prescription snorkel masks

chuckschick

I need a prescription mask in order to see snorkeling. Does anyone have have an idea who to order from online that they have used and are satisfied with?:)

I too suffer from the malady of myopia. I had real good service from scuba.com but I am sure there are others out there. They go by .5 diopters and will install the lens for you. Service was fast. I think I had my mask in less than a week.

By all means get it done. I didn't know what I was missing until our last cruise. I even took a picture of a Barracuda.

Hope this helps.

Clackey

I like my Tusa Splendive mask with the script lenses - very good service and pretty cheaply priced - from scubatoys.com. The owner, Larry, has been great to deal with - I think he sees snorkelers as future divers. It worked on me...

If this link works, the mask I have is near the bottom of the page. Because it is so darn long and probably won't work, if you just go to the main site, just click on masks and then there will be a place to click for prescription masks, if I remember right, in the center top of the page.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=prescriptionmask

I used to put in my contacts to snorkel (the only other time I'd wear them is on Halloween!). So I went to Sports Authority (a regular sporting goods store where I live) and they had 3 strengths of magnifying masks. I needed the lowest magnification. You might try some on and see what they do for you. I also have astigmatism, but I LOVED the mask and would highly recommend one for those who don't want to lay out the money for their exact RX.

I called my eye doctor and found out what magnification he suggested. Bought a great mask from snorkelmart.com

I have been completley happy with it. Be sure to scrub the inside with plain toothpaste to get rid of the film they put on when manufacturing it.

I used to put in my contacts to snorkel (the only other time I'd wear them is on Halloween!). So I went to Sports Authority (a regular sporting goods store where I live) and they had 3 strengths of magnifying masks. I needed the lowest magnification. You might try some on and see what they do for you. I also have astigmatism, but I LOVED the mask and would highly recommend one for those who don't want to lay out the money for their exact RX.

did the same. it was a great option(about $60) since i probably won't be using it much.I was able to see just great and I'm about 20/400 with some astigmatism too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had several made over the years.

I have used my local dive shop and I am sure there was some tacked on for their effort, but then if I wan't happy with it, guess how far I would have to go to deal with it versus on line.

My lenses are bifocals and they were bonded in a conventional mask that I already owned and liked. It did make it a bit heavier with more "glass" in the front.

;) We booked a snorkeling excursion for our upcoming cruise on the Pride (3/27/05). I don't know where my head was, but I didn't even think about needing a corrective mask--I'm nearsighted--even though I'd used one scuba diving a few years ago. I know that some operators have one or two Rx masks around, but if you're not the first one to ask for such a mask, you're probably out of luck!

After reading a few of the threads here, I literally rushed over to leisurepro.com and was delighted to find a Body Glove corrective lense snorkeling mask for just $59.95. I checked my recent prescription and ordered the mild (-.5 to -2.00) Rx. They offer 3 strengths--mild, moderate, and strong (up to a -6.00 correction). 2nd day air delivery was just $4.00 over the regular ground fee.

I received the mask today, 3/21/05--I ordered it on 3/17/05. It's great--lightweight and the lenses make things in the distance nice and sharp.

I priced getting lenses in my exact Rx at a local dive shop and the total with the mask would have been about $40-$80 more, depending on the base mask.

I'll post again after I use the mask for my snorkeling trip. One thing I'm certain of is that this will be a big improvement over having no correction at all.

I use progressive lens glasses since I need tri-focals. I have previously used a small stick-on diopter magnifier to read my gages. I just bought a new mask (needed one anyway) and am having my prescription inserted in a bi-focal mode. Can't wait to get it back and try it out. I'll let y'all know how it works.

When we got our equipment, I opted for straight diopter lenses (rather than my exact prescription) because they were sooo much less expensive. I know my prescription will change over time anyway. The lenses came in 1/4 diopter increments. I chose the ones that were 1/4 less than I need. Now I see perfectly and my mask fits perfectly too.

The dive shop guys changed out the lenses for me while we waited. We were leaving on a cruise 2 days later. They told us to come in on our way to the airport if we had any problems during the week.

I don't have much astigmatism and have no prism correction. I don't know how the lenses would work for that. You might need your exact prescription.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

:) Well, I'm back from the cruise with my report.

The Body Glove mask that I purchased worked like a dream. I put it in bubble wrap in a tupperware container and packed it in my carry-on luggage.

In Cabo San Lucas, we went snorkeling in Santa Maria cove. The mask had a comfortable seal and I was able to see very well both under and above the water. I'm looking forward to snorkeling again very soon because this mask makes it such a pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...

Just fininshed my first dives since I get the prescription lenses in my new mask. Boy!! I didn't realize how much I was missing under water. I saw details I had never seen before with the new mask. Well worth the money no matter how much it costs. I highly recommend getting a mask that you can see with.

My dive trip report is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=169288

• 2 weeks later...

We have a dive shop in the greater Philadelphia area where I just got mine, they did it while I waited, 10 minutes, it will be so great to be able to see when we criuse in July!! I am sure if you use a good search engine you should be able to find one at a reasonable price, good luck.

I need a prescription mask in order to see snorkeling. Does anyone have have an idea who to order from online that they have used and are satisfied with?:)

My husband had terrible eyesight and after diving a few times with a regular mask had a prescription mask made to order. What a difference it made! He only used it a few times, but enjoyed the diving so much more when he could see!

A couple of months ago he took the plunge and had Lasic eye surgery done. Now his distance vision is perfect so he has no need for the prescription mask. In fact he is out diving this morning with the new mask he just ordered.

Do you think there is any market for a prescription mask that was only used a few times? I thought about putting it up for sale on Ebay, but husband said I was crazy. Am I?? :confused:

Do you think there is any market for a prescription mask that was only used a few times? I thought about putting it up for sale on Ebay, but husband said I was crazy. Am I?? :confused:

Absolutely sell it! Most masks come in standard diopters (rather than a specific prescription) so they can be easily used by a number of people. I just checked eBay and there's five or six for sale ranging from $7 to $99.

Kathi

I purchased a generic mask (medium correction) at Sports Authority. It was great. I didn't know what I was missing, although when I got to the dive shop, they had the same mask I could have used. Still, it was a good purchase as we snorkle whenever possible., and plan to take a PADI course before our next cruise.

Archived