Packing Regrets anyone?

noelbows

We're cruising to ALaska on May 29th (Sernade). This will be our first cruise to a colder climate. We usually cruise the caribbean from New Orleans which is very close to our home.

I am worried about the types of clothes to pack. I am from a HOT and HUMID area so winter clothes for us here are mostly long sleeve shirts and maybe a light jacket in REAL cold weather. Shorts can be worn just about year round.

Everyone says LAYER.......I would like to know would jeans, slacks, shirt and a light jacket work or do I need something warmer ? I would hate to be COLD on the deck while at sea. We love sitting out all day rather than playing games in the theater. We do not attend any of the meetings, etc. What about shorts? I would like specifics..

This will be our 5th cruise but like I said, first to a colder climate. Need HELP. Thanks..Gail Johnson

Email: Darlin6372@aol.com

It rained every day when we went to Alaska. One light jacket and one heavier jacket solved the cold problem for me.

It is a beautiful place so you will want to be able to go outside. Have a wonderful trip!

i definetly overpack! but who doesn't? Where else can you dress for breakfast on the balcony, dress for the pool, change for an excursion, then again when you get back to run around the boat, by then it's time to get ready for dinner and after dinner you change for a night out of partying! Wew! that's a lot of outfits! I think I need to go pack more.:)

Re: Alaska

On the morning we were going to board the Sapphire, we ran into a couple who just came off a Holland ship. They said they wore shorts all week. A day or two into our cruise, the weather changed. It was rainy in Ketchikan, overcast in Juneau, mostly foggy/ a little rain in Skagway, rainy in Victoria (after a rainy day at sea) and then rainy again in Seattle. Temps in the 50s/60s, much colder the morning tour of the glaciers. So be prepared.

After reading this I am definitely going o try and cut down. I am not going to overpak this time

We got off early the last time and there were people pulling hugh pieces of luggage. Want to be able to pull my own luggage off.

The last cruise we were on there was an elderly couple that had a 25 inch suit

case each packed for seven days. No carry on. She said that the way they packed for a three week cruise also. Just wash under wear out and hang up each night. Mix and match. She said the older you get the less you worry about carrying.

Just got back from a 16-day cruise plus two extra days in Rome. I will NEVER pack so many clothes again! Unpacked so many that were never worn because I didn't like them that much. I am not a fancy person and would be happy just wearing my favorites. I don't "do" beaches so will leave out those clothes. We need to realize that NO ONE ELSE CARES WHAT WE WEAR. This is the packing list for my next cruise, even if longer than 7 days:

white pants

black pants

khaki pants

blue jeans

khaki shorts

4-5 assorted color polo-type shirts

1 "island" shirt

2-3 long-sleeve shirts

assorted sleeveless tees to layer with long-sleeve shirts

tennis shoes

black flats

navy flats

You can always buy t-shirts onboard or onshore, so why bring old ones from home?

After my two pieces of checked luggage were searched by TSA in the airport, they made a mess out of putting things back in. Pack photos or objects you don't want bent carefully so they can't hurt them. And yes, they put the notice in the suitcase as required that TSA had conducted a random search of my luggage (random, both pieces???).

Margie

I've Started Cutting Back On Clothes...mix And Match Is Great. For The Formal Nights, I Take A Long Black Skirt That Folds Flat And Doesn't Wrinkle And Take Two Dressy Tops To Wear With It. Shoes Are My Biggest Problem..i Always Take Too Many And They Take Up So Much Space. If You Can Get Along With Less; Do So, And Be Sure They Are Comfortable. In The Past, I've Also Taken Too Many Toiletries That I Don't Use...just Take What You Use Every Day...minimal. I Found That A Beach Bag Is Handy For Swim Suits And Beach Supplies.

Archived