Review: Capt Bryan's Buccaneer Stingray City

brentp

My wife and I recently enjoyed our day in Grand Cayman with a snorkel trip to the Stingray City sandbar. We booked this tour on the Buccaneer catamaran with Captain Bryan’s prior to our departure through the below website (booked via EMAIL). This trip included 2 other snorkel stops in addition to Stingray City.

Grand Cayman Excursions

All I can say Wow, . . . What a day!!!!

This was our third time to Grand Cayman, . . . but our first to Stingray city. The Buccaneer is a sailing catamaran. There were a total of 23 people on board. Wow, only 23 people!!! We used the motors on the way out (strong head wind), and sailed on the way back. Cost was $39/pp. When we got to the stingray city sand bar, . . . it was a zoo. There was no place to park. Not a problem. The captain simply took us to the barrier reef (one of our other scheduled stops). This was very, very close by (say a couple of hundred yards). This reef is incredible by itself. There are tons of coral and sea life. The captain dove in and with some bait and got a very large green moray eel to come out. Simply incredible! We spend 20 – 25 minutes here. Could have spent much more time.

Back at the sand bar, . . . thing were quieting down a bit so we headed over there. Those Stingrays are huge!!!! We got tons of time with the rays, touching, feeding, the whole nine yards. We had a very great time. The diver that was shooting video for us mentioned on the way out that you haven’t been to the Cayman’s until you have been to Stingray city. I now know why. Only downer while we were there was that some goofball on one of the cruise sponsored tours tried to climb on board and ‘ride’ a ray. I guess they do not keep that good of an eye on their people and/or train them well. One of the rays did not like this much at all and I really thought the guy was going to end up getting stung (I have read that it does happen 2 – 3 times a year, and usually for stupid human reasons like this). We stayed away from that area because he was getting a number of the rays worked up. Again we spent about 20 – 25 minutes at the sand bar.

From there, we move to our last stop at the ‘aquarium’. The aquarium is a coral formation in the sandy area inside of the barrier reef. I wasn’t sure about this site at first. However, again there was tons of sea life all around. The captain was also able to get a couple of more eels out this time (the black w/white dotted one was beautiful). Again, we spent about 20 – 25 minutes here.

We then headed back – with the sails and the wind like I said. They have a cash bar on board which they opened at this time. Don’t know what they have, . . . we didn’t try it. We bought the video from the diver ($55 video, $65 DVD). Expensive, but we felt this would be an experience we would want the memories of, . . . and he certainly earned it. He was diving with a tank and took some great shots (we pre-viewed on board – final product will be mailed).

All in all, this was an excellent day and we were glad we did this. Not too expensive either. We can now say that we have truly been to the Cayman Islands.

One final note on our stop. After the snorkel trip we of course had to shop. And, . . . there is rum cake everywhere. Now, . . . I don’t want to start a battle, . . . but there is a local rum cake factory (Blackbeard’s Rum Cakes) on the Cayman Islands that produces what I consider to be a better product then the better known Tortuga Rum Cakes which are available all over the Caribbean. We tried lots of samples. A 2 lbs rum cake at Blackbeard’s is $10 US versus $20 US at the other guys stores. That said, . . . it is my personal opinion on this matter. My wife liked the Tortuga Rum Cake samples better. We brought home a couple of Blackbeard’s, which had more rum than the samples on shore and she too now thinks it might in fact be a better product. I guess we will have to go back and try some more!!! :)

brentp, where is Blackbeard's located? Any chance you were there on a Sunday? Sunday is our day to be in Cayman--hope it's open. Thanks.

We were there last Wednesday. There were two locations, one each in the major shopping areas on the left and right of the tender piers. The one to the left is in the center of all the Grand Switzerland stores and is set up as a kiosk. The other one on the right side is set up in a shopping center and has a store front. Sorry, wish I could be more specific, . . . but they will be fairly easy to find and are very close to the tenders.

A couple questions about the Buccaneer please:

Is there a bathroom on board?

Do they have fins available that would fit the kids?

How much were the drinks on board?

Thanks for any info!

Yes, on the bathroom. Very nice and clean. I used it as a changing room after the swim to get into street cloths.

Fins, masks, snorkels, and vests of all sizes. Vests are optional. I will say the masks and snorkels are of high quality. I had very little leakage with this equipment like I have in the past with others. Of the 23 people on board, 17 were from 4 families that were travelling together. There were youngsters of all ages that got fitted with equipment.

Water was free. Can't help you out on the other drink prices, I didn't buy anything from the bar but others did. It really wasn't a party atmosphere, but a number of purchases were made.

Brentp: Thanks for the review of Sting Ray City. DH & I were there w/Cpt. Bryon's & have to agree that was a awesome trip. Did you purchase the video? I didn't want to spend the $$ but DH did & it was well worth it. We only saw one eel, the green one. It was all on the CD. The CD was professionally done.

Did you purchase the video? I didn't want to spend the $$ but DH did & it was well worth it.

Yes, . . . we ordered the DVD, haven't got it yet but should be on its way soon. Actually at the start of the tour, I figured I wouldn't after I heard the price. After we got done at the 3 stops and I realized how much we had seen, . . . and likely how much we would forget, I figured why not. Jody, the video guy, really worked hard when we were there. I saw him swimming about all over the place to capture things, . . . more than just us in our snorkel gear looking at stingrays. :)

One thing captured was a spotted eagle ray (I think that is what he called it). It was in full tilt swimming away from him and was really beautiful. He was a really nice guy and did not push the video. Simply showed us some of the pictures he took and it basically sold it self. Glad to hear they did a professional job.

Was it V - I - P productions that did yours?

• 5 weeks later...

I just booked through them for the Stingray City and Island tour. Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions!!!! Also Sherry just informed me that they will be expanding to Jamica in the summer of 2005.

Archived