Baltics End Of May - Weather?

Brrr it was freezing when I did my Baltic cruise last May. I was cold the entire trip. Don't even bother packing capri's or shorts. I had a quilted jacket, which was not warm enough and really had wished I would have brought along my lined leather jacket and my gloves. I suggest wearing layers though in case the weather is nicer than we experienced. The wind in most of these ports is wicked!!

It is an awesome cruise though so enjoy!!

Hi Cruisergal

As yo can see from the other posts, there is little agreement as to the weather, but both are correct. Any given day can be very pleasant in the low 70sF still and deep blie skies or rain and 50F. Last May we had more rain than normal but they were short summer showers where the sun came out in an hour or so. I never remember May as being that windy but out on the Gulf it can be very windy when it is a light refreshing breeze in the city .

Suggestions for packing will have to include "layers", it will not be cold enough for a warm coat and if carried when the sun comes out, the coat could be more hassle than its worth. It would be a rare day in May that someone from a warm climate would want only a T-shirt and shorts, although you might see the beach in front of Peter and Paul Fortress filled with sun bathers soaking up the rays is efforts to get the first tans of the year. For those used to the cool weather, 50F is very balmy and reason to shed some clothes. In the north of Russia shorts are not worn by men very often no matter what the weather and women wear as little as possible, more of a fashion statement than an indication of temperatures.

Light weight layers with one of them water proof and stashable will be enough. Late May is in the midst of White Nights so there will be little difference between night and day temps so some of the nicest evening you can imagine will great you if you venture out at night to the shows or canal boats. Walking around the downtown area or along the river seeing the dusky light aided by the spectacular colored outdoor lighting trained on all the Palace Embankment buildings and bridges make night time, even at 3 a.m., a stunning visual delight...don't go back to the ship until absolutely have to. May is a wonderful time in St Petersburg.

And what is with the old, bald men wearing the shorts? THEY cannot be a fashion statement with their ugly, hairy legs. :eek:

I just do not want to see those legs except with some Dockers covering them.

CRUISERGAL: I am going to pretend I am going to Alaska - our sailing is Star on 2 September. Being a California Gal, I am acclimated to the Warm California Sun. :cool:

I shall be wearing my WinterSilks long silk underwear (uppers & lowers) under my black slacks. They are cute, with lace. I wear them for pajamas too. Saves packing space. Silk is warm in winter and cool in summer and washes like a hankie and dries quickly - just wrap in a towel. ;)

I will take my reversible parka with hood for rain, as well as my tiny plastic Dollar parka and little foldable umbrella. I KNOW it will rain some time on the trip. I lived in Germany for 2-1/2 years and it never stopped raining. :mad:

They all laughed at me on the little boat in Bora Bora because, as it started sprinkling, I unfolded that little teensie plastic parka, blowing in the wind. When we came up from our dive and everyone sat shivering in wet bathers, I was cozy within my cocoon of plastic, totally covered, peeking out through that stupid orange plastic. Worked great - I was not shivering. I did get the last laugh.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I like the idea of the silk long johns and dressing in layers.

Stanj, Wow what a wonderful sight I feel I am in store for in St. Petersburg. You have painted a beautiful picture of your city and I will look forward to visiting.

I lived there for 3 months one time. Worked for the Bomber Factory in Marietta. Beautiful city and wonderful people. :D

A HINT: Click on Stanj's screen name and look at all his posts. He has a world of information there, as well as on his website. He has been a big help to many of us. :cool:

May is usually a wonderful time in Stockholm too! And Stanj has already given you the advice about our weather that applies to Stockholm too. Layers is definitely the way to go. A heavy jacket or coat is unlikely to be useful. Better to have a warm sweater and a light jacket, so that you can add or take off as the weather changes.

I am not so sure about the silk underwear, I use them too but only if I am going to sit outside for a long evening dinner, never during the day except winter. I think you may be very warm if it is a sunny day. But bring them, they take little space and who knows what kind of weather we will have this year.

Also, I wouldn't completely give up on shorts and capris. Some days, even as early as May, can be really hot in Stockholm.

The main thing is to be prepared for everything from hot and sunny to cold, windy and raining.

north-bound, thanks for the good advice. It is very nice to hear from someone living in the cities we will be visiting. It is very much appreciated.

Princess Di, We live south of Atlanta in Fayette County. Have been here for 8 years and love it. We both grew up in Ga. so it was nice to be able to retire here.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Baltic the first week of June last year & with the exception of 2 sunny days & low 70's in St. Petersburg, it was cloudy or rainy & in the 50's. My favorite touring outfit included a good hooded rainjacket with plenty of pockets (so I didn't have to carry a purse), khakis or jeans, and comfortable tennis shoes.

Archived