Sea sickness

Grifftails

Hi,

Does anyone of you know what the weather normally is like in May? I' one of those unlucky ones that tends to get seasick but not willing to give up going by boat..We don't have bonine availible here in Sweden any other suggestions? If in fact I would get sick can I get a shot for it on the QM2?

Kindest regards,

Malvina

Grifftails,

QM2 is very stable, even in moderate seas. For those who need help with seasickness, the dispensary or medical facility is available. We noticed the most motion up toward the bow during the rougher seas. If you can, select a midship cabin for the smoothest ride. If you want a sea state prediction when you are closer to your voyage, check the site below. I'm sure you will be very comfortable....have a good voyage.

Rick

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WAM/all_natl.html

Hi,

Does anyone of you know what the weather normally is like in May? I' one of those unlucky ones that tends to get seasick but not willing to give up going by boat..We don't have bonine availible here in Sweden any other suggestions? If in fact I would get sick can I get a shot for it on the QM2?

Kindest regards,

Malvina

I got sea sick on the QMII in the Carabbean. I used the patch that you put behind your ear. It works extremely well. I got dry mouth from it, but, others who used it told me that they had no side affect. I took it off after one day, and, I was ok for the rest of the cruise on QMII.

My partner gets seasick - the jab solves the problem fast if bad. He was fine even in the huge and very rough seas we had on the QE2 December crossing after the jab..... So our view is that this is the fall back if pills / patch is not working. It knocks you out for a few hours but it works!

There's also a product you can purchase at any pharmacy, it's called Sea Bands. It's a wrist band that apparently when applied properly stimulates a an appropriate pressure point and restores an even keel to woozy passengers.

I've not tried it, but, have a pack at the ready should we hit some rough seas heading out of New York next week.

Cruiserking

I have been a boater for over 20 years and have crossed the Atlantic twice on the QE2. If you are prone to seasickness no amount of stabilizers on any size vessel will help you, especially when you are crossing the Atlantic. One of the biggest culprits in making seasickness worse is the inability to focus on the horizon and get yourself back in "balance". Unless you want to stay on deck for the journey the best thing is to medicate or use some of the alternative methods like Sea Bands. Remember though, any pills should be taken before hand. Once you begin experiencing symptoms, these meds do not work well or not at all. One word of caution. If you can, I would try to sample any medications before departure if you have never taken them before. I had a bad reaction to the patch, (that lasted for days) but luckily it was while salmon fishing and not while on a cruise. I am about to cruise on the QM2 and was informed by my travel agent that all I need to do is call and make an appointment with the medical clinic to receive the shot. I have taken this before and it worked wonders for 6 days without any side effects except for the initial 8 hour nap it made me take. If you do it before retiring to bed on the first night it will guarantee you a very restful sleep. I believe the shot has the same active ingredients as Bonine, but you should check with Cunard and then check with your doctor. I just believe in playing it safe. I have seen plenty of poor souls very sick even on cruises when we were sailing the blissfull seas of the Caribbean.

I too have been ill on a cruise. I tried the patch, and unfortunatly, I cannot take it. I take a Bonnie before bed, but still feel a little tired, and I am afraid to drink too much while taking the Bonnie. I will take it a couple of hours before sailing on the QM2 in April, and then find out about the shot. That, sounds great!

There's also a (new?) device called ReliefBand.

It's FDA approved to relieve nausea. I've just ordered two to use on our 3/9 cruise. Everything I've read about them is very positive. People claim that they work even if the nausea has already started.

The device looks like a watch which you wear it on the inside of your wrist. It emits steady electrical pulses which you can dial up or down. I've read reviews from people with motion sickness, morning sickness and post-chemo, almost everyone seems to rave about them.

They're not cheap at $75, but they're reusable and if it's the difference between enjoying the cruise and trying to hold down lunch it's worth it for me.

iy

The shot is not for everyone. My Mom has glaucoma and they refused to give her the shot on the QE2 and she had no alternatives other than be sick for 6 days on a crossing. Also, because of some other daily meds she's on because of her heart condition and other things, she can't take any "pills" to relieve sea sickness she found out while asking the doc on the QM2. (Seasickness questions just never came up at home to ask her own doctor.) Luckily it only happened to her really badly once. Don't know about patches and the bands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know the cost of the shot onboard... just in case :o

One person said the shot cost $40.00,while another said $60.00 While most cruise lines give free motion sickness pills free the QM2 wanted $12.00. Everything is quite expensive.

Guest juliae

Hi,

Cunard designed the QM 2 as an ocean liner instead of a cruise ship, so it is more stable than the other transatlantic cruises. All of the suggestions in the earlier posts all seem to work well, take a few different seasickness options with you and see which one works best. I'm always glad that there are emergency supplies onboard ship, but I like to get my seasickness supplies before I leave because prices aren't so high.

If you do get sick, try eating a slice of bread or saltine crackers and drink some apple juice until the seasickness medication starts working. It really settles the stomach!

Best Regards,

Julia

You can purchase Bonine on the ship, of course. One a day is reassuring if you are afraid of seasickness. However, I found that you do eventually get your sea legs when you've sailed more than once (my very first crossing was through a severe storm), and I rarely take the Bonine now (makes me too groggy anyway).

When the weather is extremely rough, though, Bonine might not be sufficient. The shot works, but will knock you out for about 10 hours. Also, QM2 does seem to be more stable than QE2, although the latter take the rough seas very well.

One thing I would advise (which may be obvious) is to eat only a light meal if you notice the ship is rocking more than usual.

Hi - I was on the April 2nd QM2 cruise. The first 24 hours were rough. Having been on cruises before, I never got sick. But I had the second cabin from the front on the 9th floor, and was feeling not-so-well during the rough seas we encountered. Sunday morning, the ships nurse was making rounds on our floor, and came in and asked if anyone needed an injection. I got one and it knocked me out for most of the day! She said it had an antihistimine in it that would make me drowsy, and it sure did. Cost of the shot was $67 and I would recommend it for those who want immediate relief. The pills available at the pursers desk cost $12.

I have chronic inner ear imbalance and cruise twice a year anyway thanks to Bonine aka the former prescription drug, Antivert. It is sold at most drug stores and you can often find it for 4.99 a bottle of 50. It works on the mechanism that causes you to feel queasy and has no side effects of drowsiness like Dramamine. Check of course with your MD if you are on prescription meds that could interact. I take 2 every 6 hrs beginning the day before sailing, 2 about 2 hours prior to sailing and then 1 every 6 hours throughout the cruise even on port days.. sometimes 2 if the seas are rough.

Another suggestion is to see if your home MD will write you a scrip for Phenergan. This is an antinausea drug used often in pre-and post-surgery and treats nausea. If you do get seasick in spite of bonine, seabands, etc. you can always try this before heading to the ship doc. It's relatively inexpensive and most MDs I know will prescribe 10 or so for people going cruising...

just some suggestions..

Caroline

We sailed on the October 31 2004 crossing, which according to the captain was the roughest so far for the QM 2. My mom, who is a nurse in Sweden, provided us with the patch behind the ear, which worked like a charm. Neither me nor my husband had any ill effects from the patch, nor did we get sea sick, though we heard of several people who ended up having to spend several days in their cabin from being very ill. Enjoy your cruise.

I must reiterate, if you have any medical conditions, (heart problems, glaucoma, etc. ), no patch, or shot will work, nor will you be given any medication.........so be prepared to go the distance. I was able to buy the pills for just $5.00 on the QM2 last June. Just an FYI!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

On the westbound 16 - 22 Apr it was roughish on the first two days. The ship doesn't roll but as the swell was onto the bow it pitched quite a bit (nose up and down) and my wife felt queasy and off her food. We went to the nurse in the med centre, she had a jab, slept all night and was woozy the next morning and then 100%. The jab is approx $60 but, wow, was it worth it !!!

Archived