WIFI on the Sky?

Randus62

Is there Wifi in the cabins on the Sky?

I can't say about Sky but at least on Jewel the WiFi was so weak in Fwd Minisuite that I ended up getting an cable from the internet cafe. Due to the nature of the ship (metal and lots of it) I wouldn't depend on WiFi if possible.

On my coming trip to Pearl I'm going to pack my own cable just to be sure.

I don't remember if I had Wifi on the Sky last time I cruised it. (It was still the Pride). However, I just got off the Pearl last week and I had a very strong signal in my Cabin 14512. However, I did have one major problem with the Internet on the ship. NCL blocked certain applications such as Magic Jack and Skype. I presume that was to save bandwidth.

• 6 months later...

I just learned that I will have to work this upcoming weekend on my Sky cruise and found this thread to be helpful/reassuring. Can anyone who has used wifi recently let me know where they found the best places to get signal on the Sky and how painfully slow (or pleasantly fast) the internet speed was?

Thanks!

In general, all NCL ships have Wi-Fi. Whether there is Wi-Fi in your cabin depends on the ship. On an older (more mature) ship you may have to go to the Internet Desk or Reception area for access.

Internet access is not free. You have to sign up and buy minutes in the Internet Café. I usually buy a package of 90 minutes for $50. That will last me throughout a 2-week T/A. They also have other plans listed on their web site. I find that the most important thing is to know how to sign OFF when you are done, to stop the clock. :) Every session to exchange emails, once a day, takes between 4 and 6 minutes. No surfing the web for me, too expensive. I use an iPod touch, my little window to the world.

Thank you Juergen (and Helen)! I had heard the sky did not have wireless at all and, unfortunately, I'll be purchasing a gigantic package b/c I need to be connected to a remote server to work, but I agree your tips are great-- everyone should set up a local mail client and read and draft responses OFFLINE to save money.

All the information about wifi & internet access on NCL is located here:

http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

JennAngel9, you're probably going to find the internet access painfully slow. I'd suggest downloading as much of your work material as you can get BEFORE you are on the ship. Use the ship's internet only for email if at all possible.

Also, if you regularly use a VNC to log into your work server, be aware that it may not work on the ship's internet. Maybe someone who has used or tried to use one can comment on that...

Anyway, you're on vacation! What's up with this "have to work" thing? We're all giving up way too much of our free time to work these days, and it's not a good thing.

Thanks VideoTech. I'm lucky to have a career that I like, but it requires a certain level of dedication and flexibility when filing dates come up at the last moment... if it makes you feel better, I took 3 weeks in Australia within the last year and only worked two or three of those days. :)

Archived