Rental Cars at Port of Miami

CarlsbadSally

Hi- We are disembarking from the Journey on Feb. 15 in Miami and need to rent a car. Anyone have experience with renting cars in Miami? Is it cheaper to take a taxi to a hotel? it looks like add on charges from port are very high. Are there hotels near with car rentals, and is it worth the taxi ride?

Thanks,

CarlsbadSally

I'm not sure your question can be answered accurately without additional information. Are you eligible for any rental discounts as a result of your flight, your business, or other affiliations? Would you prefer the flexibility of a rental (to drive to restaurants, shopping, etc.) or are you planning to go directly to the hotel? If you get the rental car, will there be a parking charge (likely) at the hotel, and will that negate the other pluses? Would you be happy with a shared ride (e.g. supershuttle) and the implied delay, or would you want unshared (taxi) transport?

I go through this decision process for each cruise, and there is NO right answer. I research the shared ride prices for two people, the taxi rates to the hotel, consider if the hotel has a free or fee airport limo, and look into my rental rates (Hertz) as I can avail myself of our corporate contract as a retiree who is provided Number One membership through corporate.

I get different answers every time, even when I factor in the intangibles of our time and convenience. Your mileage will definitely vary.

Now, if in doing your research, you need estimates for taxi, shared ride, etc. the ports board for Miami will be a wealth of info, or a great place to post a more definitive question.

And if you don't like that answer, take a taxi.

Sally, I have an Avis car reserved for that date. Their downtown location is very close to the cruise port and a very short cab ride. The other convenient location is Hertz, which runs a shuttle back and forth to the port from their downtown location. HOWEVER, the cost for the Hertz car was almost double. Our full size rental at Avis is $42.74 plus taxes/fees/other ripoff things of $6.59, for a total of $49.33. Interestingly, it wasn't much more expensive than a compact. Supply and demand, I guess. We'll be dropping the car off the next morning on the "other" coast, where we live.

Avis is at 99 S.E. 2nd St.

I don't remember whether this was a AAA or AARP or some other rate.

We look forward to meeting you in San Diego.

Archived