Skagway Rail and Bus access to Canada

Golfermom2

OK - this may be odd, but does anyone know if you can take the rail/bus tour (say through Chilkoot) to Fraser or the Yukon, if you have a DUI in the US? Canada has an issue with this normally, but I wonder if you are turning right around and leaving again there would be a problem. Anyone dealt with this?

I believe you have to pass through immigration to enter Canada. One of the tours we are considering stated we must have our passports for the tour. How they would know if you happened to have a DUI, I have no idea.:confused: Unless of course you told them.

People always seem to think, the "how would they know" is a workable plan.

I have crossed many borders US/Canada, and the more you do it, the more you see, the stuff that can happen. I've been searched/questioned many times. A traveler with me, 2 years ago, was hauled aside and questioned about a 40 year old harassment youthful offender conviction, that popped up after running the passport. My car was searched, and we did get access.

Another time, I was crossing in Grand Marais Mn. Hauled inside- passport scanned, was asked how many times that year did I cross into Canada and where. Well I listed off Ft. Erie, Detroit, Blaine BC a couple times, and Sidney Vancouver Island. That's it, I said- Nope, said them, where else?? Didn't know- they said- were you in Fraser BC?? Oh yeah, sorry.

So, don't assume they won't "find out".

Now after all that being said, if you rent a car and get turned away it's no big deal - you've wasted 15 minutes at the border but it's a spectacular drive to that point anyway. On a tour its a whole different, embarassing, ball game.

Archived