Anyone else getting overwhelmed with excursion planning??

chellochariot

Lucky for me I'm retired now, as I tend to over plan for upcoming vacations. Like many of you, it's my first and perhaps only trip to Alaska. I think the best advice I've read so far about what to see and do is to figure out what it is you most want to see in Alaska. Is it a glacier, whales, bears, Alaskan native culture, scenery? The figure out how to do them, within your budget. Di I really need to get out on a glacier from a helicopter, or is seeing one up close on foot (Mendenhall) enough. Will I be content seeing whales at a mile through binoculars, or do I want to hear them breathing. How many Totem poles do I want and need to see? One salmon bake enough? Is doing one thing in each port enough, or should I try to squeeze in as many as possible? If you're really active (us, not so much), how about kayaking, hiking or biking? If there are things you can do closer to home, cross them off this time. And then there's...do I need to book far in advance? Oh, these choices.

My particular issue is having booked a day and a half in Denali, one day totally free. Now, do I really want an 8-hour school bus ride through wild tundra with a 30% chance of seeing McKinley, and a probable chance of seeing several brown bears at a distance? Or, will that be a day to go pet the dogs?

Celebrity Millenium in July...Jeff

My particular issue is having booked a day and a half in Denali, one day totally free. Now, do I really want an 8-hour school bus ride through wild tundra with a 30% chance of seeing McKinley, and a probable chance of seeing several brown bears at a distance? Or, will that be a day to go pet the dogs?

Oh, yes, you want to go into Denali.....and pet the dogs!!:D The dogs do not take up that much time, but you will see wondrous things inside the park..way into the park, not the NHT.

Celebrity Millenium in July...Jeff

Frankly there is little other reason to consider Denali, getting into the park is what it is all about.

IF this is not to your preference, then I would suggest you NOT even bother spending all that time and money in that direction. Maybe, Seward/Homer etc would be of more interest to you. Even Anchorage area has plenty to see and do.

Thank you for your reply and good thoughts. I've already booked the trip, and going to Denali was on my should-see list. I simply wasn't aware (my fault) there was only one way in, and to do it right was an 8-hour ride on a school bus. The two-hour Discover Denali trip that Celebrity includes in the package is, in the minds of several, not really seeing Denali. I had originally assumed it was more, and the itinerary doesn't ell you what it is.

My main concern was talking my wife (bad back) into going far into the park. Now that we've talked, it's fine and we're doing the route to Tolkat. We've concluded that if you're going to go, do it right.

Thank you for your reply and good thoughts. I've already booked the trip, and going to Denali was on my should-see list. I simply wasn't aware (my fault) there was only one way in, and to do it right was an 8-hour ride on a school bus. The two-hour Discover Denali trip that Celebrity includes in the package is, in the minds of several, not really seeing Denali. I had originally assumed it was more, and the itinerary doesn't ell you what it is.

My main concern was talking my wife (bad back) into going far into the park. Now that we've talked, it's fine and we're doing the route to Tolkat. We've concluded that if you're going to go, do it right.

I think you made the right decision and you won't regret it.

Budget Queen - Yes we will be doing the Tundra Wilderness. I believe we will be arriving into Seward around 12-1pm. Our ship doesn't set sail until 9pm so I would rather see some of Seward then spend the day on the ship.

Jasminelee - Chris Conder from Rum Runners is very nice. I called and spoke with him several months ago and he was very helpful and very nice. Said he would work with us on times and drop us wherever we wanted after the tour.

Account4fun - I'm so glad you posted. The print out I have from last year said the game would be on the 19th. I ordered a free Fairbanks Visitors Guide but didn't really look at it. Sure enough the book says the game is on the 21st. My son is gonna be so disappointed. There is the Midnight Sun Festival on the 19th but I don't think he'll care about that. There is also the Yukon 800 Boat Race, it is the longest, roughest, toughest speed boat race in the world on the 18th and 19th. Maybe I'll look into that as we will be there both days.

Budget Queen - Yes we will be doing the Tundra Wilderness. I believe we will be arriving into Seward around 12-1pm. Our ship doesn't set sail until 9pm so I would rather see some of Seward then spend the day on the ship.

Jasminelee - Chris Conder from Rum Runners is very nice. I called and spoke with him several months ago and he was very helpful and very nice. Said he would work with us on times and drop us wherever we wanted after the tour.

Account4fun - I'm so glad you posted. The print out I have from last year said the game would be on the 19th. I ordered a free Fairbanks Visitors Guide but didn't really look at it. Sure enough the book says the game is on the 21st. My son is gonna be so disappointed. There is the Midnight Sun Festival on the 19th but I don't think he'll care about that. There is also the Yukon 800 Boat Race, it is the longest, roughest, toughest speed boat race in the world on the 18th and 19th. Maybe I'll look into that as we will be there both days.

How are you getting to Seward and from where, most times the cruiseline buses arrive mid to late afternoon. I always suggest people also consider, if in Anchorage just ditch the cruisetour at that point and book yourself on the Alaska RR. This then gets you there a little after 11am, and if you wish to take advantage of a superb boat tour to Kenai fjords, it would be available..

We are getting to Seward by bus from Anchorage. Celebrity told me the bus will leave between 9am & 10am which would get us into Seward around 1-1:30pm. The ship isn't leaving until 9pm and I have no intention of hanging around on the ship when I could be enjoying Seward. I also checked with Celebrity to see if I could upgrade from bus to train or go off on our own and they told me no.

Having been a long time Alaska visitor and poster on this board, one recommendation, I have repeatively, is to do your homework and work out your ENTIRE touring itinerary BEFORE you get into booking and reservations. Many times, I see, people in a constant state of change, and rush into bookings that may have cancelation fees etc.

Step back and sit on initial choices, continue to look and read. THEN book. At this date , there is little that isn't available.

So right, Budget Queen - I booked before really knowing a lot, being very concerned that we would not get a port side balcony. Just tried to do a simple change from 2 nights in McKinley Princess and 1 in Denali Princess to the other tour which has 1 at McKinley and 2 in Denali - we are 9 months out, and Princess says that tour is booked - and we're #37 on the wait list!! And every other tour option that has 2 nights at Denali is booked. So we are now looking at tour operators, or doing it alone. Not looking forward to all the baggage handling that this now means - 2 women with 2 bad backs! :-)

Archived