Is Altun Ha worth seeing?

murphfam4

YES specially if you havent seen ruins...they are easier to get to than others and easy to walk around and see....

we did the ships tour minus the river ride to them and ENJOYED very much last January...in December went to Lamani in Belize and Tulum when we were docked in Cozumel...out of those TULUM is most IMPRESSIVE then i really liked Altun Ha too along with Lamani.--they all are different and UNIQUE!!

YES specially if you havent seen ruins...they are easier to get to than others and easy to walk around and see....

we did the ships tour minus the river ride to them and ENJOYED very much last January...in December went to Lamani in Belize and Tulum when we were docked in Cozumel...out of those TULUM is most IMPRESSIVE then i really liked Altun Ha too along with Lamani.--they all are different and UNIQUE!!

THANKS..... we have been to Chichen Itza in Mexico years ago when you could still climb it! It was impressive and the kids (teens now) enjoyed it and want to see some more.

We had a great time when we went and our son (13 at the time) loved it. We found a tour guide once we got off the tender and negotiated for a personal tour, we had no desire to take a tour with a bus load of people. He took us out there and gave us a great tour. We were the first one's there and got some great pictures before people were climbing all over them. He also walked us through the rainforest and gave us tons of fun information.

We visited these magnificent ruins in December and it wasn't even our plan. We'd originally arranged to cave tube in Belize with http://www.experiencebelizetours.com/

We had a very professional and interesting time with this tour company in Belize. Once we arrived and the weather did not cooperate for us to take our Cave tubing tour, my contact Kenworth, immediately suggested a fine alternative tour personalized just for our group that included the wonderful Mayan ruins.

We had Dennis as our tour guide. He was very informative, personable and patient...and we all had a memorable time in Belize thanks to this company.

Dennis even showed us his house and invited us back as his personal guests. LOL.

Recommending them also because correspondence and communication before we even traveled to Belize was outstanding. Every need and change I needed to make (we had a small group of family and friends) was accommodated with grace and proper business arrangements.

Even in the inclement weather the ruins were amazing and huge. The climb and views from the top very worth it as well as having a native (as Dennis was) tell us things as we toured the site you can't get from a book. I imagine touring them on a good day would only enhance the experience. But weather notwithstanding, I'd do it again in the drizzle. LOL

THANKS..... we have been to Chichen Itza in Mexico years ago when you could still climb it! It was impressive and the kids (teens now) enjoyed it and want to see some more.

If you've seen Chichen Itza, then Altun Ha may seem like a remote mini version. The Altun Ha ruins are not tall, not spread out like C.I., and have been "restored" with modern concrete and wooden railings for the "stairway" up the highest building. The entire A.H. excavation could fit in and around the pyramid at C.I. I was just here on the Valor a few weeks ago.

I would suggest that the ruins at Xanantunich might be more to your liking.

Archived