What did you bring that you totally DID NOT NEED?

Ok, so a few days into our cruise last week, I opened up one of the drawers in our room and saw the travel-size Static Guard that we had brought along. Coming from MN in the middle of the winter, where everything is dry and staticy, I thought that bringing Static Guard was brilliant planning on my part. Well… it is not dry and staticy in the Caribbean – duh!!! The Static Guard just took a vacation with us, did not get touched, and then flew back home to MN with us.

So this got me to thinking – what kinds of things do people bring with them on their cruise that they just completely didn’t need? In planning for our first cruise, I learned so much on CC about what to bring. I would love to hear the other side of this.

What did you bring along that you totally did not need?

I am sure some people may disagree with unneeded items, but let’s please keep this nice:D.

Cloths as well for me. My wife is insane when it comes to packing and will always insert extra cloths into my suitcase. I pack 2 pairs of nice pants for supper since I only wear them for 2 hours a night and 2 pairs of jeans that I never wear but I take just in case. But on every trip the first night in the hotel i see 5 pairs of pants and 5 pairs of jeans.

Another thing I always take to many of are books. Normally I read 1 to 2 books a week so i will bring a couple, but on the 3 cruises I have been on so far I have yet to actually read any of them. To many other things to do.

Duct Tape...Taken it but never used it.

I do use the over the door shoe organizer, highlighter and powerstrip although I use a smaller three outlet one (without cord) with USB ports on top to charge I-Pods.

I also carry over the counter medications "just in case"

Usually the over the door thingy and bungee cords. I use the powerstrip and clothespins. I usually overpack too many shoes! But every cruise the list gets shorter and bags get lighter ;):D.

Just goes to show, everyone is different. We have used our bungee cords every cruise so far. usually to help dry bathing suites. But the first night on the first cruise hubby had to bungee th hangers in the closet. The waves were bad enough the hangers were making a racket and keeping him up.

I say definitely the over the door hanger (don't take it anymore) and to many clothes. We've gotten better with the clothes as now we plan dry cleaning (not for undies and such, just pants,shirts, etc..).

Erika

Non savvy cruiser here.....I could guess what the clothepins are for, but what do you clip them to, the shower rod?

On the ships that still have the shower curtain you can clip them to the bottom of it about 6-8" apart and it will hold it in place and keep it from wrapping around your legs. Others use them to clip the curtains together to keep the light out.

Just a fast thing on the stadic guard spray. I pack the dryer cling sheets in my bag in a little zip lock baggie. They are really handy if your hair is fly away or even a dress. Just brush it over the item and you are good to go. They are also great to throw in your clothes to help eliminate that musty smell your clothes get when returning from an island destination and they take up no room at all. Now, what I bring that I shouldn't is way to many bathing suits and, of course, a cover up to go with each. My husband is still trying to break me of this.

I buy a new bathing suit, "little black dress", dressy flipflops (if there is such a thing:o, and a few new tops. Also, do the Crest home teeth-whitening, get a manicure and pedicure, and a fresh haircut/color. No wonder I come back from a cruise and my co-workers think I look SO refreshed!! It's probably all the preparation I did for the cruise, hahaha.

Just realized I was listing all the things I bring, but this is about what we bring that we don't need. Too many plans and expectations for one. I need to just go with the flow and see what happens rather than trying to plan everything out in advance. Also, too much clothing, and shoes!! I'm trying to pare it down but I know I'm still overpacking.

I buy a new bathing suit, "little black dress", dressy flipflops (if there is such a thing:o, and a few new tops. Also, do the Crest home teeth-whitening, get a manicure and pedicure, and a fresh haircut/color. No wonder I come back from a cruise and my co-workers think I look SO refreshed!! It's probably all the preparation I did for the cruise, hahaha.

Oh that's funny because I do the exact same thing, and yes, I do have dressy black flip flops w/ my little black dress. :)

Archived