend that you go to the Cruise Critic "Meet and Greet" if there is one scheduled for your cruise. You can really benefit from the other members on board.

-Jim

25 degrees F today and a big snowstorm is forecasted for tonight and tomorrow.

We are going February 21st out of NOLA on Carnival for 5 days. We didn't want to commit to a longer cruise until we find out if we like it or not. However, our family is big on boats and the sea-doo, so we don't anticipate not liking it. Living near the Great Lakes we can't help but be big on boats! We are also driving down (too expensive to fly 4 of us), leaving a few days early, as we have never been to NOLA and thought it would be nice to tour a little. I must say Carnival has been great with all of my questions! I am ordering some snorkel equipment for my son who will turn 19 yo shortly before our cruise. I my husband and I already have ours from our trip to the Dominican Republic.

There is talk on the boards of a Meet and Greet, but nothing is firm yet.

Have a great time on your cruise! We are very excited.

Barb

Archived