Snorkeling in St-Martin

remdog

We are travelling with our kids (10 &12). We have snorkeled a few times with them before, but we tend to stick to 'easy' snorkeling locations, such as a nice quiet bay where you can get to the snorkeling spot via a very short swim from the beach--are there any places like this on St-Mart's? thx

We are travelling with our kids (10 &12). We have snorkeled a few times with them before, but we tend to stick to 'easy' snorkeling locations, such as a nice quiet bay where you can get to the snorkeling spot via a very short swim from the beach--are there any places like this on St-Mart's? thx

I would try Petite Plage in Grand Case. Take a taxi to the Grand Case Beach Club and the public entrance to the beach is just past the entrance to the resort. They can snorkel by the rocks on the left and around the point to where the other beach on the resort is. The area by the rocks is calm but I believe that it would be over their heads in areas. Once you get around the point there is another beach called Grand Case Beach and there are signs on the property of the GCBC that this area is for guests only but you could snorkel in the water without any problem and the snorkeling is quite decent and in very shallow water. Watch out for sea urchins though! There is no other beach that I can think of that has normally calm water and consistently good snorkeling. On Petite Plage you can use the lounge chairs and umbrellas from Creole Rock Water sports and they have beverage and food service to you on the beach. They also have snorkel trips out to the nearby Creole Rock but I would only take your children if they are decent swimmers and it is a calm day. The snorkeling was great out at Creole Rock when we went last summer. They only take 5 people at a time and have 3 trips a day so you should book in advance if you are interested. It was $35.00 and lasted close to 2 hours.

I was just thinking that if you decided to rent a car and they were open at 8 then you could go to Marigot first. You would be there early enough to get a good parking spot and then you could have a coffee at Serafina'a or another cafe, stroll by Marina Royale and then browse the shops when they open. On the way over to Maho you cold stop at Baie Rouge or go to Mullet. I would still be in the car by 3 in order to get to the car rental before they close. Even if you rent a car I would not suggest including Pinel Island, but others might see it differently.

We are planning a day at Maho beach, when I'm not watching the planes, I might swim/snorkle, does all of the low flying planes pretty much keep all the fish away?[/quot

Not sure if it is the planes keeping the fish away but Maho is not known to have good snorkeling. I have never tried it but I have never seen anyone else snorkeling on any of my visits to Maho.

I was just thinking that if you decided to rent a car and they were open at 8 then you could go to Marigot first. You would be there early enough to get a good parking spot and then you could have a coffee at Serafina'a or another cafe, stroll by Marina Royale and then browse the shops when they open. On the way over to Maho you cold stop at Baie Rouge or go to Mullet. I would still be in the car by 3 in order to get to the car rental before they close. Even if you rent a car I would not suggest including Pinel Island, but others might see it differently.

So sorry wrong thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the Divi resort in Little Bay which is very close to the ship, just the next bay over. It had okay snorkelling from the beach - no coral but a surprising number of fish along the rocks to the far left side of the beach.

Also, Pinel Island is a great spot for a secluded beach day. the snorkelling is better on the back side of the island away from the restaurants and beach loungers. There's a beautiful natural beach and coral and fish very close to shore. Since it is on the ocean side, I guess it could get rough, but it was calm enough for snorkelling the both times I was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, spent 2 weeks in St. Maarten. The only average to good snorkeling spots we found from the beach were the rocks at Baie Rouge (incidentally a lot of boat tours come here to snorkel) and Pinel Island. Unfortunately, the conservationist have now roped off the snorkeling area at Pinel; and you do not get to see the best part of the reef there(it's now protected); but, you still see a variety of fish. The beach at Pinel is one of the prettiest with very shallow and calm water; however, it gets very crowded by mid-afternoon. There's chair/umbrella rentals; really clean restrooms; and 2 restaurants on the small island with beautiful views of St. Maarten. You can also hike over the hill to see the Atlantic side of the island. Great way to spend a day. Happy cruising

Honestly, spent 2 weeks in St. Maarten. The only average to good snorkeling spots we found from the beach were the rocks at Baie Rouge (incidentally a lot of boat tours come here to snorkel) and Pinel Island. Unfortunately, the conservationist have now roped off the snorkeling area at Pinel; and you do not get to see the best part of the reef there(it's now protected);<snip>

I'm not aware of organized trips to Baie Rouge for snorkeling, in fact have never seen even one. Do you have any idea who they were?

For Pinel, I believe that the best area has been assigned to the Nature Preserve and there is a fee to snorkel there. Some excursions do offer this.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not aware of organized trips to Baie Rouge for snorkeling, in fact have never seen even one. Do you have any idea who they were?

For Pinel, I believe that the best area has been assigned to the Nature Preserve and there is a fee to snorkel there. Some excursions do offer this.

gary

Hi Gary. I have been enjoying your many posts throughout all the threads. I believe I read on one of yours that Mullet Bay Beach is the best for snorkeling. I have two 9 year olds who are decent swimmers but are small. We are looking for a place to be able to chill a bit on a nice beach, float in some nice water & snorkel. Decent bathrooms are always nice & some food & drink. I guess I want it all :) Anyway do you think Mullet fits the bill? If so do you think I should book with my cruise so I can have all the equipment & transportation or would it be better to do on my own? Of course assuming I can rent equipment then. I will also add that we are coming Easter week & there will be several ships in port. Thank you in advance for any feedback as well as all your previous posts.

Thanks,

Steve

Where else is your cruise going? Most caribbean islands are better than St. Martin for snorkeling.

St. Martin is known for shopping, great airplane viewing, and naked beach combers. It is not known for snorkeling.

Thanks so much Mike I was starting to think the same thing. We are doing St.Thomas so I will now head over to those boards. I should probably save the snorkeling for St. Johns. Would Mullet be a nice option if I was just looking to hang? I'm not really into dealing with the nudity issue with my kids. Topless not so bad but nude men for my 9 year old girls I'm not really too keen about.

Thanks,

Steve

The only thing I know about a mullet is that it's a bad hair style for men. Is that a beach in St. Martin?

As far as naked goes in St. Martin, my experience is that you have to be very close to club orient to see the naturalist. More to the middle of Orient Beach (where we like to hang out) it's just a beautiful beach with the occassional topless woman. You could see a naked man in that area, but it's a bit like a shark attack. It's very unlikely to happen, but if it does it's horrible! :)

St Thomas is much nicer for snorkeling with 3 beaches that I know of that are pretty darn good. And all are pretty kid friendly. My favorite is Sapphire. Others that are good are Secret Harbor and Coki.

St. John of course is the best place you mention. It does have a travel 'penalty' going from a cruise ship thought. It takes a long time to get to St. John. Trunk Bay is beautiful though not the best snorkeling on the island. It is good snorkeling compared to most places, but not the best place on St. John.

I'll be in St Thomas in a couple of weeks and I'm going to go to Sapphire to lounge and snorkel. My heart however will be across the bay in St. John!

The Dutch side is generally more conservative so toplessness is rarer. The day we were there the ocean was a bit rough but apparently it is sometimes quite calm. There is a restroom in poor repair and chairs and umbrellas available. There is also some shade. There is a little snorkeling off to the left but not anything outstanding--I did see fish even when the surf was up, though. You do have to watch out for the rocks. You can take the bus there from Phillipsburg if you wish and Maho Bay is next door so you can combine the 2.

Archived