Countdown Calendar for my Mom

Sugar67

My Mom's birthday is today and we are sailing 27 days from today. I had wanted to buy them an over the door shoe holder as part of their Christmas/cruise present but couldn't find one for December 25th. I happened to find one after Christmas and here's what I did with it.

I made a huge count down calendar and filled it with all cruise and Mom related stuff. Most of the stuff she can take on the cruise with her but a few things she will probably leave at home. I used cardstock to fill the front of each pocket stating the actual date and how many days are left til we go. I wrapped all the gifts so she won't be able to peek.

The door holder only had 24 slots so she has 3 days/items to open before she actually gets to it. Her first 3 opening days are her camera, case and a photo album. After that there is an assortment of make-up, sunscreen, tissues, non-flame candles, lanyards, etc. I hope she will be as excited as I am when she sees it later today.

I have been "The Countdown Kid" my whole life.....my birthday, Christmas, days til I get my license (you get the idea) so the added bonus of this is, it should drive my father NUTS lol.

P1030657.jpg.7cd43845b63cb770c1640a3f904a759e.jpg

Well the birthday lunch was a lovely surprise for her. She had actually called me last night saying that no one at work had remembered her birthday...that my Dad wondered why we were going out for lunch today (no one had mentioned her bday because they were all afraid of letting the cat out of the bag, dad hadn't mentioned it just because he wanted to torment her). She soon figured it out when she walked in and there were a dozen of us sitting there.

She was (jokingly) disappointed that she would have to wait 27 days to open it all but was anxiously looking forward to her countdown.

One word of advice though; we bought her a camera which she took out and started using right away. The onboard memory filled up rather quickly. Either bundle the memory card with the camera or put it in the next day pocket. I think she has to wait until February 1st to get it :o.

Archived