Amazon Cruise Nov. 2010

MeghKel

Bad Start: :mad: The embarkation check-in procedure took 3 hrs. No welcome on board once we finally made it there.

Wait staff was excellent as was the cabin staff. The shore excursion staff was disinterested at best.

The specialty restaurants were excellent! :)

The main dining room was good but, frankly did not reach our expectations. Maybe we expected too much due to the hype about the great food.

We didn't try to attend many of the "shows" as there was only one per night and it usually started at 9:30 pm. The one we did try to attend was SRO so I left after about 10 minutes.

Shore excursions on the Amazon aren't much to brag about. The ones we took were Ok, but generally overpriced for what you received.

We had a change of itinerary due to the low level of the Amazon. We were told that the fuel barge could not make it to Manaus. As we pulled into the Manaus, low and behold, we passed 2 or 3 fuel barges. I don't understand how a deep draft ocean going ship can sail to Manaus, and a low draft fuel barge can not. I'd appreciate someone explaining this too me.

Our biggest disappointment was not being able to tender into Samana at our stop in the DR. All the on board literature touted this port and indicated that we would be able to go ashore independently. We planned the next day's activities accordingly. When we went to get our tender tickets we were told the tenders only went to the island of Cayo Leventado.

All in all I felt that Oceania has some basic management problems that allowed some small, but ultimately important details to be fail. It's too bad that we have had this experience. We are fairly new to cruising and plan to take many many more. It is very doubtful that any will be on Oceania.

MeghKel - Sorry that you did not have a good Amazon cruise. Did the delay in boarding have something to do with the fact that there were pax that did not have the Visa for Brazil. This happened one time that we went on a SA cruise. The workers were putting so much time into helping the people who did not bother to get their Visas that the ones who wanted to check in had a longer wait. This was with another cruise line and I know how you feel about having to wait. However it took us 5 hours sitting in Ft. Lauderdale terminal to get on the ship and then there was no one to assist us because we were too late boarding. It might have also been that it took longer to check to see that everyone had their yellow fever shots.

I was just going to ask if anyone who had been on the Novemer 2010 Amazon cruise could give some tips as DH and I are going in March. The ship is full and I believe there are some from this board who are going. Travel agent said to make sure that we went to the parting of the waters which I really would like to see. Also that adventure is to take us to Lake Victoria to see the large lilly pads which I would like to see. I plan to take that excursion. Anything else that we should be sure to take and anything specifically that we should avoid.

Since we had already booked the Amazon when we were on our last cruise on Regatta, there were people to tell us about it. We were told that we will not be allowed to use our balcony when we are on the Amazon. That person said that we might as well get an inside for the Amazon cruise. However I realized that we would be able to use the balcony on about 2/3 of the trip so still went with the balcony. Were the bugs that bad when you were there. Does bug spray help at all? How was the humidity.

Answers or other comments would be helpful from anyone. Thank you.

MeghKel - Sorry that you did not have a good Amazon cruise. Did the delay in boarding have something to do with the fact that there were pax that did not have the Visa for Brazil. This happened one time that we went on a SA cruise. The workers were putting so much time into helping the people who did not bother to get their Visas that the ones who wanted to check in had a longer wait. This was with another cruise line and I know how you feel about having to wait. However it took us 5 hours sitting in Ft. Lauderdale terminal to get on the ship and then there was no one to assist us because we were too late boarding. It might have also been that it took longer to check to see that everyone had their yellow fever shots.

I was just going to ask if anyone who had been on the Novemer 2010 Amazon cruise could give some tips as DH and I are going in March. The ship is full and I believe there are some from this board who are going. Travel agent said to make sure that we went to the parting of the waters which I really would like to see. Also that adventure is to take us to Lake Victoria to see the large lilly pads which I would like to see. I plan to take that excursion. Anything else that we should be sure to take and anything specifically that we should avoid.

Since we had already booked the Amazon when we were on our last cruise on Regatta, there were people to tell us about it. We were told that we will not be allowed to use our balcony when we are on the Amazon. That person said that we might as well get an inside for the Amazon cruise. However I realized that we would be able to use the balcony on about 2/3 of the trip so still went with the balcony. Were the bugs that bad when you were there. Does bug spray help at all? How was the humidity.

Answers or other comments would be helpful from anyone. Thank you.

Our embarkation in Miami took longer due to registration and forms for the H1N1 virus in November, 2009. Other than that, it was still pretty fast. I had an Aft cabin and yes, your doors must remain closed. I enjoy my balcony daily and there were few bugs on the deck while docked. Just shut the door otherwise they fly in and they are big enough to leash and take for a walk. Once you enter the River, the bugs are everywhere. On some days, the outside tapas terrace was closed because of them. The staff are very diligent in removing them as they are seen inside the ship.

As far as the humidity, forget about your hair, I looked like a poodle especially when it rained. If you take a ship tour or private tour, they will certainly take to the parting of the waters. We also saw a pink dolphin. In Manaus, it would be a good idea to bring an old pair of tennis shoes that you will throw away after treking through the rain forest. Or...you can buy rubber overboots to go over your shoes. I brought a few pair so I would always have a dry pair of shoes and then threw them away at the end of the trip. I was disappointed in the lily pads. Not as pictured in the brochure. It all depends on the weather and water level. If you visit the Opera House in Manaus and purchase something in the gift shop, don't ship it; you have a better chance of getting it back in one piece yourself. My purchase arrived in puzzle pieces. Bug spray, yes, use it.

While in Boca de Valeria, instead of bringing pencils and school items as suggested by some, I collected lipsticks and makeup from friends who never use the free gift during a cosmetic promotion. The young girls who pose for pictures truly appreciated them. For the little girls, I brought little dolls and pretty hair ties. While in Boca, hire a guide to take you up the river to see the village. Worth the trip. Takes 15 minutes.

In Paritins, I paid a guide to take me around on a motorcycle so I could see the city. I don't necessarily encourage anyone to do that, but I returned safe and sound and it was well worth the ride. If I think of anything else, I will post additional. I also have a review if you do a search.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1109987&highlight=amazon+review

We were on the Nov. Amazon Cruise....delayed in boarding because of coast guard inspections, but once aboard all went well. Gotta go with the flow. All the Brazil ports were lovely, and 2 days of ship's excursions were well done. The lily pad jungle trek ( by boat if the water is high) was terrific. The guides were very informative. Glad we went on the Manaus town expedition to the Opera house....the Indian Museum was an unexpected delight. Well....the zoo....even the guide apologized. Sorry we didn't walk over to the real market where they had reallllly interesting fish! We are from Maui....you can basically "have" the Caribbean Islands...but Devil's Island was a delight! Best Island stop of the trip. And the message boards advised about the Cayo Levantado/Semana thing. We were fully prepared to love Cayo...and it was terrific....you can get a mani-pedi and a massage there. You can also get overcharged by the beach waiters unless you pay attention to the menu! Beware there! We were thrilled by the Boi Bumba in Paratins. Don't miss it. Aloha!

Archived