Looking for recent, honest opinions on Destiny

ratherbcrzn75

My husband and I went on a group cruise about 5years ago with around 30 people from our area. It was our first cruise and we went on the Imagination. The person who organized that cruise just recently contacted us and decided to do another one , this time we're going on the Destiny. We booked it yesterday and I started reading the reviews for Destiny on Carnival's website and it started to freak me out just a little bit. I'm not sure if the people giving it such horrible reviews are just the type of people you can't please no matter what you do. I used to work in customer service--so I understand those types all too well--:mad: Some people were giving the ship bad reviews because they had to purchase soda and bottled water--so I'm marking those as the type of people that obviously didn't read any of the cruise documents beforehand. Others were complaining about having to be re-routed due to weather. As if Carnival has any control over Mother Nature. Our last cruise and were supposed to go to Grand Cayman and ended up re-routed to Nassau because of a tropical storm. Sure it wasn't the destination I signed up for, but figured either way --a day on vacation is better than a day at work:D

So can anyone who has been on this ship lately tell me if it's falling apart and horrible like everyone is making it out to be?

I haven't sailed the Destiny but have sailed a few other ships with Carnival. The Destiny is larger than the Imagination and has more space, amenities, etc., including more balcony cabins which are wonderful. On the Imagination, you would have to upgrade to a suite for a balcony but not the case on the Destiny. We are thinking about the Destiny in March for a 4-day to Key West and Cozumel. While I have read some not so great reviews of the Destiny, there are the same not so great reviews by some on the newest ships. Take it with a grain of salt and have fun planning and enjoying your wonderful vacation. We always love to spend time in Miami before and after a cruise especially on the shorter cruises. If you are able to do that, in my opinion, it makes vacation even better.

I enjoyed Destiny when I was on her in September. Yes, the ship is a little dated. Yes, you get the occasional smell in the forward section of the lower decks(I noticed it by the entrance to the theater) Would I hesitate to sail on Destiny again? No, I actually plan to sail on her after a cpl cruises I want to do are done

Our first cruise was on the destiny and I thought it was a really nice ship, but again it was my first cruise. We had a aceanview room on the Riveria and we were right across from the elavators and never had a problem, the room was nice, the staff was nice, the food was great.

Then we planned our 2nd cruise and we were on her again. Still got a oceanview room had no problems, staff again was super nice, but we were on it when all the problems with the motor started so our port to jamaica were cancelled and we headed to the bahamas areas, Still had a great time.

Our last cruise was on the inspiration and compared to the Destiny I like her much better.

Enjoy your cruise.

We will be back on her after our next cruise on the Valor.

:)

Thanks for the replies. It was so hard to get a good feel for the reviews because a lot of them seemed really unreasonable. Like people complaining about the wait time in the Lido buffet line right after embarkation---anytime you have most of the people on the ship trying to eat at the same time that's going to happen.

We were on Destiny in April on a girls weekend and are going again this April for another girl's trip this time the 5 night. Now I got sick at Key West which was the first full day and was sick until the last day but I still enjoyed it and am going again! The ship while dated was lovely to me and the crew was great. We had anytime dining and received great service from the lovely young hostesses at the front desk and requested the same wait team each night and got great service from them. Our cabin was always cleaned and the food was good in my opinion. Not 5 star but I dont expect 5 star at such mass quantities but it was good. Again I am not hestitating to sail Destiny again, fingers crossed no issues this time health wise and I will certainly make up for the 2 missed days!! I take each of these reviews with a grain of salt myself as most of the time the ones with something negative to say are quicker to do so than the ones with positive things to say. Go enjoy yourselves and decide for yourself. I am not one of those who would allow little things to ruin my vacation anyway, hell even being sick for 1/2 of it didnt really ruin it and it wasnt Carnival's fault anyway. A vacation is a vacation and a cruise is well the best vacation in my opinion and if a few minor things here and there are not what I would choose or prefer oh well you can't please everyone and a year from now will I even remember how long the line was at the buffet? Its doubtful. There are 2500 or so people on there and there will be lines and anyone who thinks that is worthy of ruining their vacation well I will keep that opinion to myself.:rolleyes

p.s

the mechanical issues were fixed when we went

did Destiny end of Nov, first week of December:

-shows were nothing great, Comedy Club was fine

-no bad smells, just odd place as poster says before me

-ship is very clean, constant attention

-no real wear that I could tell anywhere

-tables in lido were left messy often but with few attendants to tons of people, hard to keep clean I guess

-Deli is yummy

-MDR service is fine depending upon your waiter

-had a few small issues regarding billing which were solved nicely by Customer Relations

-cabin stewards were tremendous

-few concerns with Camp Carnival

This was our first cruise and got what was expected. Would sail again but we do not travel much so I would like to try a longer cruise which means different ship. For another 5 day cruise I would said Destiny again

Great! I knew it was an older ship so the dated decor doesn't bother me (after I have a cocktail or 2 or 3 who can tell anyway , lol!)--it was more so the mechanical issues and disrepair that people seemed to be complaining about.

As for the food, I loved going to the MDR because our entire group was seated in the same area and it was so much fun to be with everyone. The food was beautifully prepared and plated on the Imagination, but I'm not much of a gourmet person , so I tended to grab something else later on.

So you are at the same place I was over a year ago. I booked destiny for my wedding cruise(Aug 2010). I had 47 people traveling with me. Although I cruised before Valor (2007), I was very worried about Destiny after reading these terrible reviews.

In my honest opinion Destiny was great! No one had one complaint about the entire cruise. I loved her and would cruise her again. I can not understand why some people spoke so poorly of her. I actually was surpised at how I could not find one thing wrong with the cruise besides it was way too short! You will love her, ENJOY:D

I am so glad that you asked this question! I am cruising the Destiny in Feb. with some first time cruisers, and want to show them a good time:). I know to take most of the bad reviews with a grain of salt, but after reading so many of them, I have been starting to wonder.

Molly

I went on the Destiny, and it was great. I was a pain in the A$$ to the steward, first I couldn't find where the life jackets were (just in case), he showed me they were under the lamp table.

Then, I wanted an extra blanket for my sis in law, he came in and pulled open a drawer under the sofa. Of course, I apologized both times, I never was rude. We both laughed about both situations, and I did tip him well.

The MDR was great, passengers got up and danced with the waiters, wish I could, but I was video taping them. I never heard so much laughing in my life.

You will enjoy it.

Melanie

So you are at the same place I was over a year ago. I booked destiny for my wedding cruise(Aug 2010). I had 47 people traveling with me. Although I cruised before Valor (2007), I was very worried about Destiny after reading these terrible reviews.

In my honest opinion Destiny was great! No one had one complaint about the entire cruise. I loved her and would cruise her again. I can not understand why some people spoke so poorly of her. I actually was surpised at how I could not find one thing wrong with the cruise besides it was way too short! You will love her, ENJOY:D

I, too, was concerned after all the bad reviews I have read, and all the propulsion problems I heard about. I leave in 13 days to sail on Destiny and I have found luck not in the actual review section of the website, but by looking through roll calls of recently returned cruises (as passengers vent or remenisce there) or on the main page of the CCL thread. People post their personal reviews, often with pics.

Im looking forward to meeting her!:)

Sailed the Destiny labour day weekend... Absolutely loved it... Put my nephew on the Dec 13th sailing for his honeymoon, they loved it, and I have a group sailing her in Oct 2011, she is fine shape, the odd wear and tear, food was fabulous, service spectacular, nothing to complain about...

Go ahead and enjoy it,.

Archived