Is there something that you collect from every port?

jollyjim

personally, I collect flags, they're small and haven't found anywhere (except Antarctica) that doesn't have them. I also collect small rocks, they're cheap and easy to carry. Now DW seems to be collecting rocks of a different kind, just as small, but definitely not as cheap.. :D

We do christmas ornaments. Not just at port, but any vacation. Nice reminder of where we've been. My mom collects bells, so if I go someplace she hasn't been, I pick one up for her.

We do this as well - all vacations. I not only buy for our family tree, but we also get them for DS (he's 10). He has his own little 3' Christmas tree, but this way, he'll already have a collection of ornaments when he moves out.

I also collect postcards and take tons of photos. I love getting a family portrait on our cruises. I used to buy t-shirts but I don't wear them anymore so I stopped that. Now I look for sterling silver jewelry - not from each port, but each trip. I bought 4 great pieces on our summer vacation when passing through Sedona, AZ.

I love collecting frig magnets and postcards from each place to put in the album with my pictures that I take. I have a habit of collecting the little bars of soaps from my trips also. When I stay in a resort hotel or now on the ship I take home the little soap and put it in a big glass jar in my spare bathroom. Fun to look at! I know some people do this with matches.

I'm a magnet collector. I had a problem though when we renovated our kitchen. We bought stainless steel appliances and the magnets were tacky looking. So now they are in a box. :( I might have to switch to postcards...

But I'll still buy magnests as gifts for other people (who don't have stainless steel refrigeraters lol)

Just buy some stainless steel metal and screw it onto your wall in your office, or tv room, or wherever is your personal space, and you can display your magnets! I used an old road sign, until I made myself a Keg-arator out of an old fridge. Now they go there!

I am really fond of squashed pennies. Not sure if I will be able to collect them while on the islands, but its worth a shot!

I try to find handmade coffee mugs; not one from each port but one per trip. It is nice waking up to a cup of coffee which recalls a vacation, rather than the local radio station or hospital.

DH collects ashtrays, the louder and gaudier, the better. lol

Just buy some stainless steel metal and screw it onto your wall in your office, or tv room, or wherever is your personal space, and you can display your magnets! I used an old road sign, until I made myself a Keg-arator out of an old fridge. Now they go there!

I am really fond of squashed pennies. Not sure if I will be able to collect them while on the islands, but its worth a shot!

Thank you so much for your suggestion. DH said he'll make something for me so I can keep my passion for magnets alive.:D

jemrtt.....I was upset when I got a stainless steel refrig down at my shore house where I keep my magnets because they would not hold.....Lucky for me our old refrig was put in the garage so I was able to put them on that and that is where the beer is kept anyway so people love seeing them. They don't necessarity have to be put on a refrig anyway. Get a big pretty bowl that matches your living area and throw them in that....people love going through them and they are great conversation starters.

I also collect the sand. I take empty plastic soda or water bottles and fill them up with sand from each place we visit. I either put them in individual jars or vases or last time I bought a large glass vase and layered the sand and it turned out beautiful! In between each layer I put a colored sand from Michael's Craft store and topped off the stop with some amazing shells we found at one beach. Anytime we have company over they love asking about the sand and where we have been.

I've been collecting bookmarks since I was a kid - the ones with cartoons and tassels. Now I collect more interesting, handmade bookmarks - made from stamps, copper, textiles, etc. They aren't easy to find in tourist shops, though. The ones I do see are often very generic (stamped leather) and not worth buying.

My main collection is refrigerator magnets. I love them - the more interesting, the better. They're available everywhere, and they're easy to carry home. Just keep them out of reach of children. Several years ago, my favorites were broken by a curious niece. :(

I also collect Christmas ornaments and small decorative boxes. They're a little harder to find. There's just not that much shore time for shopping. I still buy postcards and the occasional T-shirt - one or two per cruise, not every port because I just don't wear them enough.

I like to find ohoto albums for all the pix I take.

I also collect sand. From Paradise Island, I have a small 'fish bowl' candle holder from Wal Mart. I layered the sand & tiny sea shells in it.

How about decks of cards? We also do coffee mugs (they're also good to bring home to people)

I always get a couple pieces of money, usually a $1 bill and some change.

JemRtt

I have a friend who collected cow magnets for years and removed them for the same reason as you. She fit a thin piece of metal inside a large shadow box, arranged her favorite magnets on it and displayed on her kitchen wall---until she moved again and it now hangs in her craft room. She is still able to enjoy the many cows (mini cows? ;) ) her friends and family gave her. Just a thought.

Archived