16 yo daughter- Carnival says no permission letter needed...

Celebrating40

According to my TA, she spoke with Carnival and being that my daughter is 16 we don't need the permission letter from her father to travel. He is not in her life, there is an order of protection against him and there is no way to get a letter from him.

The TA said Carnival said that since she is older they don't require this. Anyone have a similar experience? I don't want to wind up at the ship and not be able to travel. She went to Italy with school without any extra permission letter.

Thanks in advance.

According to my TA, she spoke with Carnival and being that my daughter is 16 we don't need the permission letter from her father to travel. He is not in her life, there is an order of protection against him and there is no way to get a letter from him.

The TA said Carnival said that since she is older they don't require this. Anyone have a similar experience? I don't want to wind up at the ship and not be able to travel. She went to Italy with school without any extra permission letter.

Thanks in advance.

Cruiseline employees are not immigration agents, and this agent was incorrect with their "advice". Your cruise is going to Mexico, isn't it? Mexican law requires that minors traveling without their parents, or with only one parent, present proof that they have their parents' authorization for travel. Any person under 18 years old is considered a minor for travel purposes.

http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html

Despite what their employee told you, Carnival holds all passengers responsible for obtaining the documentation they need to board:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

Unless you have sole custody, and you don't say you do, if you can't get a letter, you'll need to obtain the court's permission and bring this documentation, or you can be denied boarding.

One rule of cruising is, you never trust what their customer service agents say. You can bet that if your travel agent called another CSA, the answer would be different. These people don't have a clue about government rules. And, FYI, a 16 year old is not considered an adult, but is still a minor. I agree with 6rugrats. A Carnival CSA doesn't jack about the travel rules for Mexico, or even the US for that matter.

Agree with 6rugrats, and you want to go back to the court that issued the protective order to get an order stating that you can travel alone with her. The order of protection alone is not sufficient, the criteria for entering a protective order vary by state law, and it may not have any meaning to a foreign immigration officer. You can contact Legal Aid in your area if you need help getting the court order for travel.

I have been cruising with my kids and my step-children for 10+ years and never been asked for a permission letter. Not saying that one is not required, I've just never been asked to present one.

I am taking my granddaughter, without her parents, in April and have already printed out a permission letter and medical release to have them sign and notorized.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one for my seventeen year olds (the only other minors traveling).

I say it's better to be safe than sorry... those kids would be super disappointed if they packed all their stuff, talked for months about their upcoming cruise, traveled all day to the cruise ship... just to be told "nope sorry, you aren't getting on".. oh, "and there's no refunds". Honestly, Mexico doesn't know if you have custody of your child or not, or if her Dad isn't in her life.. all they know is that they are trying to combat child abductions.. as a lot of Americans that steal their own children take them to Mexico. As well, Carnival doesn't know if you plan to get off in port and never get back on the boat for the purposes of abducting your own child.. Like I said, don't disappoint your children.. make sure you take care of the essentials. This isn't like saying you're going to the zoo one day and then realizing you can't take them... this is a much bigger deal to children.

Archived