Cruising alone with a 5 year old...

Lalarav

Praying we arrive safely and on time with our expected weather report....Any tips or suggestions for crusing alone with a 5 year old? Hes excited for all I've told him about the childrens programs, he isn't shy at all and open to whatever is in store for him. All in all he is very easy to travel with. I haven't cruised in 5 years and much has changed. Whatever all of you experts have to offer, I'll take! Thanks fellow Cruise Critics!:D

I cruised alone with my 3 year old last November for the first time. We had a blast. I'm sure you will too. My big rule is that he isn't allowed to touch any doors, (cabin door or balcony door). It made me feel safer that he would not try to escape while we were sleeping. Also, be sure to have legal documentation that gives you permission to travel outside the country with your son.

jam82-

Thanks for the response. I have the same rule going for my son. He's not allowed to go near our balcony door without me being present. He's been threatened many times over the past few weeks so I think it's pretty clear in his head. I'm not certain what you mean about documentation on traveling outside the country? I am the sole and custodial parent. There;s no one to obtain permission from? The cruise line didn't mention anything about this either. Thanks.

My big rule is not climbing. Period. If you climb on anything (except the beds) you don't get to go to the kids center.

Take a portable DVD player. Most cruiselines have so/so kids programs. Sometimes it's nice to let them watch the DVD player so you can watch something else on the tv.

The biggest thing is just be flexible. Traveling with your kid is a wonderful experience. I also love to designate one night as room service night. We have a blast having a late night food party in our room.

jam82-

Thanks for the response. I have the same rule going for my son. He's not allowed to go near our balcony door without me being present. He's been threatened many times over the past few weeks so I think it's pretty clear in his head. I'm not certain what you mean about documentation on traveling outside the country? I am the sole and custodial parent. There;s no one to obtain permission from? The cruise line didn't mention anything about this either. Thanks.

Even if you are the sole, custodial parent, you have to have something that proves this, as any one could say that and take their child out of the country for the reasons of abducting their child from the other parent. Even though that probably doesn't apply to you, it's better to be safe than sorry, because if you don't have documentation to prove that you have the right to take your child out of the country by yourself, they can deny you and your child boarding, and there is no refunds if that happens.

jam82-

I'm not certain what you mean about documentation on traveling outside the country? I am the sole and custodial parent. There;s no one to obtain permission from? The cruise line didn't mention anything about this either. Thanks.

I'm also the sole parent and have no one to obtain permission from, but I've had to prove that a few times when taking my children in or out of the country. Whatever documentation you have for your situation that proves you are the sole custodial parent....they won't just take your word for it, which is a good thing. It's not just the cruise line you have to worry about, it's the authorities of the countries you are entering/exiting, including the U.S. (I have been asked for the paperwork when re-entering the U.S. from a cruise).

Best,

Mia

You are all scaring the pants of me because I have no time to obtain such documentation. Here's what I found on the Royal Caribbean website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I've also called them and they said my travel does not require such documents. Whew! Thanks for the warning though!

You are all scaring the pants of me because I have no time to obtain such documentation. Here's what I found on the Royal Caribbean website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I've also called them and they said my travel does not require such documents. Whew! Thanks for the warning though!

Yes, and these are the same people who told you that you'd have no problem boarding on time with this flight, discussed in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1340759&highlight=

Your cruise goes to Mexico, doesn't it? If so, you absolutely need to bring your paperwork. If you are the parent with sole custody, you need to bring this court paperwork with you, or you risk being denied boarding. If this happens, you lose all your money; there are no refunds.

Don't rely on customer service representatives at a cruiseline to know anything about immigration law. This is the law about traveling to Mexico with a minor child and only one parent:

Traveling With Minors

A child under the age of 18 traveling with only one parent must have written, notarized consent from the other parent to travel, or must carry, if applicable, a decree of sole custody for the accompanying parent or a death certificate for the other parent. Children traveling alone or in someone else's custody must have notarized consent from both parents to travel, or if applicable, notarized consent from a single parent plus documentation that the parent is the only custodial parent.

Does your child's birth certificate list a name of a father? If not, then I don't think you need to provide anything further. If John Smith is listed as the father, then you will need to show that either:

1) John Smith gave you permission to leave the country with his child; or

2) John Smith is deceased

3) The court has awarded sole legal and physical custody to you only.

Although, I am also a single mom and this past December I went on a cruise with just my 2 year old son. I had a notorized letter from his father allowing me to take him out of the country, but I never had to show it to anyone. Which is strange because my son and I don't even share the same last names. I did have passports for us both though. . . . .

Hi All-

After a few phone calls and a lot of perspiration I finally spoke with a Manager at Royal Caribbean who clarified that the laws have in fact changed and it is NO LONGER REQUIRED to have a notarized letter from the other parent on the birth certificate giving permission to travel with the child. Our last names are the same and my passport and his birth certificate reflect this. Mel303 lucked out but she probably should have had to show the letter since her last name differs from her childs last name.

All in all the letter is not required in this situation (thank god) and they have documented my reservation so that I do not run into this conflict again at the pier.

Thank you to all who showed their knowledge and concern and please note to call if in doubt, speak to a manager and have then note your reservation.

RCCL has absolutely no authority over federal immigration officials who won't care that it's noted on your reservation. Most likely, you won't be asked for the documents, but that doesn't mean they're not required when leaving/entering certain countries, and that you couldn't be delayed/stopped for not having them. I know there's nothing you can do about it at this point, but I don't want someone else with the same situation to read your post and think the documents aren't required. My last name is the same as my childrens' and I have been asked for this at immigration when re-entering the U.S. after a cruise. Had I not had it, I could have been delayed long enough to miss a flight.

Best,

Mia

Hi All-

After a few phone calls and a lot of perspiration I finally spoke with a Manager at Royal Caribbean who clarified that the laws have in fact changed and it is NO LONGER REQUIRED to have a notarized letter from the other parent on the birth certificate giving permission to travel with the child..

RCCL has absolutely no authority over federal immigration officials who won't care that it's noted on your reservation.

Kerry's Girls is correct' date=' and the Manager at RCCL is [b']WRONG[/b]. Immigration laws have NOT recently changed. Cruise line employees are not immigration agents. It doesn't matter that you have a passport/birth certificate or that your last names are the same. If your child has a birth certificate listing you as the only parent, or if you have court documents showing you have sole legal and physical custody, bring this paperwork, even if you are now convinced you don't need it.

If you don't have this paperwork, or the notarized letter, I wish you the best of luck. As already written several times, it is not wise to rely on cruiseline employees for immigration information. You could be allowed to board, and then when you reach a port in Mexico (where immigration officials come on board to clear everyone) you could be forced to remain on the ship. Cruiseline employees often just don't know what they are talking about.

Hi All-

After a few phone calls and a lot of perspiration I finally spoke with a Manager at Royal Caribbean who clarified that the laws have in fact changed and it is NO LONGER REQUIRED to have a notarized letter from the other parent on the birth certificate giving permission to travel with the child. Our last names are the same and my passport and his birth certificate reflect this. Mel303 lucked out but she probably should have had to show the letter since her last name differs from her childs last name.

All in all the letter is not required in this situation (thank god) and they have documented my reservation so that I do not run into this conflict again at the pier.

Thank you to all who showed their knowledge and concern and please note to call if in doubt, speak to a manager and have then note your reservation.

I'm almost sorry I brought up the topic, but it was suggested to me when I cruised alone with my son, and I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

You're going to have a great cruise.

I'm a single parent who has traveled overseas numerous times with my 11 year old son. I have never been asked by immigration to prove I'm the parent, and we have different last names. People are scaring you for no reason.

No, most of the posts here have provided OP with the correct information. She's not traveling "overseas"; she's taking a cruise that has stops in Mexico. Mexico's requirements have already been posted. OP is free to do as she pleases and I wish her the best of luck.

I'm a single parent who has traveled overseas numerous times with my 11 year old son. I have never been asked by immigration to prove I'm the parent, and we have different last names. People are scaring you for no reason.

I was asked for proof in the Frankfurt airport... and I had a signed notorized letter from my husband... they scrutinized it then let me through....

• 2 months later...

I am the only parent for my daughter. I always take her birth certificate and passport with me. I have cruised to Mexico and was never asked for any documents.

However, I was flying to Canada once and they questioned me where the letter from her father was... I told them, "she doesn't have a father", look at the birth certificate - it only lists MY name. This officer still had an issue and asked me bring a letter next time... I asked "from who"? LOL. Some people just don't get it... it doesn't take 2 to make a baby anymore :D

I am the only parent for my daughter. I always take her birth certificate and passport with me. I have cruised to Mexico and was never asked for any documents.

However, I was flying to Canada once and they questioned me where the letter from her father was... I told them, "she doesn't have a father", look at the birth certificate - it only lists MY name. This officer still had an issue and asked me bring a letter next time... I asked "from who"? LOL. Some people just don't get it... it doesn't take 2 to make a baby anymore :D

Well, it pretty much does! Biologically speaking. Sorry, but I'm not getting your response.

I recently cruised with my 4.5-year-old. I am married, and DH was with us, but I would suggest the following for this age range:

*Definitely bring a DVD player. You can use it in the cabin if you need a little rest break. Put on a favorite movie, and there is your chance to unwind. My son won't nap, but he needed to get some down time everyday, and the DVD player worked for that.

*Definitely take advantage of the kids club. You need a break, and your child needs some activities with other kids.

*Depending on your child's swimming ability, bring a "bubble" for floatation so he can stay in the pool for as long as he wants without you having to be in with him. My son's a good swimmer for his age, but the bubble meant I could really relax and just sit in a lounge chair close to the pool while watching him swim with other kids. The bubble is sold at the YMCA, but if you don't have a Y in your area, maybe you can find something similar.

*Maybe go on your cruise's roll call to see if there are other single parents or other parents with a child of similar age. Try to connect.

*If you have a balcony cabin, go out there when your child is sleeping to enjoy the stars and maybe a glass of wine or some sort of special treat you enjoy.

Have a great time. My hat is off to single parents. It's a tough job, and you deserve a break.

I recently cruised with my 4.5-year-old. I am married, and DH was with us, but I would suggest the following for this age range:

*Definitely bring a DVD player. You can use it in the cabin if you need a little rest break. Put on a favorite movie, and there is your chance to unwind. My son won't nap, but he needed to get some down time everyday, and the DVD player worked for that.

*Definitely take advantage of the kids club. You need a break, and your child needs some activities with other kids.

*Depending on your child's swimming ability, bring a "bubble" for floatation so he can stay in the pool for as long as he wants without you having to be in with him. My son's a good swimmer for his age, but the bubble meant I could really relax and just sit in a lounge chair close to the pool while watching him swim with other kids. The bubble is sold at the YMCA, but if you don't have a Y in your area, maybe you can find something similar.

*Maybe go on your cruise's roll call to see if there are other single parents or other parents with a child of similar age. Try to connect.

*If you have a balcony cabin, go out there when your child is sleeping to enjoy the stars and maybe a glass of wine or some sort of special treat you enjoy.

Have a great time. My hat is off to single parents. It's a tough job, and you deserve a break.

Sorry! When I replied to this post, I didn't notice the date of the original post. OP, if you are out there, how did it go? What did you learn that you can pass on to other parents?

Archived