AT&T while on the Legend in the Caribbean

ajj0624

I need to use my internet and phone...Yes while on vacation!!!! I am wondering if I can use my phone and the cost.At&T tried to sell me an international package. Is there a better solution? Will a virgin mobilr hot spot work? any port of call on this cruise that is internet friendly? I am in grad school and I must submit some papers.Experience with this or advice anyone???

if you have ATT international roaming ($5-$6 mnth) it should work. But, you're going to get hit with charges from the ship service as well, Cellular at Sea if I recall. I don't know what those rates are but they're not cheap. While in port, you likely will get a phone signal and result in paying rates whatever ATT applies. You can't check that in advance so you'll know. As for the internet service, we always use what's available on ship. Each port will likely have internet cafe with much better rates, check with ship's staff, they'll know where it is. Good Luck.

If you will go to the top of the page and hit search, then type in AT&T at sea you will get info from cruisers who have been there and done that. As to internet cafes, every Carib. port I have been to has them available, most have one in the port area. Many sell time in less than 1 hr segments, but as I recall the fee was no more than $6 per hr. Ask a crew member they know where they are and the best deals. Bill

Your best information is on ATT's international roaming page:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

There is a chart there where you can find Carnival Ships which indicates the rate, at sea, is $2.49/minuite for phone calls.

You can also look up each port that you'll be stopping at and see the rates in port. Some of the ports might offer a small discount off of the normal rate if you have their international roaming package (which is what was referred to by cruisinglawn above). But that package is not necessary for international roaming and will not provide a discount for use on the ship.

However you must confimr before you leave that international roaming is enabled for your phone or it might not work out of the country at all. You can do this on the ATT site or by calling ATT. There is no charge for this to be turned on so do not confuse it with the packages that have a monthly fee but just provide a discount off of the rates on land.

Instead of using your phone, you'll much better off buying an internet package and using a computer. The charges to use an ATT phone for internet is insanely expensive, as you have to access the ship's satellite for connection. That will run you $2.49 a minute plus any roaming fees.

Instead of using your phone, you'll much better off buying an internet package and using a computer. The charges to use an ATT phone for internet is insanely expensive, as you have to access the ship's satellite for connection. That will run you $2.49 a minute plus any roaming fees.

3G (cellular) wireless internet through ATT on the cruise ship falls under the same rates as international usage on land if one didn't have an international DATA plan (the international data plans don't include ship usage on ATT). It is not $2.49/minuite like the voice service, instead it is $.0195 per KB of data. That could end up being significantly more expensive than the $2.40/minite rate, or less expensive, depending on the amount of data being transmitted. As a comparison: an international data plan for 100MB of internet and data use would run $120 but at the unmetered 1.95 cents/KB this would add up to $1,950!! (yes - that is almost two thousand dollars!!)

However if one has an iPhone or other smart phone that also supports wifi they can use the ship's wifi system at same rates charged for using the computers on the ship.

It is very important that if you have an iPhone or similar device that you understand the difference between using 3g Cellular service to connect to the internet and using wi-fi to connect. It is also important that you set your phone so it can not inadvertently connect to the internet via 3G/cellular when you are at sea.

Now you can stay in touch with family and friends even while you are on your cruise at sea*. With AT&T, customers can save money by signing up for the Cruise Ship Passport package prior to setting sail.

For just $35 a month, the package provides the following services while on the cruise ship's cellular network:

• 15 minutes of voice

• 15 messages sent (text, picture and video)**

• Overage rates are $2.49/minute, $.50/text message sent, and $1.30/picture or video message sent.

*Service available on more than 140 cruise ships while on the "CellularatSEA" network. For a list of cruise ships visit: att.com/travelguide.

**Messages received while on the cruise ship will continue to be charged at your normal domestic rate.

To sign up for this package, please login to your AT&T wireless account at att.com/mywireless or call 1-916-843-4685.

I am traveling Princess on spring break but this company does not have contract with Princess yet (darn). Anyways they do have contract with carnival. It averages $12 per day unlimited web on the ship. You will have to check out the website and read all of the faq's to get a complete understanding - difficult go explain in a thread.

http://www.iphonetrip.com/faq.html

Archived