SPB Tours for Lubeck and Wismar

Has anyone used SPB to tour Lubeck and Wismar? We were originally looking at going to Berlin with them from the ship but now may be interested in this alternate tour of Lubeck and Wismar.

Had not heard of it but I am interested to hear what you learn. We are using SPB for St. Petersburg deluxe tour and am very impressed with the responsiveness so far.

Had not heard of it but I am interested to hear what you learn. We are using SPB for St. Petersburg deluxe tour and am very impressed with the responsiveness so far.

Bob - Anthony from SPB has communicated with me that their information for this tour will be available in the next few days and he will be emailing me with the prices etc. I am impressed with the tentative itinerary that I have seen so far. I have considered Friends of Dave but would really like to see Lubeck as well as Wismar. Linda

Bob - Anthony from SPB has communicated with me that their information for this tour will be available in the next few days and he will be emailing me with the prices etc. I am impressed with the tentative itinerary that I have seen so far. I have considered Friends of Dave but would really like to see Lubeck as well as Wismar. Linda

I will email Anthony right now, as he has been my contact for St. P.

Dear All,

Have put almost too much time into researching this issue. Consider the following:

(1) Even with 12 hours in port, consider how much time should be allocated to the travel process and how much to visiting sites of interest. It is useful to take a look at a map as well as to do at least some superficial reading about the locations you are considering. Many folks do feel that six hours on the train (or bus/van?) followed by six hours in Berlin on a bus seem less than "fun." Berlin, like Paris, London, Rome in 6 hours seems to be a self-defeating activity. For myself, unlike Paris/London/Rome, I don't even feel informed enough to select activities to fit the time available.

(2) Consider the process and understand the free enterprise system. What is it about ship's tours? They cost more because the cruise line is to be paid for promotion/recruitment and the product is developed for the lowest common denominator and favors riding around and time for eating and shopping. In a similar manner, a tour company with US representatives (for example our number one highway drivers company with its own travel agency) works with an international touring company that has representatives in other country X, or your example of Russian tour company X offering services in another country -- the more hands touch the product, the more people are to be paid? I read an extreme example of this process in which a CC member proudly announced their development of a private 2-day tour of St. Petersburg for two people with a base price of $1,200, when most CC readers know that the all-inclusive price for the deluxe product (within a 16-passenger group) would be half that amount -- but you have to make your arrangements directly with the Russian travel agency.

(3) In a similar manner, find a regional travel agency in Germany. I found this a challenge but received a referral from a company that provides services in Finland and Estonia. Take a look at Sieben Segel Tours (located in Rostock). I have had great communication with Anne Kirchmann. We have looked at brief touring guides of Rostock, Wismar, Schwerin and Lubeck, the driving distances/times between various points, and our tolerance for tour length. As an example, the drive to Lubeck is two hours. We have arranged 9 1/2 hours of van and guide for the first Sunday in June with an itinerary of Schwerin, Wismar, and then time in Rostock (as permitted). With a group of 16, our base expense is 52.5 euros. (Other expenses will be any admission fees, paid directly with group discount, food as we decide, and driver/guide tip.) You make the comparison.

(4) Within reason, I should be able to attach these brief pdf guides to an email response should you email me with a request.

Try to remember that planning your trip is just part of the overall fun,

Cordially,

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

We have booked this tour with SPB for August 16 on the Eclipse.

Anthony quoted us prices including a 10% discount since we are booked with them in St. Petersburg for a 2 day tour. It is a 9.5 hour tour and includes both Wismar and Lubeck. I have posted on our roll call to see if there is interest to join the 4 of us. If not, it will just be the four of us. I had expressed interest when we booked the St. Petersburg tour but they did not have the itinerary at that time. The ship's tour is a little cheaper but I think the smaller group will make for a better experience.

Annette

We have booked this tour with SPB for August 16 on the Eclipse.

Anthony quoted us prices including a 10% discount since we are booked with them in St. Petersburg for a 2 day tour. It is a 9.5 hour tour and includes both Wismar and Lubeck. I have posted on our roll call to see if there is interest to join the 4 of us. If not, it will just be the four of us. I had expressed interest when we booked the St. Petersburg tour but they did not have the itinerary at that time. The ship's tour is a little cheaper but I think the smaller group will make for a better experience.

Annette

We have decided to book as well for June 14 from the Norwegian Sun. Hope to find others to join us. I did notice that NCL had discontinued their excursion to Lubeck so maybe hopefully there may be some interest for the SPB tour of Lubeck and Wismar.

Archived