Splendor on the way

natmarie

if Carnival cancels the feb 20th sailing probably they will refund your airfares......... if you are flying Southwest. they won't charge to cancel your flights, just pay the difference or give your credit......

Yes, we're flying Southwest from SF to LA on the morning of the 20th. But if I want to re-book on another cruise from say.... Galveston or Florida, is Carnival going to pay the enormous difference in cost for six people with only 7 days notice? Already airfares have tripled.... so I doubt Carnival is going to cover the cost us flying to another port even if we book the same week on another boat.

Thanks for being nice, I think. And thanks for noticing me over on Carnival as well... much obliged. :D

I realize some people aren't going to agree. But I happen to think that given the history of this event, and how many people have already been impacted, it's absolutely Carnival's responsibility to publish information when there's deviation from their published schedule. Someone knows why it has not left San Diego, and I think they owe people an explanation, even if it's in the form of a travel alert just to assure people that the 2-day delay from San Diego will have no impact.

Actually Carnival did say what had to be replaced in San Francisco -- a diesel something and two alternators.

On to the money... they're not losing $2.7 million per cruise. Many people re-book at a 25% discount as offered. So they're only losing 25% on the people who re-book plus some airline fee changes. Hard to say what percentage have not re-booked. Neither one of us know. Also take into account that they've actually SAVED money in labor costs by not having to pay their 1,000 crew members for the sailings that have canceled. I doubt the bartenders, crew, and others are being paid by Carnival to sit on their butts at home right now. Some of them perhaps have been reassigned. And they've saved money on fuel costs by not having had to run the ship for the last two months.

Now, I'm sure it's costing a lot of money to fix the ship, but that's another story... they'll be able to write that off as operating expenses and it won't affect their bottom line at all. Big companies like Carnival are experts at taking losses and writing it all off in the end.... my guess is the Splendor being out of service for three months will be a mere blip on the balance sheet when all is said and done. And if you think otherwise, you're naive to how big companies operate and the tax loopholes and advantages they get by writing big losses off. It's like a company who has to settle a big law-suit... they write off the loss/expense over a couple years and pretty soon it's hardly noticeable.

We've done most of the Southern California things over the years, but thanks for the suggestion. This was something new we thought we'd try.

But if they cancel 1 week prior to sailing, I'm sure you can understand what a b*tch it will be to find any sort of decent last minute airfare for six people. It's not like the airlines are going to give me a break either.

Carnival does not owe you anything.....you dont seem to understand, its not their job to keep you updated. That ship barring anything else will be ready to go on the 20th, so just relax and dream of the funship special your going to be drinking in time.

And here is an update from John :

OK, just spoke to the senior officers on Carnival Splendor. The ship is leaving at noon local time and will arrive in San Francisco early on the 24th. I wonder if Host Mach or someone can post this on CC as I know its a hot topic there................not that some there believe what I say so for them ..........the Carnival Splendor has left and is currently doing 75 knots heading to Detroit.

Good to know....

But I'm confused about your Detroit comment...

Carnival does not owe you anything.....you dont seem to understand, its not their job to keep you updated. That ship barring anything else will be ready to go on the 20th, so just relax and dream of the funship special your going to be drinking in time.

And this is where you and I and other people may disagree. I think given the situation they do owe information and updates... and not just to ME... to EVERYONE who's booked. So, how about just a little travel alert at the top of the Carnival web page that says "Splendor Update:" And when you click on it, there's a snippet that says... "We are delayed leaving San Diego because... X.... and this will not impact our 2/20 sailing." Not much to ask really. But if you don't think it's their job to update people, that's fine. I do.

For those who may be annoyed with these Splendor posts please keep in mind that you do not have to read them nor do you have to agree with them. I think in many cases those who are booked on this ship are looking for a place to vent or just wanting to read what others are thinking that are actually booked on this ship for upcoming cruises.

It's much like those who are asking questions about the CD scheduled for a particular ship or favorite deserts in the MD. Even those who have issues on a particular sailing will often just want to vent to each other.

I'm not booked until the May 1st sailing but I miss the excitement that comes with planning excursions etc. It's not so easy to do when so much is up in the air. I can imagine those who are due to sail within the next month are experiencing much of the same.

How nicely said. Thank you.

Yes, we're flying Southwest from SF to LA on the morning of the 20th. But if I want to re-book on another cruise from say.... Galveston or Florida, is Carnival going to pay the enormous difference in cost for six people with only 7 days notice? Already airfares have tripled.... so I doubt Carnival is going to cover the cost us flying to another port even if we book the same week on another boat.

Carnival WON'T PAY for your difference of airfare if you decide to cruise out of a different port............ use common sense!!!!!!

Thanks for being nice, I think. And thanks for noticing me over on Carnival as well... much obliged. :D

I realize some people aren't going to agree. But I happen to think that given the history of this event, and how many people have already been impacted, it's absolutely Carnival's responsibility to publish information when there's deviation from their published schedule. Someone knows why it has not left San Diego, and I think they owe people an explanation, even if it's in the form of a travel alert just to assure people that the 2-day delay from San Diego will have no impact.

Actually Carnival did say what had to be replaced in San Francisco -- a diesel something and two alternators.

On to the money... they're not losing $2.7 million per cruise. Many people re-book at a 25% discount as offered. So they're only losing 25% on the people who re-book plus some airline fee changes. Hard to say what percentage have not re-booked. Neither one of us know. Also take into account that they've actually SAVED money in labor costs by not having to pay their 1,000 crew members for the sailings that have canceled. I doubt the bartenders, crew, and others are being paid by Carnival to sit on their butts at home right now. Some of them perhaps have been reassigned. And they've saved money on fuel costs by not having had to run the ship for the last two months.

Now, I'm sure it's costing a lot of money to fix the ship, but that's another story... they'll be able to write that off as operating expenses and it won't affect their bottom line at all. Big companies like Carnival are experts at taking losses and writing it all off in the end.... my guess is the Splendor being out of service for three months will be a mere blip on the balance sheet when all is said and done. And if you think otherwise, you're naive to how big companies operate and the tax loopholes and advantages they get by writing big losses off. It's like a company who has to settle a big law-suit... they write off the loss/expense over a couple years and pretty soon it's hardly noticeable.

We've done most of the Southern California things over the years, but thanks for the suggestion. This was something new we thought we'd try.

But if they cancel 1 week prior to sailing, I'm sure you can understand what a b*tch it will be to find any sort of decent last minute airfare for six people. It's not like the airlines are going to give me a break either.

I do understand, and I really hope that everything works out for you guys. Congrats again!

Archived