Standard Balcony Cabin With 2 adults / 2 kids? Need Feedback please

Has anyone stayed in Superior Balcony Cabins (D1, D2, D3 etcc) with kids, and how did it work for you?

We're thinking of booking Allure this year and were hoping to do just a standard ocean balcony room with our 2 kids (ages 6 & 4). I've read that many people feel the Oasis/Allure balcony cabins feel smaller than those of the other class of ships so I'm looking into other options.

We've stayed in a Voyager class D1 cabin and it was tight but it worked out fine. When we were on Oasis last year, we were upgraded to a JS which was WONDERFUL, but they are hard to come by on Allure for the timeframe we are looking at and are much more expenseive. I'm also looking into connecting rooms but I'd like to save the money and use it on other things.

I'll start off by saying that I have not done this, but I am thinking of doing it!

Personally, I believe if you pack light, then it will be possible. You can always use your suitcase as a "drawer" by storing it with clothes under the bed (this would be great for the kids). You can bring one of the over-the-door hangers with all the pockets to keep things organized and tidy too (I use an LL Bean toiletry bag sized for families - this works great too!). If you hate the thought of having to squeeze around each other all week, then you may want to reconsider. Personally, we were rarely in our cabins and I think it would be doable for our family. We shall see. Let us know what YOU decide. :)

Just got off the ship yesterday. Our stateroom was a Boardwalk Balcony room with a sofabed. We were 3 adults. It was manageable. The tricky part is when the sofa was turned into a full queen sized bed. There wasn't a lot of room to maneuver, however once you left your stateroom for breakfast in the morning, the sofabed was put away. and there was plenty of room again. The sofabed is absolutely ridiculously huge. You could sit 4 adults on that thing.

In short to answer your question, I think you'll be fine with 2 Adults and 2 kids. Everyone eventually adjusts, after all you're on a ship. Most of the time, you and your kids will be out having fun all around the ship. Your kids will probably also be in the Adventure Ocean program and you won't even notice them.

Ive been on oasis and going on allure in february. i always get the balcony stateroom, there are two twin beds, and one couch. It really depends if the couch is pullout. some are but some arent. I didnt have one and it was my mom my brother and myself, we switched on and off with sleeping on the couch. its a very small couch. i dont think it will fit four people.

Ok it wasnt RCL but our first cruise was on disney and we had a balcony cabin and staying in it with our 2 kids (they were 12 & 13). It was quite cramped in my opinion, so the year after when we went on Liberty of the Seas we stayed in adjoining balcony cabins and wow, all i have to say is that if you CAN afford it, DO IT. The kids liked having their own space, even though the door was open all the time (except for at night), the balcony doors opened up to each other so all 4 of us could sit on the balcony together without having being crowded at all and the best part; THE SECOND BATH/SHOWER was totally worth the extra money!!

We are on the Allure this June and have again got 2 balcony cabins even though they wont be adjoining, we are still hoping to have the balcony doors open.

Hope that helps

We had a D3 (sleeps 5) on the Allure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62Cw2US1BE

We believe, that the room will be okay to sleep 4 and have booked a similar room (the diamond shape on the deck plans) on June 2011 cruise for 2 adults and 2 children (ages 8&11).

It's doable. The table in front of the sofa should be permanently put aside to allow for more room circulation.

There are some really good suggestions posted! It's the bathroom issue that's the problem; the more bathrooms available the better!

Watch out for cabin attendents' work areas across from your cabin. It can get noisy.

Thanks for the video!

With 5, man that room would get REAL small QUICK! :eek:

Does anybody know which rooms have the beds next to the balcony? Is it random or ?? I too would want a bed next to the balcony door....

Someone just posted in another thread that the room on the LEFT has a bed by the door and room on the RIGHT has a bed by the balcony.

Someone just posted in another thread that the room on the LEFT has a bed by the door and room on the RIGHT has a bed by the balcony.

When you say the room on the left and the room on the right, do you refer to the pair of rooms as shown in the video? Would connecting staterooms be paired up like that? So that the stateroom immediately to the left of a pair of connecting staterooms would be a "room on the right" and therefore have the bed by the balcony?

I ask because that is where our stateroom is, and I'm hoping for the bed by the balcony configuration.

Just got off the ship yesterday. Our stateroom was a Boardwalk Balcony room with a sofabed. We were 3 adults. It was manageable. The tricky part is when the sofa was turned into a full queen sized bed. There wasn't a lot of room to maneuver, however once you left your stateroom for breakfast in the morning, the sofabed was put away. and there was plenty of room again. The sofabed is absolutely ridiculously huge. You could sit 4 adults on that thing.

In short to answer your question, I think you'll be fine with 2 Adults and 2 kids. Everyone eventually adjusts, after all you're on a ship. Most of the time, you and your kids will be out having fun all around the ship. Your kids will probably also be in the Adventure Ocean program and you won't even notice them.

Was the sofa bed comfortable, or the typical bar in the back type ?

When you say the room on the left and the room on the right, do you refer to the pair of rooms as shown in the video? Would connecting staterooms be paired up like that? So that the stateroom immediately to the left of a pair of connecting staterooms would be a "room on the right" and therefore have the bed by the balcony?

I ask because that is where our stateroom is, and I'm hoping for the bed by the balcony configuration.

Yes, I am referring to the 'pair' of rooms in video.

What I can attest to: we we're in the room on the left (320) in the video. That room had a bed by the bathroom. The room next to our room (318) had a bed by the balcony. These are what you referred to as 'paired' rooms.

Perhaps, you can pull up the deck plans and count by pairs till you locate your room.

If you are to the 'left' of a pair of rooms, would think that you have a room with bed by balcony.

We've booked for June, this time on the starboard side, with the intent of having bed by balcony.

Archived