Car rental in Honolulu at the pier

NANCYR2

We are coming to Honolulu by ship and want to rent a car. Would I have to to take a taxi to the car rental office?

Are there shuttles at the pier to the rental offices?

Thrifty ran shuttles frrm the cruise terminal when we disembarked.

As Boytjie said, Thrifty has a shuttle to the pier when you disembark. Just make your reservation for the airport location. A few other companies had shuttles too but their shuttles were vans and not everyone could fit. Thrifty runs a big bus-type shuttle. Sign up for their free Blue Chip program for faster service when you arrive at the office. They have a separate desk for Blue Chip members.

Except for Kona, does Thrifty provide a shuttle at every port to the airport Thrifty location WITHOUT advanced confirmation?

I noticed (later), for example, that Kauai had a CRUISE PICKUP option that I didn't notice - I had booked Thrifty Kauai airport. Will that cause me problems when I get there or will I be able to use the shuttle?

Except for Kona, does Thrifty provide a shuttle at every port to the airport Thrifty location WITHOUT advanced confirmation?

I noticed (later), for example, that Kauai had a CRUISE PICKUP option that I didn't notice - I had booked Thrifty Kauai airport. Will that cause me problems when I get there or will I be able to use the shuttle?

You don't need to use the Cruise Pickup option. We used the airport location at all ports, except Kona, and it was fine. There was one port, I think Maui, where they would only let people with reservations board the shuttle but it didn't matter if you choose the airport location or cruise pickup.

You don't need to use the Cruise Pickup option. We used the airport location at all ports, except Kona, and it was fine. There was one port, I think Maui, where they would only let people with reservations board the shuttle but it didn't matter if you choose the airport location or cruise pickup.

Phew that's a relief. Thanks!

What is the difference at Kona? I mean is the rental car agency right there at the Port in Kona, or?

Just to clarify, I'm using my Aeroplan airmiles to book my car rentals at each port, and my only choice for most ports is "Airport". Hertz or Avis

Thanks

What is the difference at Kona? I mean is the rental car agency right there at the Port in Kona, or?

Just to clarify, I'm using my Aeroplan airmiles to book my car rentals at each port, and my only choice for most ports is "Airport". Hertz or Avis

Thanks

In Kona, there is a Thrifty and Dollar across the street from the pier in the King Kam Hotel so it's more convenient to just walk there instead of having to wait for a shuttle. According to HawaiiCruiseCars.com, Enterprise provides a shuttle in Kona but you have to call them. Avis and Budget do not so you would need to take a taxi to their office or walk. You should call their office to verify though.

Great car rental information...Thanks! Pride on May 14th. I've read different things about the car rentals in Maui ...can you help?

Someone posted just walk to Advantage or Enterprise from the dock. If you keep your car over night you can park in their lot if the dock parking is full. I did a Google Map of the area and it looks like a long walk. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like a safe or good walk at night from Advantage to the dock.

Also not really excited about getting tied up at the airport with hundreds of people getting cars.

Mahalo

More research and just noticed the branch office at 40 Hana Way, Kahului is closed on Sunday. That seems silly with a cruise ship in port. I'll check with Advantage and see if they are closed on Sunday. If so, it's back to the airport.

I would just like to clarify the pick up at the pier.

If I rent from Thrify, will there be a shuttle to take you to the rental office?

Does anyone know if Hertz runs a shuttle?

Thanks

Yes for Thrifty. Don't know about Hertz as we only rented from Thrifty throughout the whole trip.

Here you go...

HONOLULU AIRPORT

3147 N. NIMITZ HWY

HONOLULU INTL AIRPORT

HONOLULU, HI 96819

(808) 831-2266

KAHULUI AIRPORT - MAUI

935 E MOKUEA ST.

KAHULUI, HI 96732

808-871-6339

HILO AIRPORT

1 GENERAL LYMAN FIELDHILO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

HILO, HI 96720

(808) 961-6696

Kona - King Kamameha Hotel

75-5660 Palani Road

Kailua Kona, HI

808-331-0531

LIHUE AIRPORT - KAUAI

3273 HOOLIMALIMA PLACE

LIHUE, HI 96766

(808) 245-7369

Here you go...

HONOLULU AIRPORT

3147 N. NIMITZ HWY

HONOLULU INTL AIRPORT

HONOLULU, HI 96819

(808) 831-2266

KAHULUI AIRPORT - MAUI

935 E MOKUEA ST.

KAHULUI, HI 96732

808-871-6339

HILO AIRPORT

HILO, HI 96720

(808) 961-6696

75-5660 Palani Road

Kailua Kona, HI

808-331-0531

LIHUE AIRPORT - KAUAI

3273 HOOLIMALIMA PLACE

LIHUE, HI 96766

(808) 245-7369

Thanks! this is what I needed.

Here you go...

HONOLULU AIRPORT

3147 N. NIMITZ HWY

HONOLULU INTL AIRPORT

HONOLULU, HI 96819

(808) 831-2266

KAHULUI AIRPORT - MAUI

935 E MOKUEA ST.

KAHULUI, HI 96732

808-871-6339

HILO AIRPORT

HILO, HI 96720

(808) 961-6696

75-5660 Palani Road

Kailua Kona, HI

808-331-0531

LIHUE AIRPORT - KAUAI

3273 HOOLIMALIMA PLACE

LIHUE, HI 96766

(808) 245-7369

Thanks! this is what I needed.

FYI - rental cars are a scarce commodity when cruise ships are in port.

Do NOT plan on being able to walk up and rent a car without a reservation, especially on the smaller islands.

There were quite a few disappointed folks on our last cruise.

There is no cancellation fee for most rental agencies so there's no reason nnot to reserve a car in advance. You can cancel before you arrive in port without a problem. But be sure to read the reservation fine print.

We rented cars in every port in September/Oct. I used www.hawaiiancruisecars.com and we had cars from Alamo in every port. It was quick and easy. We then chose to get an Alamo rental on Oahu at the Waikiki office that was RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the Hawaii Prince Hotel we stayed at for one night pre cruise. The staff were happy to drop us at the Aloha Tower cruise terminal when we were finished with the car and ready to head out on our cruise. We had stopped at the store and had cases of water and pop to load also! We parked the car for the night at the lot in front of the cruise dock at the Aloha Tower and left before 0700 and the charge was $0!!! Drive away before the attendant arrives and there is nobody to pay!! The ONLY bargain we encountered in Hawaii! :p,

Are you able to take Thrifty Shuttle from Airport to the cruise terminal after you drop off your car?

Most of the Thrifty offices are not actually IN the airport but near it. Yes, you can take the shuttle back to the pier after dropping off your car. If you are dropping off your car late in the evening (after 6 pm), make sure you ask how late the shuttle runs and be prepared to take a taxi if you return it later than the shuttle runs. Also, find out the latest you can return the car before the office closes.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm rereading this thread and want to make sure I understand what I need to do at each port. Sorry to be such a worrywart but we want to go to Pearl harbor when we disembark so I don't want any delays.

Are the shuttles there automatically or do I have to call when I get there to make sure they arrive. The reason I ask is that the Honolulu Airport Thrify location suggests we call when we are ready to leave. (I think I read that on the Hawaii discount rental site) but some past cruisers seemed to indicate that the shuttles were waiting...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Archived