What to do near port?

navybaby1113

I get the feeling we should be ashamed to say we are a tourist. When I go on a cruise or on a land vacation, and I'm visiting I don't care if I'm told to "dress as a local, avoid the tourist attractions" I take it with a grain of salt. When you walk off onto the pier from a cruise ship, you are a tourist. I have a former boss that is constantly telling everyone how much she loves NY City. She and her husband visit OFTEN. She has never gone to the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground Zero...because "that's where the tourists go..." For me, I just think that's downright sad. I think they have missed out on so much. In Rome they rented a house, went to the local markets and stayed away from the Colloseum, etc., because "that's for tourists..." I just don't see "Tourist" as a badge of shame. Going to some of those "out of the way places" on some of the islands is just plain dangerous...you can call yourself anything you want to but your still a tourist, for God's sake. Sorry to break it to you, but if you got killed wandering around, drinking in the culture in some out of the way spot, the headline would read, "Tourist killed in XXX..."

Grand Cayman, IN MY OPINION, is different from most of the other ports in the Western Caribbean. It is not economically depressed. We have enjoyed swimming with the stingrays a few times, I think that is a don't miss if you've never experienced it. The shopping is not like Nassau or Cozumel, but there are some things that we have purchased in GC that we have not seen anywhere else. I collect Daum glass and they have a great selection at one of the jewelry stores in downtown. There is a great selection of jewelry, as well.

There is plenty to do, but you have to venture out a little. I haven't experienced anything I would consider great culture, but I honestly haven't looked very hard. I love the beach, the sun and a little shopping and GC has all of that. Looking forward to relaxing there in 6 longs weeks.

Archived