Cancelling a pre-booked cruise.

Jo and Rob

With Princess you were always given the opportunity to change your mind on trips and there was a deadline advertised in the newspaper to do it. I can't remember whether it was the night before of two nights before. I am wondering if P&O offers the same system.

We are considering a trip for the day after we embark. In that case even if the answer to my first question is yes as there would be less than 24 hours to go would it be too late to change our minds?

If you cancel within 24 hours you are still charged for the tour. I suspect this will be the case even if you board less than 24 hours before the trip, unless there is a specific reason for cancelling, which usually requires a Dr's note.

Alternatively if there is someone else to take your place then, depending on the manager a refund is sometimes forthcoming, if you ask VERY nicely!

If you cancel prior to the 24 hour deadline there are no charges and no cancellation fees.

How close can you leave booking a trip to the embarkation date? We are only hesistant as we don't want to pay out for the trip to Honfleur if it will be pouring with rain. We will be docking at Le Havre (hence the possible trip) but we don't think Honfleur in the rain with two children will be much fun!

If you cancel prior to the 24 hour deadline there are no charges and no cancellation fees.

This was NOT the case on the World Cruise. I tried to cancel a trip to Petra, 3 days ahead, because I was very unwell. They flatly refused to allow the cancellation unless I saw the Dr. Since my husbnd IS a Dr this was pointless and in any case the consultation free was similar to my policy excess and the cost of the trip.

I lost well over £100

This was NOT the case on the World Cruise. I tried to cancel a trip to Petra, 3 days ahead, because I was very unwell. They flatly refused to allow the cancellation unless I saw the Dr. Since my husbnd IS a Dr this was pointless and in any case the consultation free was similar to my policy excess and the cost of the trip.

I lost well over £100

Should have pushed for it, if you quote them their own rules and regs, which they have in the back of their info pack it quite clearly states that cancellations can be made up to 24 hours without penalty if you book online prior to your cruise, which I understand Jo and Robs question refers to.

I guess you booked your trip while onboard in the middle of your cruise and not via the P&O site. If you booked while on board, distance selling rules don't apply and you need to have a medical certificate from the SHIPS Dr ONBOARD 24 hours after booking, you can cancel your booking WITHIN 24 hours at no charge! :rolleyes:

Jo and Rob, you can book excursions right up to the day of the departure if they are not fully booked and they will add the cost to your on board account. If you visit shore excursions they will let you know how many tickets are left for each tour each day, so you can decide when to book if unsure about the weather.

No, actually I booked months ahead.

The rule about the ship's Dr I can just about understand - but the figures didn't add up. The cost of seeing the Dr to get a certificate was almost the same as my policy excess, makinbg it pointless since it was almost the same cost of the trip!

In the past they have always allowed cancellation - for medical reasons - up to the day before without evidence to support. In my experience anyway.

Archived