Azura, a few facts..

lynsteve

Thanks for posting the link.

I'm always surprised at how slow cruise liners go.

To start with they don't need to go any faster, but besides that, think of your car. If you go slowly your fuel consumtion is great, put your foot down on a long journey and you have to keep filling the tank :rolleyes:

The biggest 'drag' in a boat, is the hull. There were some experiments years ago, whereby compressed air was pumped out of the hull under the waterline at the bows, the theory being, the boat would ride on bubbles of air. Don't know what happened, but I expect that it cost more to produce the air and pump it out than was saved in fuel.

You look at a Power Boat when at full chat, most is out of the water. If they could get all of it out of the water except the propeller, they would be in their element :D

Speed and boat design are a big issue :eek::eek:

Mike

To start with they don't need to go any faster, but besides that, think of your car. If you go slowly your fuel consumtion is great, put your foot down on a long journey and you have to keep filling the tank :rolleyes:

The biggest 'drag' in a boat, is the hull. There were some experiments years ago, whereby compressed air was pumped out of the hull under the waterline at the bows, the theory being, the boat would ride on bubbles of air. Don't know what happened, but I expect that it cost more to produce the air and pump it out than was saved in fuel.

You look at a Power Boat when at full chat, most is out of the water. If they could get all of it out of the water except the propeller, they would be in their element :D

Speed and boat design are a big issue :eek::eek:

Mike

Now that would be something: Azura skimming the waves as we all try to apply eye make up for dinner :D

I understand why the speed is so slow and of course, there's the emergency stopping time/distance to consider, but how on Earth we crossed the Atlantic at 28 miles (knotts?) per hour in 5 days is beyond me, even though I read the cruise facts leaflet at the end. It feels faster too when you stand at the bow and watch the movement. 28 MPH in my car is almost standing still :eek:

Hi all, we attended a talk onboard the Azura whilst en-route to the Carribean back in October last year, given by the 1st officer I think.

We got the low down on who did what and how long they'd been doing it etc... But we got some great facts including, that the ship travels faster at night and slower during times of high energy demand, as in, before meals and in particular before dinner ( hair driers etc..) this, made obvious the comments between Mrs C and myself how it always feels faster at night...... it is.

Everytime we cruise we learn a bit more.

Archived