Trip insurance

luvtravelms

I found the people at tripinsurancestore.com to be very professional and very customer oriented. You can do side-by-side comparisons on the site. I telephoned with several questions and they were knowledgeable and responsive. I have no connection to the company other than being a satisfied customer. :)

Bon voyage

Betsy

We have a very short window to get from the airport to the ship. If we miss the ship will the insurance cover the cost of our trip or pay to get us to the next port?

Most policies require a delay of several hours to occur before they provide any relief. Then they generally require you to make a concerted effort to catch up to the ship and if your missing the ship is covered, they will reimburse you for covered expenses (what and how much is covered varies tremendously from policy to policy). If you are leaving from a U.S. port you need to be on board the ship at least 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailing, so if your flight does not arrive well before this deadline, you need to change the flight.

We arrive in MIA at 1:58 and the ship leaves at 4:30. If I change the tickets it is going to cost over the amount I paid for them and I really do not want to do that. Do you think we can get to the ship and get checked in in one hour? I have done the online check in and tried everything to expediate the process. I am very nervous about this.

We use Travel Guard. Only one experience having to cancel, but no problem getting reimbursed.

+1 for Travel Guard. We've used them three times, and never had to make a claim, but I feel very confident that they would stand behind their product in the event that we did. I also like the fact that they offer an 800 number for assistance when in foreign countries. They'll help you with directions, locating an atm, finding a restaraunt, etc.

We arrive in MIA at 1:58 and the ship leaves at 4:30. If I change the tickets it is going to cost over the amount I paid for them and I really do not want to do that. Do you think we can get to the ship and get checked in in one hour? I have done the online check in and tried everything to expediate the process. I am very nervous about this.

Did the cruise line make this reservation? :confused: I can't imagine cutting it that close. I always arrive at least one day ahead of time, usually two! Insurance might not cover you if you booked it that close. That doesn't allow for gate delays, traffic jams, etc. Not to mention how rarely flights arrive on time...and how long it takes to get luggage in Miami! Good luck! If it was me, I would change the tickets to a much earlier flight.

We arrive in MIA at 1:58 and the ship leaves at 4:30. .

Do you think we can get to the ship and get checked in in one hour?

. I am very nervous about this.

I doubt very seriously that you will make it. If the plane lands at 1:58 expect to arrive at the gate somewhere around 2:10. Walk to Baggage Claim and wait for Bags. Probably get the bags around 2:45 if lucky. Cab to Port. 15 to 20 minutes without traffic and a good cab driver. You are now at 3:15 to 3:30 and you have not gone thru physical checkin at the port. (Bags to porter, room keys etc.) So you are down to maybe 45 minutes before Sail-Away. Most Cruise lines now require you to be physically on the ship 90 minutes before Sail-Away. You will probably be watching the ship leave without you.

Change your flights now.

We use Travel Guard. Only one experience having to cancel, but no problem getting reimbursed.

I had the most unhappy experience with Travel Guard. Their parent company is AIG, who the government bailed out in 2008. We had one million dollars in medical evacuation insurance and they refused to provide it. Their "medical expert" was a paramedic and he called the shots. They refused to permit our personal physician to speak with the treating physician (they were supposed to do this via a translator). We know that they knew the medical facility my husband was at was not capable of caring for him properly, but refused to pay for the air ambulance to get him home.

I strongly suggest that you look for a policy that is primary coverage and call the individual companies and ask them questions. Any company that has a 24 hour limit on ANYTHING is one to avoid.

+1 for Travel Guard. We've used them three times, and never had to make a claim, but I feel very confident that they would stand behind their product in the event that we did. I also like the fact that they offer an 800 number for assistance when in foreign countries. They'll help you with directions, locating an atm, finding a restaraunt, etc.

How do you know they are good if you never had a claim. I had a horrible time with them. They left us stranded in a less than adequate hospital in a foreign country where the medical personnel had never seen an insulin pump so they made my DH remove his. He had to sneak it on when they weren't looking to take care of his own blood glucose levels. Travel Guard knew this and didn't care. We had one million in medical evacuation insurance and they cheaped out on us.

I would be very nervous too; even if your flight is on time, you may not make it to the pier in time to board. I would fork over the money to change to a flight that arrives the day before (or at least morning of your cruise). If you cannot afford to do this, you need to not check any luggage. Picking up luggage at baggage claim likely will take you about 10-20 extra minutes and this is time you do not have. Also try to get a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible as this will give you a few extra minutes than if you are near the back. Once off the plane, run to the ground transportation and snag a cab to the port. If you take these steps, you should make it in time, assuming your plane is not late. If your plane is late you will not be able to make it in time to board the ship.

As for travel insurance, unless you are wealthy or have health insurance that covers both emergency medical care when out of the country (some do) as well as medical evacuation off a ship (very few do) you should obtain travel insurance. While it will not help you with your flight issue, you should strongly consider getting it in case of a medical emergency (or you could be out tens of thousands of dollars or more).

I just checked your posts.

It will be difficult to get insurance at this late date. If you do not have pre-existing medical conditions compare the policies available through a site like Insuremytrip.

If you do not change your flights you will more than likely miss your cruise. If Homeland Security does not change the alert you must be onboard 90 minutes prior to sailing. Celebrity is complying with federal rules. It is not the cruise line's call. Any deviation to Code Red may increase the onboard time to 2 hours or more.

You have not considered weather delays nor the time from touchdown to baggage claim. I noticed that you are in Mississippi. Did you get the same snow today we are getting in Alabama? Your only saving grace would be bad weather and your airline offering you a weather waiver unless you are willing to pay the air differential.

Since you are flying into MIA you are at least 20-25 minutes from the pier on a really good day.

After over 20 Caribbean cruises I do not see any way you can make the ship.

I sincerely wish you luck.

How do you know they are good if you never had a claim. I had a horrible time with them. They left us stranded in a less than adequate hospital in a foreign country where the medical personnel had never seen an insulin pump so they made my DH remove his. He had to sneak it on when they weren't looking to take care of his own blood glucose levels. Travel Guard knew this and didn't care. We had one million in medical evacuation insurance and they cheaped out on us.

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with TG. While I don't doubt for a second that you had a bad experience with them, an overwhelming amount of public information suggests that this is a very reputable company. Before I purchased my first contract with TG I researched them thouroughly; I found a company that was on sound financial footing, had an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and had a lot of feedback from consumers who had filed claims and were made whole to their satisfaction. My in-laws also had their bags stolen on Hawaii when they got off of their cruise ship. TG handled their claim quickly, reimbursed them for clothing they had to purchase in Hawaii, and resolved the issue in a timely fashion.

I agree. My DH said to go ahead and get another ticket. The bummer is that United/Continental has been no help. There is a Delta flight that leaves Jackson in plenty of time as well as an American (for the life of me I don't know why I didn't do that to begin with) and do you think they would let me change? No, not without $300 change fee plus the difference of the ticket. I even offered to fly to Houston on our own the day before and catch the 6:35 flight on Continental to Miami. No can't do that either. After talking to X today I will book the next ticket on their Choice Air. It is the same price as the internet and X will take care of you if you miss the ship. It won't be on United/Continental however. I'm boycotting them.

Luvtravelms,

I know it's painful to add the additional air to your cruise but truly you would not have made the ship. Just one glitch and you would have gotten to the pier by the time the ship was past the narrows, not just leaving the port.

As far as cruise air, read the Sticky at the top of the Cruise Air forum. It is enlightening. For a cruise from a domestic port it is not necessarily the best option.

When you book your next cruise and choose to take insurance make sure you book within a few days of your initial booking. That is generally when insurance provides the widest coverage.

I'm glad you didn't get our 6" of snow because it is almost all ice! It's some of the crunchiest snow I've ever seen and I grew up 400 miles north of here.

You will have a great cruise and I'll wave to your ship as I drive by the pier to see my latest great nephew.

I found the people at tripinsurancestore.com to be very professional and very customer oriented. You can do side-by-side comparisons on the site. I telephoned with several questions and they were knowledgeable and responsive. I have no connection to the company other than being a satisfied customer. :)

Bon voyage

Betsy

Steve and his staff are the best; they do not sell you more than you need and Steve is an expert who will explain everything to you over the phone.

I'd pay to change my air tickets and arrive earlier. Try to get there by noon.

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with TG. While I don't doubt for a second that you had a bad experience with them, an overwhelming amount of public information suggests that this is a very reputable company. Before I purchased my first contract with TG I researched them thouroughly; I found a company that was on sound financial footing, had an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and had a lot of feedback from consumers who had filed claims and were made whole to their satisfaction. My in-laws also had their bags stolen on Hawaii when they got off of their cruise ship. TG handled their claim quickly, reimbursed them for clothing they had to purchase in Hawaii, and resolved the issue in a timely fashion.

We had no problems with them paying for the unfinished cruises and one lost item. A suitcase is replaceable. A human being's life isn't so easy.

The next time I went looking for insurance, I thoroughly researched the companies and found that the best rated was Travel Ex. They got the highest ratings from other travelers as well as the insurance company ratings of A and A+. As for how they pay a claim, I can't say because I haven't, thank goodness, had one.

I like to compare the various travel insurance companies but always end up with Travelex. They seem to be the best on all counts. I had a service rep call me after signing up on line. She explained to methat I could have "additional" coverage for the same premium price. I almost died of shock....at last customer service lives!!!

Happy Cruising!!

We had no problems with them paying for the unfinished cruises and one lost item. A suitcase is replaceable. A human being's life isn't so easy.

The next time I went looking for insurance, I thoroughly researched the companies and found that the best rated was Travel Ex. They got the highest ratings from other travelers as well as the insurance company ratings of A and A+. As for how they pay a claim, I can't say because I haven't, thank goodness, had one.

Let's hope you never have to make another claim. This is one expense that I am always glad to pay, and hope I never have to use,

We too have had issues with Travel Guard and payment for a claim made last February. It took them more than 6 months to resolve the claim and make good on our policy. I would never use them again. Our claim was for cancelled flights due to flooding.

Archived