Getting to Nyhavn

kruzgal

We are sailing on board Celebrity Eclipse this summer and would like to do a canal boat tour in Copenhagen. I have read that we need to get to Nyhavn Street but I was wondering how do we get there? Is it walking distance or do we need to catch a bus? Sorry if that has been mentioned before but I have spent hours searching for the answer!

We are sailing on board Celebrity Eclipse this summer and would like to do a canal boat tour in Copenhagen. I have read that we need to get to Nyhavn Street but I was wondering how do we get there? Is it walking distance or do we need to catch a bus? Sorry if that has been mentioned before but I have spent hours searching for the answer!

I took that canal tour and you will see it departing from Nyhavn in this

Once you are in Copenhagen (station/Tivoli/Information centre) it is a very easy, level walk,maybe 10 minutes at the most, and because Nyhavn canal is so famous it will be well signposted or easy to ask for.

All the best, Tony

We docked at Langelinie (I believe this is the most popular spot). It is just a very short walk to the Little Mermaid statue. From there maybe, at the most, a 15 minute walk to Nyhavn,and it is a very nice walk. The canal boat tour is great and you will love it. remember to duck your head though as many of the bridges you will go under are very low.

Nyhavn is just a fabulous area to wander around in, either before or after your canal tour. Stop and get something to eat, or just browse around in the shops. truly old European atmosphere

Here are a few of my pix from this area and from our canal cruise

Nyhavn

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

Looking right down the canal

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

Remember to duck your head

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster280.jpg

You get a different perspective of the city from the canal

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster277.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster276.jpg

Cheers

Len

I live in Elsinore, Denmark (approximately 40 km north of Copenhagen - 45 min by train) but work right around the corner from Nyhavn. You can walk to everywhere in the center of the city easily, but if you get tired there is a plenty of busses and the metro to take you wherever you need to go. They run every 4-5 minutes.

I've done the Canal tour a few times with friends visiting from the states, and really like it - just remember that some of the boats are open, and the weather changes fast here, so bring a raincoat or an umbrella if you go just to be on the safe side.

Some excellent advice Dorothea, and you ought to know. Welcome to our boards. I'm sure you will bring some great info and advice to those looking to spend some time in Copenhagen.

Cheers

Len

Thank you. We are just in the process of researching our first cruise (Actually cruises - Caribbean and South America, the first being a "test run"). I've been lurking a while and really appreciate all the good advice on this board, and thought I could pay back a little by answering some questions about Denmark. I'll probably be on CC a LOT over the next few months LOL

/Thea

I live in Elsinore, Denmark (approximately 40 km north of Copenhagen - 45 min by train) but work right around the corner from Nyhavn. You can walk to everywhere in the center of the city easily, but if you get tired there is a plenty of busses and the metro to take you wherever you need to go. They run every 4-5 minutes.

I've done the Canal tour a few times with friends visiting from the states, and really like it - just remember that some of the boats are open, and the weather changes fast here, so bring a raincoat or an umbrella if you go just to be on the safe side.

Hi: I see restaurants in Copenhagen are quite expensive! Where does a local eat for lunch and dinner?

Dave

Hi: I see restaurants in Copenhagen are quite expensive! Where does a local eat for lunch and dinner?

Dave

Aside from the street vendors selling sausages and hot dogs - which is probably best for a quick lunch, Copenhagen has a lot of ethnic restaurants where you can usually get a cheap dinner. A lot of pubs also serves sandwiches - both open face and regular sandwiches at reasonable prices and some even serve hot meals from a limited menu too.

With regards to regular restaurants - lunch is the time to go, since most have a cheaper lunch menu if you eat before 3 PM. Nyhavn and the inner city has LOTS of restaurants and even in the evening, most have daily specials. Also remember that tips and taxes are INCLUDED in the price.

When my husband and I just need a relaxing non-fancy dinner we usually go to Madklubben @ Store Kongensgade. You get to pour your own wine but the food is very good and reasonable. Average price for a 3 course meal there is about $35

I don't recommend eating inside the Tivoli gardens if you are going there - like Disney you pay a lot of money for food which is not really worth it.

Aside from the street vendors selling sausages and hot dogs - which is probably best for a quick lunch, Copenhagen has a lot of ethnic restaurants where you can usually get a cheap dinner. A lot of pubs also serves sandwiches - both open face and regular sandwiches at reasonable prices and some even serve hot meals from a limited menu too.

With regards to regular restaurants - lunch is the time to go, since most have a cheaper lunch menu if you eat before 3 PM. Nyhavn and the inner city has LOTS of restaurants and even in the evening, most have daily specials. Also remember that tips and taxes are INCLUDED in the price.

When my husband and I just need a relaxing non-fancy dinner we usually go to Madklubben @ Store Kongensgade. You get to pour your own wine but the food is very good and reasonable. Average price for a 3 course meal there is about $35

I don't recommend eating inside the Tivoli gardens if you are going there - like Disney you pay a lot of money for food which is not really worth it.

Thanks for the input. We do tend to eat our main meal at lunchtime when staying overseas unless we know of a particular restaurant we choose for dinner in the evening. Glad you posted that tips were included in the bill.

We have 3 days to visit your lovely city and intend to enjoy it to the fullest.

Dave

Thanks for the input. We do tend to eat our main meal at lunchtime when staying overseas unless we know of a particular restaurant we choose for dinner in the evening. Glad you posted that tips were included in the bill.

We have 3 days to visit your lovely city and intend to enjoy it to the fullest.

Dave

With 3 days I would consider taking a day trip either to Roskilde and the Viking ship museum or to my home town Elsinore and the Castle of Hamlet. Both are a 45 min train ride from the central station ($10/person/one-way). The trains run every 10-20 minutes and both the museum and the castle are a nice 10 minute walk from the stations. Both Roskilde and Elsinore (Helsingor) are medieval towns founded in the 12th century, with lots of narrow streets and several pre-columbus houses.

In Roskilde you could also visit the cathedral where all our kings and queens have been buried for the last 700 years, and for those a little more adventurous - take the bus to Lejre, a living stone age village and historic center.

In Elsinore, you could take a short 35 min boat trip to Sweden (the ship actually have a nice restaurant on board as well). If you are visiting during the summer you can even bring your swimsuits because you can walk to a very nice beach from the castle.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It seems as if it will be a nice walk but if we decide against it bus 26 seems to be the way to go. Thanks again for you help.

Remember that if you do take the bus that the ticket is good for unlimited transport within the chosen zones for an hour after the time stamped on the ticket and that you only need to BOARD the next bus or metro within this time frame for it to be valid.

Thanks. Do you know if you can buy a day ticket for unlimited use and if so how much would it be? I am just wondering if this would be better.

You can buy a one day ticket good for all zone for 24 hours (will even take you to Roskilde and Elsinore) for kr. 130 (appr. $ 23) or a ticket which covers zone 1-4 which all of the central Copenhagen for Kr. 70 (appr. $ 12.50). These tickets can be bought at all train stations.

You can also buy a visit Copenhagen Card For Kr. 229 (appr. $40). It covers all transport and entry at 65 locations - including Tivoli Gardens, Round Tower. The official Danish Convention & Visitor Bureau offers this, and you can buy it at all major train stations and visitor bureaus. If you plan to visit several museums it might be the way to go.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/copenhagen_card/what_is_included_with_copenhagen_card

As comparison - a single 2 zone ticket bought in the bus valid for one hour cost kr. 24 ($4.25)

As Len has noted, you can walk down to Nyhavn from your docking area. We walked the rough three miles back from Tivoli and City Hall Plaza, enjoying the whole journey very much.

The Canal Boat tour/ride is wonderful. You can get it from Nyhavn. Below are some of my visuals from this charming harbor places, sights seen during the canal tour, etc. Some ship tours will pick you up closer to one of the main docking area at Gammel Strand near Hojbro Plads and Christansbourg Palace.

Check out this posting for more options to consider in this wonderful city:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,950 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

Added Copenhagen's canal views and getting ready for going under a highly detailed bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

1A-Copenh-UnderBridge.jpg

Near the completition of our Copenhagen's canal tour at Gammel Strand near Hojbro Plads and Christansbourg Palace:

CopenCompleteCanTour.jpg

Here is a longer shots of the Little Mermaid statute showing how relatively small it is.:

1A-Copenhagen-Statue-Long.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

Archived