cabin door display

wine night

Yes, you make them. They are magnets. Most cruise lines have policies against using any type of tape, stickers, or adhesive because they pull paint off the doors. All cabin doors are metal so magnets work perfectly. Here's my door from our POA cruise in November...

5292231340_203ae2165b.jpg

If you want to see real crazy, here is my door from our last Disney cruise!!

3506454086_818e0b3b09.jpg

I design the magnets on my computer and then print it out on magnet paper, which you can find at Staples, craft/hobby stores (like Michael's or Hobby Lobby), or Walmart.com. You can also create a magnet out of wood or cardboard and put magnet tape on it to turn it into a magnet. You can buy magnet tape at a craft/hobby store too.

I love decorating my door but be aware so people like to spoil the fun and steal magnets. So I usually personalize each one with our first names to discourage stealing. However, out of 4 cruises I've decorated doors, the POA is the only time someone has stolen a magnet from me and it said "My CruiseCritic name is CruisingGoddess!" Go figure!! :mad: The good thing is that since I print them, I can always print another when I get home so stealing isn't too big of a blow if/when it happens.

By the way, I save the largest magnet from each cruise and put it on the back of our garage door. It's so fun to see them again and remember the cruise. I'm hoping to eventually fill the back of the garage door with all my future cruises!!!

Thanks for this info, by the way. I think you mentioned it before and because if it, I had a nice Christmas magnet printed of our tree at home. Our door wasn't quite as elaborate, but were always knew when we reached our room because the door didn't look like all the others.

http://www.pbase.com/dleighb/image/131543526

I went to Office Depot the day before out cruise and found the inkjet magnets. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for this info, by the way. I think you mentioned it before and because if it, I had a nice Christmas magnet printed of our tree at home. Our door wasn't quite as elaborate, but were always knew when we reached our room because the door didn't look like all the others.

http://www.pbase.com/dleighb/image/131543526

I went to Office Depot the day before out cruise and found the inkjet magnets. Worked like a charm.

Dana - It looks wonderful!! Great way to add the Christmas spirit to a cruise!! Glad it worked out!

Thank you so much for the information. I am not very good on the computer so i will try the wood cut out with the magnets. I love both of the door displays :)

If you are not good with computers, another thing I have seen is to make a scrapbook page and just put the magnet tape on the back of the scrapbook page in a plastic sleeve. :)

Thank you for the info - it was timed just right...I was just going to do a search on this topic. It will be my DH's 60th b-day when we cruise on PofA and I was going to make up a b-day sign with the gkids pics telling him Happy Birthday, what a great suprise for him when we get to the cabin and it is there. I will just need to sneak away and put it on the door before we actually " go to the cabin". I love planning this kind of secret stuff!!!:D

Cruising Goddess,

I have a photo question.

How did you embed your flickr photos into the post without posting the flickr webpage?

When I copy the URL, i only can get my whole flikr set of photos and not just the one photo on a blank page.

Thanks,

Mary

Cruising Goddess,

I have a photo question.

How did you embed your flickr photos into the post without posting the flickr webpage?

When I copy the URL, i only can get my whole flikr set of photos and not just the one photo on a blank page.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary - Here's how...

1. Go to the single photo page on Flickr. Like this one:

Haleakala National Park

2. Click on Actions (right above the photo) and select on "View all sizes".

3. Click on the photo size you want to embed.

4. Now right-click the photo with your mouse. If you use Firefox, select "Copy Image Location". If you use Internet Explorer, select "Properties" and then highlight and copy the URL.

5. Back here on CruiseCritic, click on the "Insert Image" icon when writing a post. The icon is a yellow photo of a mountain. Paste the URL in the window that comes up.

6. Preview to make sure it worked! All done!

It will be my DH's 60th b-day when we cruise on PofA and I was going to make up a b-day sign with the gkids pics telling him Happy Birthday, what a great suprise for him when we get to the cabin and it is there. I will just need to sneak away and put it on the door before we actually " go to the cabin". I love planning this kind of secret stuff!!!:D

Why not make arrangements "on the sly" with your cabin steward to look after it for you? Hide it in a particular spot in the cabin where he/she will be able to find it easily and post it on your door while you are at breakfast or dinner that day. Then you don't have to find an excuse to sneak away - the sign will just magically appear!

(I love planning this secret stuff too! :))

jinx girl thanks that is an even better idea...He already thinks we are in an inside cabin and I have booked and aft balcony so he will be really suprised. Like I said I love doing this kind of stuff and I am planning on flying us there 1st class and he thinks we will be going coach with 3 stops with one being 5 hours in LA. I have not figured out how to suprise him with that one, I will keep the boarding passes and think I will still board with a group instead of when they call for 1st class boarding. :D

Mary - Here's how...

1. Go to the single photo page on Flickr. Like this one:

Haleakala National Park

2. Click on Actions (right above the photo) and select on "View all sizes".

3. Click on the photo size you want to embed.

4. Now right-click the photo with your mouse. If you use Firefox, select "Copy Image Location". If you use Internet Explorer, select "Properties" and then highlight and copy the URL.

5. Back here on CruiseCritic, click on the "Insert Image" icon when writing a post. The icon is a yellow photo of a mountain. Paste the URL in the window that comes up.

6. Preview to make sure it worked! All done!

Thanks soooo much. I think I have it.

5376926030_e530afd233_b.jpg

Iao Needle by mary s b, on Flickr

The really weird thing is on the Cruise Critic "reply to thread", there is no yellow mountain icon. I only have manage attachments. So, I just did a past right into the text box.

Thanks again.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Mary

I see the yellow mountain icon when I click "Post Reply" and even in the Quick Reply box at the bottom of every page. But either way, I'm glad it worked! You may want to post the medium size photos in the future though. I know some people get annoyed when the photos are too big because it takes longer to load the page.

Archived