just back off POA 1/1 - 1/8

gkeep

Hello! Just got back last night from the POA, our first NCL cruise. I just wanted to try and do a brief review and see if I can answer any questions for anyone.

I must say I was nervous about this cruise as I have read so many less than wonderful reviews. I started looking at this a few years ago, and finally decided that the reviews has improved enough to give it a try.

I live on Kauai, so that makes this trip a little different for me than most of you. This is my 8th cruise, have done Princess, Carnival, and RCI in the past. I am in my late 30's and went with my husband and his parents.

Well, the start of the cruise, embarkation, was probably the only thing that really bothered me. Not a great way to start, but glad that was it. I don't remember reading issues about this from others, but this was not a good set-up compared to other ships I cruised.

It took about 1 hour and 25 minutes to get on the ship. When we arrived there was a HUGE line 1.5 times the front of the building ( outside ). We arrived about 1:20 pm. I asked a worker if this was the line to board, "yes", is it moving, are they open?, "yes", me - is there something going on, why is it so long?, "shrug", me -how long do you think it is taking? and hour or two?, "shrug", "its New years day...". The worker was not pleasant in manner or helpfullness.

Then we waited in a painfully slow moving line for just about an hour with our luggage. When we finally go to the front it was just a line to check in our bags. They had two people checking ids and boarding info (hundreds of people in line) , then you go over and give your bags to a couple of guys with one loading belt. We also found out at this time that you could have paid to have a porter take your luggage to the front of the line and go straight to the next line.

Next line was security, again, two people checking ids and boarding passes, then the secruity check line ( scanners etc), then the check in line for the ship. Thankfully this line had multiple check in stations. Then we finally made it on the ship. My last cruise which was on RCI had porters coming out to the curb to take everyone's luggage and check it in for us even before we could all get out of the taxi. Many, many, people taking and loading all the bags - much, much, more effecient proceedure.

Well, that all done with, our rooms were ready when we boarded. We had a great time after that!

We had an inside cabin, forward on deck 9. It was small, but comparable to another older RCI ship inside cabin we had been in. Adequate room for what we needed. Beds were comfy, lots of storage though closet was a little small. Room was clean enough, not spotless, but fine. I always take along some cleaning wipes anyway and sanitize myself ( hotels and airplanes, too). The only part of the room I thought really needed some cleaning was the mirrored cabinet in the bathroom. The little glass shelves were dirty, and the door itself. Not just streaky, I mean little leftovers and dirt that shows on the wipe.

Our room steward did his job fine, was in and out a couple times a day, was friendly when we passed in the hall, cleaned the bathroom and empited garbages everyday, got extra blankets and pillows when we asked, etc. We had a towel animal everyday. Wasn't great on the ice, but no big deal.

I liked the look of the ship, lots of color and very mis-matched but fun. The ship itself was always clean, always saw workers cleaning. I never had a single bad experience with a worker on board. In fact they were always very helpful, smiling, greeting us, and asking if they could help us with anything. The waiters were always offering suggestions on what to do and where to go in the ports.

The food was fine for us. We never paid to eat in the specialty spots. We just ate the free food. We ate in the Liberty or Skyline every night except prime rib night. We ate that night in the Aloha Cafe. Our waiter suggested the night before to go there for prime rib night because you can get the prime rib at different stations of doneness, and eat as much as you like, and they also had the baked potato bar there with all the trimmings.

We ate in the buffet for breakfast every moring except one (adequate), and lunch always off the ship except once in the dinning room ( ok), and once in the buffet ( lots of selection, enjoyed this). There were some night we liked better than others, but we always found something good to eat.

I liked the Liberty a little better, but the guys didn't always have pants on. The service was faster at both earlier in the cruise, but got slower with more people as they got busier later in the week. We found a waiter for each level that we liked and requested them each time. Ryan upstairs was awesome!

We went to the cadillac diner a few times for late night treats. We weren't impressed enough to ever return for a meal. This was the only place service was lacking.

Sit down dinners and entertainment are what we enjoy most on our cruises. The entertainment was overall good. My very favorite was Buzz the comedian. He was the first night. We chatted with him a number of times over the length of the cruise and he seemed to be everywhere. There was also a magician, good, polynesian show, good, second city comedy, not so good IMO, "oh what a night" singers, good to very good ( though alittle cheesy), Toby Beau, ok to good. There were a few other muscial acts around the ship. I genrally love to listen to the piano bar singer, but did not like the one on this ship at all. We had to struggle to find something to do after the main show, and sometimes just went to bed early. I understand that a lot of people are very tired on this cruise with no sea days, and I think they limit the later entertainment because of this.

We also enjoyed the lei making classes. They teach a kukui nut lei, and orchid lei, and a ribbon lei class on different days. They provide the materials for each one, and then have additional materials for purchase. I really enjoyed learning the ribbon leis, and have already made one to give away here at home. They had a lot of other Hawaiiana classes as well, but they were usually in the early afternoon through early dinner which made them hard to attend if you went into ports. They had hula dancing class all week, language class, Hawaiian rememdies class, and some other ones.

There were some other things, trivia, Karaoke, towel folding class, crew/passenger competitions, scavenger hunt type thing, that we didn't participate in. We also don't drink, but they had a very popular "Pub Crawl". I had read previous posts about people not being able to get their "dailys" the night before in their rooms. We never had this problem thankfully.

I had never been to Maui or The Big Island before, so this was new for me! In Maui we rented a car and drove around the first day. We went to Walmart, Iao valley and a few other places. Had no problem parking at the pier, went snorkling the next day in two spots. Our waiter ( who was raised there) told us not to go to the place we were planning, but to go to mile marker 14 to snorkle because the water was too rough. We REALLY enjoyed this spot. You would never know what wonderful coral and fish are just off the highway here. This is part of the long beach areas all along the highway. You just pull off and park under a tree, and you are right on a little sandy beach. Easy enter, hung our stuff on tree branches. This is also called the "coral gardens" I believe. There were some areas where the waves had stirred up the water, but there were many spots that were very clear. Lots of very pretty varieties and colors of coral, and lots of different kinds of fish. You do have to go out a ways for the best views.

After that we went up North farther to try another spot. I can't remeber the name, but it is a popular spot, the marine preserve? I will add it later. You have alittle hike in through a jungle area, then it is all rocky along the shore of this cove area. My MIL opted to not go in because she was afraid of slipping while getting in and out. The water was a little rougher here. My husband and I swam out. The water was very dirty near the shorline, but if you go out a ways to the coral areas we did finally see some variety of fish and coral and some pretty clear views. The current was a lot stronger here than the other place and it tired us after some time. We did some some sea life that we didn't see at the other spot as well.

In Hilo we spent almost all of our time at VNP. We rented a car here. My MIL can not hike or walk a lot, so this limited us in what we could do some. I really this place! The crater from the different viewpoints, the steam vents, the old lava flows, we walked the Thurston lava tube, and my DH and I went to the very end. Easy to do, and didn't take long. Also drove down the chain of craters road and walked out to the petroglyphs. We had some rain in the morning this day, but it cleared up pretty early.

The sail by that night was a little dissapointing, but still neat. It just looked like red spots on the shore, and with not so great binnoculars, it just made the spots bigger.

In Kona we did a shore excursion, last minute booking with just my husband and I . We did the zodiac tour with Sea Rafting Hawaii. I picked this one because it left from the pier, and didn't leave until 9 am. I didn't want to worry about getting up so early for tender tickets. We went to get off at about 7:30 and were on shore before 8 am. They said a lot of tours left the boat at 8:15 to 8:30 so I didn't want to end up behind them. So we walked around for a while - there is lots of shops and stuff right there at the pier but it was early and not much was open. It was a very pretty aread, and we sat at the seawall for a while, and even watched a turtle in the water.

The snorkling near the Captain Cook monument was amazing! The water was clearer than Maui, and there were more numbers of fish, but I think the coral was prettier and there was more variety of fish in Maui. We had lunch and did some shopping after that, then headed back to the ship.

Since we live on Kauai, we didn't do anything worth writing about. My husband went to work and then coached my sons baseball game. I spent time at home and the kids ( we have three) spent time with their grandparents after school and we went to the baseball game. We stayed on the ship for the next day in Kauai except for a little time spent at the shops close by.

Disembarktion was quick and easy. We got up, had breakfast, and took our own luggage off the ship about 8:30. Took a roberts shuttle to the airport and picked up a rental car. We spent the day in Oahu until going home later that night.

Overall I really enjoyed the cruise. There are things you could pick out and compare negatively to other cruises, but in my opinion nothing dramatic enough to ward of people who want a cruise experience around the Hawaiian Islands. The service was great, the food was good, the islands were amazing, just enjoy!

Great review gkeep, I can't wait to read the rest of it.

I'll be on the POA in April and we are renting a car in Kauai. What sights are a must see from the ground in you opinion? Thanks! We'll see them from the air on the second day.

(So you don't think I'm crazy, you weren't done when I started writing this)

Great review!

Great review gkeep, I can't wait to read the rest of it.

I'll be on the POA in April and we are renting a car in Kauai. What sights are a must see from the ground in you opinion? Thanks! We'll see them from the air on the second day.

Thank you! I hope there aren't too many spelling errors, I did proof-read but not well enough it looks like!

What to do in Kauai! There are so many options and so little time :)

I am glad you are doing and air tour. I have actually never done one, but plan to someday. Everyone I have talked to that has has absolutely loved it!

As far as stuff on the ground. It depends on if you want to "see" stuff, "do" stuff, or just relax. There is really too much to do in the short time you have from the ship. I think one of the best ways to enjoy Kauai is to pick a beach and just sit there for at least half of a day and soak it all in ( swim a little, too). A couple of my favorites are the beach in front of the Waiohai/Poipu beach or Hanalei by the pier.

This island is so beautiful and so so different from one side to the other. If you want to see stuff, drive from one end to the other. The North Shore end is green and tropical, the the other end of the road is dry with lots of sand and you are sitting in the shadow of the start of the Napali cliffs and mountians. Then there is everything in between.

If you want to drive and see stuff, alot of people like to see the Waimea Canyon, stop at glass beach, get a Jo-jo's shave ice. Then drive to Koloa area, stop at the blowhole, maybe a little bit of time at Poipu, get a puka-dog, then head North, stop at the Lighthouse, go to Hanalei, and Kee beach. Those are all great things!

If you like to "do" stuff, there are lots of great adventures to be had. Thats what I love about cruising, landing somewhere and having an adventure you can remember long after you are home. The air trips are one of those adventures!

I also highly recommend a Napali coast boat ride. I know the ship does a drive by, but on ours it was like 5 pm and after. It was already getting dark this time of year, and the sun angled funny. Much better experience from a small boat, whether it is a catamaran type or zodiac.

I have done Blue Dolphin at least 4 times, and love it! This is who we take all our visitors to. We have always seen tons of dolphins, sometimes HUNDREDS, and my last trip we had a whale breach just off the boat! (not typical). These trips are in the morning and I think the light is much better than the evening. You can get up closer, and see more. You can snorkle too, though it doesn't compare to the Maui or Kona. I do seem to get a little sea sick on these though, I don't on the cruise ships. I have usually been in winter time, and the ride can get very up and down and windy.

Other adventures I have enjoyed: kayaking Wailua river and hiking to the falls, atv ride with Kipu Ranch ( there are others I haven't tried), Ziplining with Princeville Ranch, and I really love the Tubing the Ditch tour with Backcountry outfitters ( i think thats the name). These are all great ways to have fun and see Kauai, and learn about Kauai and Hawaii. Kipu Falls is also a great mini-adventure, you do this on your own, but I have to warn people you can get hurt there.

I am sure there is more I am forgetting. I am more familiar with the south shore as well. Let me know if you would like more info on something I mentioned!

I liked the Liberty a little better, but the guys didn't always have pants on.

Maybe we'll avoid the Liberty Dining room :D:D

Thanks for all the information - especially for Kauai. I don't want to overplan but it seems a shame not to take advantage of anything that will help us get a feel for all the greenery.

I'm interested in doing the Kayak Wailua. How strenuous is this? Some of the members in my group are worried.

I'd also love to recommend Kipu Falls - there are 6 teens in our group and I know they'd love it...but I also want to make sure we all get home in one piece...

Maybe we'll avoid the Liberty Dining room :D:D

Our waiter told us that in the Liberty the first night and the last night they do not enforce the no shorts ( luggage is not always available). We were there the last night and my husband wore shorts. The tables seemed a little larger and the chairs were more comfortable in the Liberty. The food was the same menu.

The kayaking is alot of fun but will take a good chunk of time. I am not very physically fit, and while it was work, it was doable. You can go at your own pace. But, I have to say that my husband did more than his share of the work. I would not have had the same experience if I was alone or had someone as "strong" as me as my partner. It would also depend on how windy it is. Coming back against the wind is harder than going up the river. It is generally best to go earlier in the day for less wind as well. Another kayak option would be up in Hanalei. I haven't done it yet, but want to. It would be less of a time commitment and an easier trip. You can rent them up there.

Kipu falls is great fun! It is a beautiful spot, too. We have had many trips there on our own and taking friends, and never had injuries. BUT there are many who would tell you it is dangerous, like ER docs... You have to use common sense and be careful. People often slip on the rocks and break bones, or hurt themselves jumping off the waterfall, or not letting go of the rope swing and hitting the rocks on the way back. I have only jumped off once, and it hurt when I landed. Not interested in trying it again. But my husband and kids have done it multiple times. Also, if it has rained much recently the water will be very high and it will get more dangerous or impossible to cross the river there. The water is dirtier then too. Be sure and bring bug repellant. You will need to rent a car to get there, and of course, don't leave your valuables in the car :).

FYI: I do not bring small children here, babies, or toddlers. As a mom of young kids I just don't see the point. There is no where for them to be or walk around. If you hold them you have to pretty much stay in one spot because you are walking around on boulders with water flowing around them ( that flows off of a cliff).

So did I do my duty in warning you? The teenagers will love this place, they just need to be careful.

I was just teasing about the "no pants" :eek: ;)

The cruise dining room is always one of my favourite things about a cruise and we actually enjoy dressing up a bit. I guess PofA is a little different...

I think we may just try Kipu Falls. Yes, you did your duty to warn us. The kids in the group are all pretty level-headed so I think we may be ok - and the youngest is 13. I would love to try the kayaking too...decisions, decisions.

Thanks again!

I think we may just try Kipu Falls. Yes, you did your duty to warn us. The kids in the group are all pretty level-headed so I think we may be ok - and the youngest is 13. I would love to try the kayaking too...decisions, decisions. Thanks again!

I hate to add to the difficult decisions you must make :rolleyes: before your cruise (I'm kidding of course, that is half the fun at least it is for us) but you might also want to look into going to Wailua Falls http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/wailua_falls.html . <---- This web sight will give you a thousand more ideals for things to do at the different ports you will be visiting (again Sorry in advance :D). Wailua Falls is a lot bigger waterfall and it's only a few minutes from Lihu'e, hey maybe you can do both Kipu and Wailua. The trail down to the pool at Wailua Falls is a little difficult about 1/3 of a mile with a fairly steep grade, especially if it is muddy, but the base of the falls is really beautiful with a lot of places to sit and relax or take a dip in the cool water. It is usually very clear and makes for some memorable photo ops with a Hugh waterfall in the background.

2138643940091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Like gkeep said a drive around the island is well worth the time in my opinion with many of the better stops just a few minutes off the main road. The lighthouse or I should say a stop at the cliffs overlooking the Lighthouse is a quick (30 minutes total usually) yet very worth while stop, and no trip would be complete for us without at least doing a short hike on the Kalalua Trail http://www.condosinkauai.com/Kalalau_Trail.html . Just minutes on the trail and you will see some great views of the really beautiful Na Pali Coast. A true do not miss on Kauai in both our opinions.

Well have fun and good luck with the planning and don't even get me started on your stop in Hilo I mean who in their right mind would really want to see Molten Red Hot Lava? Check this guys blog for daily (almost daily anyway) updates on Lava flow at the public viewing area) http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/ ;)

2485908370091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Quote from diverearl :

"Wailua Falls is a lot bigger waterfall and it's only a few minutes from Lihu'e, hey maybe you can do both Kipu and Wailua. The trail down to the pool at Wailua Falls is a little difficult about 1/3 of a mile with a fairly steep grade, especially if it is muddy, but the base of the falls is really beautiful with a lot of places to sit and relax or take a dip in the cool water. It is usually very clear and makes for some memorable photo ops with a Hugh waterfall in the background"

Just so others understand, Kipu Falls is smaller in height which is why it is popular for jumping off. There is also a rope swing that goes out over the river/swimming area below the falls. You hike down a short easy path and come out at the top of the waterfall area which is roughly a half circle wall of rocks. You can jump off a number of places along this wall, below is a deep swimming hole area. You do need to jump out from the wall to avoid rocks. There is a tall metal ladder to get you back up the rock wall. You can hike down and around if you don't want to jump though I have never tried to find the trail. It is very shady, lots of trees and has a jungle Indiana Jones type feel to it.

Wailua falls is very pretty and very easy to drive up to, get out, and take some photos.

This is all great information. I've got the other ports figured out but for some reason I'm having a hard time with Kauai. Booking the helicopter tour has helped because we'll get a good overview.

I love that "Jungle" feel stuff, which is why I'm interested in the Kayaking and Kipu falls. Wailua Falls looks gorgeous too. The rain is a double-edged sword - it makes for a nicer falls but makes the trail all muddy...But from what I gather you can look from afar too?

Thanks again to all for taking the time to post such detailed information. I'm sure it will help all kinds of people - not just me.

Something in your initial review caught my eye...can you give me more information about paying a porter to pick up your luggage and move you through the check out process faster? How does one secure this porter? Thanks

Isn't it funny, how peoples experience differs. Cadillac Diner was our favorite. We went there for 3 breakfasts, a couple of lunches and maybe a snack. No late nights however. Matthew is absolutley the chirpiest guy ever, just a pleasure to see around, also 1 day my husband ordered a panini and said to me he didn't like it much. Well Monica walked past, saw it and said-"thats burnt, who seved you that" took it away and replaced it in a flash.

Also we planned on arriving at the ship at 3.00pm and walked straight on, and our room was ready. You lucky thing to live on Kauai. We loved it, so so beautiful, and while cruising Napali coast, sitting on the balcony, a Humpback popped up to check us out!!!

I do plan on doing a report soon.

Cheers Guys

Archived