renting a car for the day in acapulco?

kosoffj

Since we are there for the whole day would it be wise to rent a car? We have done it in Cozumel with great success and was wondering if it was a good option here. Thanks!

(in case it matters we will be on the star from la on 3/13)

I can't imagine trying to drive in Acapulco and I've driven in a lot of places!! There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the traffic patterns. Cozumel is quite a bit smaller and more tourist friendly.

We watched cabs drafting along side ambulances and police cars to get through traffic. wheeee!!!

If you are to get in an accident, you are guilty until proven innocent, which is basically when the judge decides to let you go. You may also get stopped for any reason and expected to "pay" enough to get let go without a ticket. Your US insurance does not cover you in Mexico so you also need to buy their insurance, which may or may not cover you.

Long story short, I don't recommend it. You'll thank me when you see the traffic situation!

Hello,

My wife and I have been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Cancun and Cozumel. We have rented cars in all of these places and have driven with no problems. Just be conservative, just as you would when driving in a new American City that you were visiting. Yes, when looking at the traffic it seems kind of scary and that there may not be any traffic laws. But I'm sure there is. The way I describe driving in Mexico is there aren't really rules, just guidelines. Just remember, a red light still means stop and don't drink and drive and you will be fine. Also when you rent the cars they offer the insurance that covers everything. Buy it, it will be worth it if something does happen. Also, stick to a name you recognize "Hertz, Avis etc...They do have them down there.

Good Luck and don't worry,

I wouldn't do it. Acapulco is different from all of the other Mexican ports. The traffic is wild there. Even being a passenger in a taxi can be an adventure. Better to leave the driving in Acapulco to the natives.

Archived