San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Sorry I've been away from my own thread for a while!!

New restaurant opening in Downtown San Pedro. Philly B's!! Nice little family pizza place on 6th street between Centre and Mesa. Grand Opening is tomorrow so I'll report back when I've tried the grub!!

Thank you, Wineaux. I look forward to your review.

DW & I prefer to stay within easy walking distance of the Crowne Plaza when we are in town before and after our cruises. We have enjoyed several of the restaurant recommendations on this thread and it will be fun to have another restaurant on our list.

We have to return our rental to long beach the day of cruise. Going to take a

taxi from long beach to San padro cruise terminal. Any idea how much this would cost and how long a ride this is.

Are you dropping off in downtown Long Beach or at the airport?

Went to Philly B's for a slice of pizza. Good pizza!! AND they are open LATE!!

11:30p during the week and 2:30p on the weekend (walk up service only after 11pm). They have sandwiches and other items on the menu as well but have yet to try them. Nice addition to the downtown area and a good place to get a quick bite if you come in late. :)

Went to Philly B's for a slice of pizza. Good pizza!! AND they are open LATE!!

11:30p during the week and 2:30p on the weekend (walk up service only after 11pm). They have sandwiches and other items on the menu as well but have yet to try them. Nice addition to the downtown area and a good place to get a quick bite if you come in late. :)

Thanks, it sounds like a good place for us to go next May. I could not find a website for it, but it appears to be a chain.

Thanks, it sounds like a good place for us to go next May. I could not find a website for it, but it appears to be a chain.

It's not a chain. Owned and operated by local San Pedran, Phil Buscemi. Not affiliated with any other Philly B's that may be out there.

Looking for something to do in San Pedro? Starting October 11th and running for 39 days Cirque du Soleil "Totem" is in the outer harbor in San Pedro!! My wife and I are going on the 13th. We'll tell you how it is but for anyone who has seen any of their shows...I'm sure it will be awesome!! :)

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/totem/tickets/los-angeles.aspx

Wineaux Thank you so much for wonderful info. Fellow Ohioans here and really appreciate you keeping updated info the past few years. Will be in San Pedro beginning of November and staying at DT. Quick question - how far is an IN& OUT? My husband had worked in CA for quite a few months and that is all he came home and talked about so I think I need to try one! Thank you in advance.

Do it now--the price is always $65 or $70. 3 1/2 stars for the CP and Doubletree. About 5 weeks ago I got the CP for May 12 for $70, started the biding at $50.

If you get it, put the info on the sticky at the top of the West Coast Departures http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412919&page=36

Have never used priceline. Have current reservations at Double Tree and looking at priceline. From my understanding you have to give them all your billing info prior to knowing what hotel you get. Are you stuck with that hotel then or if you do not like it can you cancel?

Wineaux Thank you so much for wonderful info. Fellow Ohioans here and really appreciate you keeping updated info the past few years. Will be in San Pedro beginning of November and staying at DT. Quick question - how far is an IN& OUT? My husband had worked in CA for quite a few months and that is all he came home and talked about so I think I need to try one! Thank you in advance.

The only In and Out is on Western and not within walking distance of the DT. See if the hotel will shuttle you there.

Have never used priceline. Have current reservations at Double Tree and looking at priceline. From my understanding you have to give them all your billing info prior to knowing what hotel you get. Are you stuck with that hotel then or if you do not like it can you cancel?

I use Priceline sometimes and even more often Hotwire, but you are 'stuck' with your winning bid hotel on Priceline, or your selection on Hotwire, so you have to be a little bit open to risk.

I use the sites to offer bidding help for Priceline and Hotwire to get a fairly good idea of what I'll probably get. So far we've had good luck.

The slight exception was my fault for not knowing the area. The hotel was fine, and really cheap, but quite a taxi ride from port. I'd have been better off with a more expensive hotel that was within walking distance of the port. We'd have come out ahead.

As Nebr.cruiser said, you are "stuck" with the hotel once your bid is accepted. However, bidding on a San Pedro 3 1/2 star hotel will result in either the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree. To my knowledge there are no other 3 1/2 star hotels in the area. You can also try HotWire secret hotels.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Wineaux this is not cruise related but a question about the airport at Burbank. I have a friend asking about this airport instead of LAX. She is staying at a hotel in North Hollywood for a convention. Will flying in there be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Wineaux this is not cruise related but a question about the airport at Burbank. I have a friend asking about this airport instead of LAX. She is staying at a hotel in North Hollywood for a convention. Will flying in there be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Burbank is probably the best airport for a North Hollywood destination.

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Barbara,

I use Burbank all the time...especially when flying for business...or anywhere serviced by Southwest Airlines. It is a GREAT little airport. You can walk from one end to the other in about five minutes...

At the gates, they use those old-fashioned roll-up stairs and usually board and depart the planes in both the front and the back of the airplane. Luggage return is a single carousel...Lines are either short or nearly nonexistent...Getting in or out of the airport is quick.

It is VERY CLOSE to North Hollywood (though I'm not sure why anyone would book a convention there!)...and to Universal City, Studio City, Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, the entire San Fernando Valley and, of course, Burbank...

For your friend, she should be overjoyed if she can find an appropriate flight in and out of Burbank...

Edited by Bruin Steve

As the others have stated, if you're planning to stay in the Valley/Hollywood area for sightseeing purposes, then it's an easy choice. I just wouldn't advise it if planning to stay by the ports or on the West Side (such as Santa Monica) as you would have to get a taxi or shuttle ride over there.

we are going sunday and wondered about the show...and where did you suggest someone eat after the show?

thanks in advance....

Looking for something to do in San Pedro? Starting October 11th and running for 39 days Cirque du Soleil "Totem" is in the outer harbor in San Pedro!! My wife and I are going on the 13th. We'll tell you how it is but for anyone who has seen any of their shows...I'm sure it will be awesome!! :)

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/totem/tickets/los-angeles.aspx

Barbara,

I use Burbank all the time...

For your friend, she should be overjoyed if she can find an appropriate flight in and out of Burbank...

Bruin Steve thanks for the information. I appreciate it very much and I'll pass it along to my friend.

Barbara

Bruin Steve thanks for the information. I appreciate it very much and I'll pass it along to my friend.

Barbara

I agree with all of what Bruin Steve has to say. The man is more knowledgable about hotels and airports outside of San Pedro than I am. Keep up the good work Steve!!

• 3 weeks later...

Philly B's is a great little pizza place in Downtown San Pedro. Casual atmosphere and their pizza is thin crust New York style and much better than the alternative Downtown, Niko's. I am going to a BYOB dinner there in a few weeks and will report back on the rest of the menu.