More cruising + same cruise line = Diminishing level of happiness?

I have been pouring over the boards in advance of our next trip on Jewel of the Sea. I hit upon an interesting thought after looking at one particular post. My wife and I have been on two RCI cruises and we have had wonderful times on both, (well actually we had trouble in every port on the first one) but I am pretty sure we were not quite as good time on the second one as the first one. Now the difference may be ecstatic to a really, really great time, and I am not trying to be negative on RCI it could be any cruise line.

My question is for the veteran cruisers should we move around and try some different lines? Or does the built in benefits of RCI muti-cruise programs out weight that? Should we just try different ships and itineraries within RCI?

Any day on the ship beats being at work but for a young couple who want to cruise a lot what do you think would be the best path?

It is a matter of personal preference. If you are looking for something you are not getting on a cruise line, i.e. nightlife, cuisine, children's programs, itinerary, etc. then you should definitely try another.

We have been on a few and we actually prefer RCI, but that is us. You may want to experience other before you can make a qualifed judgement.

You say you are young, then by all means try something different as you have a something to compare it with. You need to do a little research to find the criteria you are looking for.

Happy cruising

We have done mainly RCCL. The Jewel is a GREAT ship. She is stunning, and well laid out.

We tried Princess a couple of months ago. We liked it just as much as RCCL, maybe a bit more in certain areas. Honeslty it felt like we were on RCCL. We now finshed our 10th cruise and will be sailing other lines if we see something we like. The only benefit we have had by being supportive of one cruise line is free drinks 1-2 nights. Also the coupon books on the ship save us about $50 pp from seapass purchases.

We will be looking towards Celebrity and Princess again. Not so sure about Carnival. I did a Carnival back in 2000 with my ex-husband, and the price would have to be REALLY good for me to sail their line again. (Ships just aren't very pretty).

I hope this helps. I did take 800 pictures of the Jewel. Most are ship only. http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/

:) Bobbie

Thanks, for the great pictures Bobbie, for the first couple pages it looked like you guys were alone on the ship. Anyone going on Jewel should check those out.

I was thinking this was a more of base question does cruising ever become disappointing? We will be doing Jewel than two more cruises until we go back to Disney for our daughters fix. I was just wondering if we should stray?

That is something you need to discover for yourself. The benefits from the crown and anchor aren't all that great, it is better than nothing, but not that big a deal. We tried Princess and Carnival. We have been happiest with the product that RCI gives us. That doesn't mean that RCI is any better, just that WE like it better. Everyones taste is different.

In the mainstream cruise industry, the lines are very similar. At this point, we are getting ready for #8 with RCI next week. The only reason we would switch would be to go up, to Celebrity for example.

Lastly, I haven't noticed any change from our first cruise in 99 to now other than the ships. The food and service has been fairly consistant with a few exceptions. The ships are getting better and better and it seems like RCI is the most progressive in their designs and amenities on their fleet.

In April, I am going on my 19th. cruise. Have been on just about every major line and even on some that aren't around anymore. When I'm thinking about a cruise, I decide when & where I want to go first. Then I look to see what all the major lines offer for that itinerary. This year I will be on RCCL and Carnival for cruises and also taking a land vacation.

I enjoy every line I've been on and they do have some differences but not any that really make a difference. Try another line and you can decide for yourself. I don't think the benefits are that great for repeat cruisers on any of the lines.

Norma

I used to travel as a regular passenger, and now I am able to go on cruises much more often, as a lecturer. (Usually on RCI, sometimes Princess)

So this is a question I have asked myself, too.

But I have come around to: a cruise is what you make of it. Different ports, different ships, different lines, different parts of the world, different travel companions can make a difference, but overall it is the wonder of being on the open seas that will never grow old for me.

I am on the Navigator in 10 days - having just come off the Radiance in December and the Splendour in September. But I am as excited as before my first cruise, or after it! Having 'been there, done that' just makes it more terrific - I know what a great week is in store for my friend and I!

My question is for the veteran cruisers should we move around and try some different lines? Or does the built in benefits of RCI muti-cruise programs out weight that? Should we just try different ships and itineraries within RCI?

Any day on the ship beats being at work but for a young couple who want to cruise a lot what do you think would be the best path?

The Crown and Anchor perks are very good but life is too short not to try alternatives to RCI. As much as we've enjoyed cruising over the years it does get boring after a while like anything else. We've had countless land vacations in the islands that have been just as much fun.

We cannot relate to your last paragraph in that we always loved our work and our lives on land. Cruising is a nice vacation but that's all it is IMHO.

Bob

My DW and I choose cruises by two criteria: itinerary and new cruiseline/ship. My first cruise was over 30 years ago on the TSS Fiesta (Chandris, forerunner of Celebrity, but 3200 gross tons and 300 passengers!) in the eastern Med. My wife and I look first at itinerary, but it is getting very difficult for us to get to a new island in the Caribbean. We may do the Millenium in April since we have only been to DR once. We plan to celebrate our 25th anniversary in Dec on the Sea Princess in order to get to Trinidad, St Vincent, and Bonaire or Curacao. We have done several cruises on Carnival, but they don't go any place new for us...except the Spirit to Alaska which has our perfect itinerary. Take a chance...try other lines. You can always come back to RCL, but you'll never know what others are like unless you try them.

Try new lines. We've tried most of the major lines but always return to RCI. Sometimes going elsewhere is wonderful, sometimes not but we're always up for a new adventure.

Archived