First time cruising & Considering the Jewel

Beach.dreamers4

Hello! We have never cruised before, are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9&6) and are seriously considering booking a last minute cruise on the Jewel for March.

I have two questions...

1. We are having a hard time deciding between a balcony cabin and a mini-suite. I am wondering if other, similar sized families can give any insight on the size of the cabins, as I am having a hard time visualizing exactly (a) how close the quarters will be and (b) how much time we will use the space.

2. Also, regarding the kids clubs, are there structured activities, is it free play, or a mix of both?

Thank you very much! I have enjoyed reading the boards & reviews over the last few weeks.

Jennifer

If you are putting 4 people in the room I think the minisuite is best because it has a curtain you can close that gives some privacy. This way if you want to sleep the kids can watch tv and not bother you-or vica versa! The bathroom is also larger. I also am pretty sure the minisuites are all balcony cabins as well-if Im wrong someone please correct me. Just got back frm a cruise on the Jewel-it was great so enjoy!

Typical Mini-suite: Avg sq ft cabin: 231; Balcony: 54

Typical Balcony: Avg sq ft cabin: 162; Balcony: 38

Pics from my mini-suite on the Jewel

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

P.S. I would absolutely go for the mini-suite with 2 adults and 2 kids. The extra space (and separating curtain) are great. Also: are you even sure that you can put 4 people in a balcony?

Hi Jennifer. My family and I (DH, DD age 6 and DD age 4) are going on the Jewel the last week in March. Is that when you plan to sail?

We have booked a mini-suite for a couple of reasons. The square footage is a bit bigger, they have the curtain, and they have a bathtub. My girls are bath takers and I'm not sure if they would even be able to stand up in a tiny little shower on a moving boat without help from mom! I'd rather just pop them in to the bathtub! I'd prefer a "real" suite but it would have cost us over $2000 more and I just don't think it's really worth that much extra money for the amount of time we'll be in the room. $300 on the other hand is worth it! Just for the bathtub!

As for the 3rd and 4th bed situation... from what I have been told, in the mini-suites, the 3rd and 4th bed is the double pull out couch. They are not two separate beds as one would hope. So, you'll basically have 2 double beds in the room. That's it. The balcony rooms, on the other hand, will usually have the double bed, a single pull out sofa, and a single "upper" bed. But, the upper bed blocks the balcony so you will not be able to go, or see, outside very well until the bed is folded back up.

Hope that helps! Maybe we'll see you on the 3/27 sailing of the Jewel!

Cheryl (no longer pregnant, despite user name!) :D

Thanks, Cheryl! We are looking at the March 20th cruise, our Spring Break is really early this year.

Your post really clears it up the difference in rooms for me, thanks. We will go for the mini suite.

Do you know about the kids clubs? (structured activities vs. free play or both?)

Jennifer

I just had my first ever mini-suite on the Norwegian Jewel and I would highly recommend it. Mom and I cruised this time and the extra space was wonderful and the curtain was great! She could look out at the ocean without waking me up in bed from a late night at the disco. I would recommend the larger mini-suite highly! :D

As for kid's club... I wish I could help with the number of times I've been on the ship but don't know anyone who has used it. :(

We've been on the Jewel twice, and are sailing on her again this May.

First time 4 of us ( 2 adults, 2 girls, ages 8 and 13) shared a balcony cabin...it was fine for us...my 2 boys had an inside across the hall, and they'd even come a hang out in there with us as well. If the price difference was small..I'd go with a mini, but otherwise, I think the plain balcony would be fine. The couch pulled out to sleep one, and a bed (very safe) came out of the ceiling. They wouldn't put up the beds until we went out for the evening, so they weren't in the way.

The second time we decided to save even more $$ by booking an inside for the 4 of us (this time the girls were 9 and 14)...again..no issues. It was definitely smaller and lacked the natural light..however, we didn't spend much time in there anyway. But even when all 4 of us were in there, it was not a problem. We save lots of $$ by booking inside, that way we have more to spend on excursions...or another cruise!!!

Our upcoming May cruise...we went with an inside again...and it's a 9 nighter. I'm not at all concerned about space.

Everyone has there reasons for liking different cabins...and mine is mostly saving the $$ for other things as mentioned above.

As for the 3rd and 4th bed situation... from what I have been told, in the mini-suites, the 3rd and 4th bed is the double pull out couch. They are not two separate beds as one would hope. So, you'll basically have 2 double beds in the room.

Actually, the room description says that the mini-suites have 2 lower beds that convert to a queen size bed, plus the additional double futon for the 3rd and 4th passenger. (I'm no expert, but our family is cruising on the Gem in August, and I quick checked the 2011 NCL book.)

About the kids club...

My youngest daughter especially loves the club...we have a hard time getting her out of there. Throughout the day they have times/ structured activities, sandwiched with free time. They give you a timetable for the week, and you can go over it with your child to see what he/she wants to do/not do. My daughter, of course, wanted to do everything with her 'new best friends', even the free time.

The Jewel, you are thinking about sailing on the Jewel, is that what I am reading?!!! Well what a great ship, what a great shopper to find a bargain, that is the way to cruise, you did a lot of research and you picked a great ship especially for your first cruise. You wont be disappointed.

Hello! We have never cruised before, are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9&6) and are seriously considering booking a last minute cruise on the Jewel for March.

I have two questions...

1. We are having a hard time deciding between a balcony cabin and a mini-suite. I am wondering if other, similar sized families can give any insight on the size of the cabins, as I am having a hard time visualizing exactly (a) how close the quarters will be and (b) how much time we will use the space.

2. Also, regarding the kids clubs, are there structured activities, is it free play, or a mix of both?

Thank you very much! I have enjoyed reading the boards & reviews over the last few weeks.

Jennifer

Jennifer...get only one cabin..because at their ages to get 2 cabins you will need to connect..not adjoin...connect...so you are limited to getting 2 very expensive IMHO and not worth it because I don't smoke..balcony cabins..OR...and this is what we do with our 4 kids..who are a bit older than yours...and this allows us to take more vacations in the long run because of lower pricing.........get 2 connecting..not adjoining...Oceanview cabins.

but we are a family of 6 and have no choice but to get 2 cabins...you are only 4...so save the bucks and put all 4 in one cabin.

Personally...I would get mid ship oceanview and find a cabin that sleeps 4...you will not be there alot anyway and the kids will konk out allowing for private time.

save the cash...travel more...they grow up fast.

Thanks, Cheryl! We are looking at the March 20th cruise, our Spring Break is really early this year.

Your post really clears it up the difference in rooms for me, thanks. We will go for the mini suite.

Do you know about the kids clubs? (structured activities vs. free play or both?)

Jennifer

Hi Jennier. Join our Roll Call for March 20th. The link is below. It's a great way to meet your fellow CC cruisers:)

Archived