Snorkelling at Orient Bay

Schplinky

Can you rent snorkel gear at Orient Bay? We are not regular snorkellers but we thought it would be fun to swim for 30-60 min and see what we could see. Since we have nothing to compare it to, we presume that what we can see from the beach will sufficiently impress us.

Orient Beach is not the best beach for snorkeling - although there is some snorkeling - if you head out from Pedro's Restaurant and angle a little toward Club Orient. I don't know if there is anywhere you can rent equipment.

Actually the area where you can snorkel (by Pedro's) is somewhat protected from the waves by an offshore island. When the waves are rough at the north end to middle of the beach, they are are quite tolerable at the south end - thanks to the island. The last time I was there the waves were uncomfortabley rough for me (bad knees - I get knocked over easily) at the mid-point of the beach - so i walked down to the south end by Club Orient and had no trouble getting into the water - although I admit I felt a little odd as one of the few people in a bathing suit in front of Club Orient.

Even then, it all depends on the weather within the last week. Some days are rough while other days are flat.

Zeno - Not only did your bathing suit set you apart from the crowd, but the BIG SMILE was the clincher! :) :)

Archived