Packing for kids

block

Will be traveling with My DD (4) and DH for a 7 day cruise. I would like to start a packing list of things not to forget that will make the cruise more enjoyable. I always travel with a well stocked toiletry bag meds, band aids ,etc.

What else can I put on the list to add "FUN" ?

Like:

~Decorations for the door

~bubbles for Beach

~Travel pack of play-doh

Any other idea's ?

Some beach toys and cheap water squirters. We took shovels, buckets, and bath squirters. Plus we took dollar store floats and inner tubes.

My DD likes to color and draw. So we took small coloring books, scrap paper, stickers, and crayons. It helped get us through dinner and she loved the waiters coloring with her.

We also took a portable DVD player with some new DVDS. It helped with our down/rest time. Not many kid show on tv. Didn't really think we would need it but it did come in handy.

Jill where in N. GA are you from? I live in Dahlonega.

1. I always take disposable cups. They make great impromptu sand castles and you can throw them away when you are done. Plus you can always have your DD use them in the bathrooms and room as actual drinking cups. The only cups in the room are made of glass!

2. Water wings (or floaties) are always nice for the pools. The pools are always "deep" to little kids and that gives them a little extra freedom so they aren't clinging to you for dear life.

3. Little snorkel kit! A child size mask w/ snorkel for making the beach a bit more of an adventure.

4. Sundresses. Seriously we could live in sundresses on vacation. I took 4 sundresses from H&M ($5 each!) one year on a cruise and it was a lifesaver! 2 were designated swimsuit cover-ups. When she was done swimming we held up the towl and she could slip her dress on, swimsuit off and put on her undergarments and be dry for the rest of the excursion. Of course there were evenings when the swimsuit cover-ups were worn to dinner.

5. Some favorite snacks from home! They are lifesavers on excursions!

Not necessarily fun, but great to bring along:

sweatshirt or sweater because dining room and camp can be chilly

watershoes or sandals to wear on pool deck/waterslide steps - H.O.T.

bug spray (I got eaten alive in San Juan!)

nightlight

Fun:

water rings

beach toys

Ziploc bags in several sizes!! This always helps me tremendously and my 6 yo loves to have it for any little collections he decides to start while on vacation. It also comes in handy to grab a few cookies from the buffet to take back to the room for the kids, storing wet items when off the ship, storing sunblock and other items that might leak from it's bottle under sun exposure, etc.

Disposable cameras for the little ones to have pics from their perspective.

Puzzles from the 99 store to complete in the cabin with the kids when we're having downtime. And absolutely any other fun items I find in the 99 store so that it won't "hurt" if the kids lose it or forget it while on the trip.

Glow in the dark sticks, bracelets, etc. My son loves them for deck parties and you can also usually pick those up from the 99 store!

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I haven't sailed with the grandkids before; so all these ideas help.

Is the door metal? Will magnets stick or do you use tape?

Thanks,

Nancy

The doors are metal and you can use magnets on them, which I find to be better anyways, so that the tape doesn't leave residue that the steward ends up having to clean up. One poster posted under the thread "Door Decoration Ideas" pictures of magnets she made for her door, you should check it out. I'm planning some door decorating ideas with my daughter who is 7, as she is going on her first cruise in July 2011 (this will be our 3rd), and I think this will be fun for her!

I did go to Party City to get some decorations, but they informed me that I was too early for cruising. She said that first they have Super Bowl, then Marde Gras, then St. Patrick's Day, Easter, etc. She suggested I try on line. I will also check the Dollar Store as their prices are hard to beat.

Nancy

Archived