Touring with a family in NYC

cruisinbanddirectors

I posted this on the East Coast Departures board but thought I might get some different kinds of responses on here.

It's looking like a good possibility that we may be cruising out of NYC this summer. I have been there 3 times previously, so been there done that. However, my DH has never been there so I would like for him to get to see the major sites. Our DS will be 3 at the time we cruise. We would probably be there a full day before cruising.

My question is do you think (keeping the toddler in mind) that we'd be better off picking the sites we especially want to visit and do them on our own using subway, etc. or would we do better to use a sightseeing company? I have always done it on my own in NYC but wondered if a set tour might work better in this case...packing lots in and not having to worry about navigating ourselves.

Thoughts?

Is this for your cruise in June? If so, then I'd definitely say try to do it on your own. Then you can see what you want and on your own schedule, which we all know will actually be DS's schedule. I've got a little DD (16 months old right now) and we take her into the city frequently to visit my sister. We drive in with her (we live in the suburbs), park the car and then do what we want when we want to. Usually that entails walking around the upper east side where my sister lives - we've done central park and the museums with DD too many times to count - but we've also taken her by subway down to Chinatown for dim sum and actually just took her to see the tree on Christmas Eve. To me, the minor hassle of dealing with the subway is well worth being on our own schedule and doing/seeing exactly what we want. Plus, in June, the weather should be nice enough to make getting around reasonably easy and enjoyable.

I couldn't even imagine being stuck on a sightseeing tour if DD decided to lose her stuffing and have a meltdown!:eek:

I agree with Beth. We make great use of the subway systems when we go to NYC with the kids. I like the flexibility to stop and stare at the pigeons for a little longer if we want. :D

I study the maps and even take a book of NYC with me so I know where everything is and have some sort of plan before I go. But then I know that I can drop some sights if we can't make it.

I'd say you're both probably right the more I think about it. It will just take a lot more advanced planning to make sure to catch as much as we can in the most sensible order.

Strangely enough though, after we're factoring in airfare, the NYC thing is looking a little less likely. Starting to think we might do the Dream out of Port Canaveral. If we do that, we'll definitely do 1 day precruise at the Land of the Mouse (DS hasn't been yet). That would definitely be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one suggestion for you if you haven't already changed your mind, and that's to try one of the hop-on, hop-off open air buses. There are a couple of companies that do this, one I believe is Big Apple. You pay approximately $35/pp (there's a discount you can get for booking on-line), and it's a guided tour to most of the main attractions. You can get off to spend more time in an area that interests you or when DD has had enough of being on the bus. However, being outside and having so many interesting things to see usually keeps little ones more engaged than they might be otherwise.

In our experience, the hop on hop off buses are great if your touring the city. We lived a half hour or so away for 2 years, so we were constantly taking friends and family in when they visited. The subway is a great experience, but depending on day/time/line, it can be crowded which can be intimidating for those who aren't used to it. The maps can be confusing, too. ;) Either way you go, don't try to squeeze too much in. People often make a big list or want to see everything, but they underestimate the time it will take on the subway, walking the streets, etc. It's almost like Disney- you can't see and do it all, so don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Great suggestions! We are doing a stopover in NYC on our way to Barcelona for our transatlantic cruise. We will be in NYC for a little over 48 hours, staying near Bryant Park, and are looking at things to do. I have not been to NYC in almost 20 years! First time for our two girls (who will be ages 5 and 1).

Archived