Flying in to Miami on the SAME day as cruise---bad idea??

StarboardIndigo

Hi all, I finally decided on the Carnival Glory! Quick question: We are flying on February 13 and our flight leaves DC and gets into Miami around 8:35 a.m. The cruise departs at 4 p.m. and we have purchased travel insurance (which I read in my policy only covers a 12 hour + delay).

Surely, getting in at 8:35 a.m. for a 4 p.m. departure is enough time for any possible delays, etc...right? It's a direct flight but I guess I'm worried. about the chances....any advice?

If it's direct and Non Stop, what's the issue? I've flown from NY 16 times the morning of my cruise and never had an issue, arriving in MIA by 10AM, wheeling my carry on to the cab stand to board via VIP lounge by 11AM or so. You have insurance, so why worry?

Hi all, I finally decided on the Carnival Glory! Quick question: We are flying on February 13 and our flight leaves DC and gets into Miami around 8:35 a.m. The cruise departs at 4 p.m. and we have purchased travel insurance (which I read in my policy only covers a 12 hour + delay).

Surely, getting in at 8:35 a.m. for a 4 p.m. departure is enough time for any possible delays, etc...right? It's a direct flight but I guess I'm worried. about the chances....any advice?

Sounds like you're taking one of the first flights out which is good. Your plane will probably be at the gate overnight. Many times it's not your local weather but the weather from your planes origination. Might be sunny in DC but snowy and delays in Chicago.

We've never had a problem flying out the day of the cruise, but we've never left in February either.

One thing I've been reading more & more about lately is that, due to airline cutbacks, the airlines simply don't have lots of open seats to reschedule you, if something goes wrong with your flight. As recently as 2-3-4 years ago, you could get moved to a flight just a few hours later, with little problem. Now, it can take days.

With that big snowstorm in the Northeast that hit just after Christmas, I read dozens of stories online about people who couldn't get a replacement flight for several days. One particularly heartbreaking story involved a high school marching band from Maine who'd spent 2 years raising money to fly to London & march in the New Year's Day parade. After the snowstorm hit, they couldn't get rebooked on a flight for 4 days or so, and had to cancel & go home. Many other stories like that...

Granted, the chances of a major blizzard disrupting your plans are minimal, but my point is that that replacement flights are much more scarce than they used to be.

Good luck!

And I agree with this logic, that being standby if your one day early flight gets cancelled, I would have an easier time getting out of the airport having scheduled my flight the morning of the cruise!

Having an early flight means nothing if the plane is not there, the pilot is not there (or had exceeded his flying time), there is mechanical difficulty, or a storm closes the airport (made worse if you have a connecting flight).

I am cruising from Ft Laud on Feb 26. I am flying from NJ. Because it is an 8 day cruise (leaving on Sat) and limited vacation time with a new job I am forced to fly in the morning of the cruise.

Because it is late Feb with a chance of snow I bought insurance from the airline and from the TA (who booked my cruise).

I do have a 6am flight that will get to Ft Laud around 8:45 am but if there is snow / ice I can be stuck at the airport for half a day waiting to get out.

Timing sounds good but National or Dulles always have delays if there are any weather issues. Having trip insurance is a good idea but who wants to be filling out claim forms instead of cruisin' :(.

Find a hotel and leave a day (or two) early. Also, think about flying into FLL and take a shuttle to the port of MIA.

Have fun...

I am on that same sailing !!! I will be flying from NYC the day before though. It would be way to stressful for me to flight the same day, as everyone else has said, anything can happen.

And I agree with this logic, that being standby if your one day early flight gets cancelled, I would have an easier time getting out of the airport having scheduled my flight the morning of the cruise!

Hi evandbob. What would you do if the morning-of-the-cruise flight gets cancelled?

I have flown out of O'hare for seven cruises on the same day without a problem and plan to do it again this April. Based on how many flights there are a day across the USA I am of the belief that the odds are in your favor

I'm flying at 7:40 am to arrive at 10:40 am in Miami the day of the cruise which departs at 4 pm. Leaving out of Phila. 3/6/11. I can't do anything about weather other than monitor it a few days prior.

Is it really an issue flying out this early?

I figure most people who post here are going to be the ones who fly in a day ahead just like most reviews on CC tend to be unpleasant ones as people tend to report problems more than good experiences.

Well, I cannot wait to see your post should YOU miss the boat! I disagree with you most posts here are not about unpleasant problems.

Good Luck and Have a fun Cruise. Oh, Lets hope there is not any bad weather in PHL on 3/6. Oh. Lets hope your plane does not break down on 3/6. Oh, lets hope your flight is not oversold and they leave you behind.

First of all... We're sailing with you on 2/13 on the Glory - flying from northeast also!!!

This is our sixth cruise in Jan/Feb/Mar/April timeframe. We have left on the day of and on the day before - if you're already locked into your flights just roll with it!!

It seems that everything has been said... but I'll give you my thoughts anyway!!!

I'd rather be on the cruise than get my $$ back from travel insurance

I like to start to unwind before I walk onto the ship

I like to wake up a cab ride from my fabulous well-earned, much anticipated vacation

It's not like a land vacation that you can arrive anytime, if you're late you literally miss the boat!!

The airline industry has changed drastically in the last several years - it's just not as simple or reliable as it used to be

I guess you should see how it goes this time and you may want to go a day ahead in the future - do what works for you. And hey check out our Roll Call thread for the Glory 2/13/11 cruise. Join a bunch of CCers getting together for drinks and let us know how you made out...

Archived