Moderno Churrascaria, anyone?

scubagirl08

We are considering eating at the Moderno Churrascaria on the Epic, but my husband has conerns. He says he has been to some of these Brazilian-type Steakhouses that have been really good, and some that have been underwhelming. Has anyone eaten at this restaurant on the Epic and been impressed? Not impressed?

Thanks!

There are lots of posts on Moderno. Try a search.

We found it to be outstanding. The Garlic Steak was our favorite. Start slow with the "lesser meats", and don't fill up on salad and bread. The Salad bar is worth the $18 alone. Meat coma in 10, 9, 8, 7

my brother...k8sar...napping before desert

1277-vi.jpg

Is there an option of selecting just one or two meat items, or do you have to go through the tasting process? I know my DW will go for the filet, and that's it.

You can decline anything. Liked the salad bar but honestly, we were very underwhelmed by Moderno. Our meat was overdone. People rave about it so we knew we wanted to try but I wouldn't go back.

Rumor has it that they may be turning Pacific Heights on the SUN into this restaurant during the dryock right now. Wonder if that is true?

hope so im cruising the sun in march after dry dock! and just at my 1st brazilian steakhouse last week! perfect time for a 2nd! I read on another thread that a waiter on the epic let someone know he was transfering to the sun after drydock to help train the new staff For this resturant hope theres some truth behind it.. guess we will know in 3 weeks after the drydock is complete!

Last week we went to Fogo De Chao and I kept comparing it to Moderno.

I thought the winner in the different categories were:

Meats: Fogo

Salad Bar: Moderno (hands down)

Side Dishes: Fogo

Service: Toss Up

The meats at Moderno are good but not as good as Fogo. The salad bar alone is worth the $18. I would love to have some of the ceviche or seafood chowder right now.

My wife is Brasilian and the only complaint she had about Moderno was that the beans and rice weren't too authentic.

No matter what, Moderno is WELL worth the $18.

Take care,

Mike

You can decline anything. Liked the salad bar but honestly, we were very underwhelmed by Moderno. Our meat was overdone. People rave about it so we knew we wanted to try but I wouldn't go back.

Strange. We were able to get rare to well done on the same skewers. Not sure why you had a problem getting meat cooked the way you wanted.

Is there an option of selecting just one or two meat items, or do you have to go through the tasting process? I know my DW will go for the filet, and that's it.

eat what you want. I only had small tastes of the chicken dishes, ribs and sausages, usually off my daughter's plate. When you find something you like, get more. :)

We did not have this problem. When they came around with the filet, we requested rare and the server indicated what he had was not really rare. A few minutes later we were brought out nice pieces on a plate right from the galley and they were perfect.

Highly recommend Moderno. Only thing we found amiss was french fries that tended to get cold very quickly. Originally they offered garlic mashed potatoes but they had lots of feedback from guests from countries with these kinds of steakhouses and they apparently said fries were more authentic.

Meats delicious. When you want to take a break just flip the coaster over to red. When you're ready to renew, just put it back to green. You really need to pace yourself.

Agree salad bar is outstanding...actually a misnomer as there's the delicious seafood chowder, shrimp, prosciutto, great cheeses, etc. Probably about 40 items.

Great move if NCL can roll out this concept fleetwide.

• 1 month later...

We ate at Moderno last week on Epic, with a Brazilian friend, and we all thought it was very good. There are definitely some cuts of meat that are better than others, but they'll bring you as much as you want, so just take a little taste of everything and then ask for more of what you like, cooked as you like. And as everyone says, the salad bar is fantastic.

FWIW, we also ate at Cagney's, and the NY strips were among the best we've ever had, but the service and other dishes were sorely lacking-- although we felt that the quality of the meat outweighed that!! I say try both if you can!! :D

we ate there last week on the Epic, abnd were underwhlemed, but maybe my expectations were too high based on all the rave reviews. The sald bar was very nice. The meats were good to very good, but I would not say great. The side dishes were meh, except the fried bananas which were delicious. It was not a bad meal by any means, but we would not pay to go again. I would try another place next time. ( the only other pay ones we ate at were noodle bar, sushi bar, and the dinner shows).

we ate at Moderno 2x during the recent cruise--excellent food and service--

The steak that is marinated was the most tender and flavorful--better than the filet mignon--Lamb Chops were ok but not great--a little fatty-actually the lambchops purchased at Costco were better. But overall a nice place to eat

We ate there three times in 2 weeks in Jan. The restaurant is doing so well that their rolling it out to other ships where they can find room. They just added to the Sun when it was indry dock not that long ago.

The salad bar is one of the best y'll come across, it's not big but it's the high end items that they have on it such as hearts of palm, cerviche, shrimp, stuffed grape leaves, cheeses etc.

Speaking to Hotel Director on the Epic they are looking at a way to offer the salad bar on it's own. it's getting that many complements.

It's worth every penny!

We are considering eating at the Moderno Churrascaria on the Epic, but my husband has conerns. He says he has been to some of these Brazilian-type Steakhouses that have been really good, and some that have been underwhelming. Has anyone eaten at this restaurant on the Epic and been impressed? Not impressed?

Thanks!

It was one of my favs. That and the french place! GO! Its wonderful. I asked them how they do it since most do it on an open flame and they use convection. You would never know.

I love the whole concept of how the meats/chicken are brought to the tables. My favorites both times we ate at Moderno are the Filet Mignon and the bacon wrapped chicken. Garlic mashed potatoes are on the menu but both times we ate there, french fries were served. Second time we asked about the garlic mashed potatoes and within a minute or two we had garlic mashed potatoes for the table. (I have a feeling they got them from Cagney's which shares the other half of the dining space).

As others have said, the salad bar is amazing. I really enjoy the stuffed grape leaves. The cheese bread is wonderful and the fried bananas which are coated are so delicious. If you have left any room for desert, the traditional Brazilian puffs with vanilla caramel dipping sauce is soooo good. The coconut flan is another excellent desert.

The best advice is to pace yourself during the meal. This is one of my favorite restaurants on Epic.

Archived