Guiesseppe the BOSUN

donna5

Has anyone seen him on any of ships lately? He was on the Tahitian and was wondering if he is on any other ships?

If you are talking about Guiesseppe the headwaiter, he was on the Crown in October and I hope they fired him. He was the worst and most rude headwaiter I have ever encountered on Princess.

Please people I want the Bosun if I wanted a waiter I would not have posted it as the BOSUN!!!!:rolleyes:

You are correct Donna. How did the thread get headwaiter out of Bos'n (check spelling). The Bos'n is a crew member that we very seldom hear about of course.

Ciao for now!!!

Bosun

Also Boatswain, bos'n, bo's'n, and bo'sun, all of which are pronounced Bosun. A crew member responsible for keeping the Hull, Rigging and sails in good repair.

The term “bosun” originates from “boatswain,” which is still considered to be a technically correct spelling of the word. Both words stem from a much older English word, batswegen. The batswagen was a boy or follower of the boat, and generally considered to be more like a servant than a member of the crew. The function of the job evolved with the word, which turned into boatswain in the late 1400s. Gradually the pronunciation of the word changed, and the spelling began to reflect that: most sailors use the spelling of “bosun” to refer to boatswains.

Today, the bosun is an important part of the ship's crew. On small boats and sailing ships, the bosun still works with the deck crew to coordinate work and organize duties. When the bosun is also a ships mate, he or she is accorded more authority and respect among the crew. On larger ships where the majority of deck tasks are automated, the bosun is in charge of the deck crew and ceremonially calls them to work using a bosun's pipe, a specially designed whistle.

The bosun's pipe uses a series of tones to convey orders. The sound could be clearly heard over other noises on a busy sailing ship, and in some navies whistling by crew was forbidden to avoid confusion. The bosun's pipe is still used on small ships to relay orders, and in the formal ceremonies of many navies. The bosun's pipe was also considered to be a badge of rank, because ordinary seamen were not permitted to wear it.

BosunDog WhistleBoatswain Mate

Traditionally, the bosun has his own crew and series of mates. The bosun's first mate was often given punishment duties, for example, and might be left in charge of the deck crew when the bosun was not on duty. The bosun's crew works like a well oiled machine to keep the ship safe and running smoothly, and coordination between its members is crucial in an emergency situation.

And here's some other terms

http://www.bosunsmate.org/glossary/

Just curious, how did you happen to meet or interact with the bosun?

The Tahitian like the other R-ships are small ships. He was always there when when we docked, tendered, walked around the decks. On the smaller ships you meet and know a lot of the crew. We had fun pulling pranks on him.:)

Archived