Passports for children?

jrcruise210

We do passports for everyone. It's easier than dealing with potential problems. Last night, I watched a show on the RCI Oasis of the Seas and they actually wouldn't let people board due to documentation questions. Why risk it? Also, in the even of an emergency, a US passport will get you in and out of just about anywhere in the world.

In reality, passports for kids are only good for 4 1/2 years, as many places will not accept a passport that is within 6 months of expiring.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question about the above (and maybe someone else does too?)

First off, I'm a big believer in passports. I'm not a doom-and-gloom type of person, but the reality is that it's a scary, changing world and a U.S. passport is the only solid, global, practically universal form of identification. And in regards to travel, it just makes things go smoother!

My question: My son's passport expires in May of next year, but we are cruising before that in February. I can't renew his passport before the cruise, because he turns 16 two days before we sail. (16 is the magic age where you don't have to somehow produce an absent ex-parent.) I know the 6-month rule for expiring passports generally applies to land travel to foreign countries, but what about cruises? Should I bring his birth certificate and state ID as backup?

My gift to each of my Grandkids when they were born was a check to their parents to get them a Passport (book). When they turn 5, Mom and Dad will get another check. This came in handy a few years ago when we got a late last-minute deal to Costa Rica!!

My question: My son's passport expires in May of next year, but we are cruising before that in February. I can't renew his passport before the cruise, because he turns 16 two days before we sail. (16 is the magic age where you don't have to somehow produce an absent ex-parent.) I know the 6-month rule for expiring passports generally applies to land travel to foreign countries, but what about cruises? Should I bring his birth certificate and state ID as backup?

If you are taking a closed loop cruise, then no destination country requires a passport, much less one with 6 months extra validity. The US accepts a US passport up to and including the expiration date. You will be just fine waiting until after your cruise to get him his 10 year passport. ;)

Contemplating taking both Passports and Birth Certs.

I agree passports are needed, but how do I prove the kids are mine without birth certificates? Especially in the situation of a child'd last name being different than their parent?

Passports do not list who the child's legal guardian is..

A customs agent would probably be able to pull up that info. but what about the ticket agent at the pier?? Perhaps I'm being a bit too paranoid..

We got passports for our kids starting at 4mo for each. They are good for 5 years and we just renewed DD's. Its much easier not to have to worry about changing documentation rules. Just get the passport and you know you will always be in compliance.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question about the above (and maybe someone else does too?)

First off, I'm a big believer in passports. I'm not a doom-and-gloom type of person, but the reality is that it's a scary, changing world and a U.S. passport is the only solid, global, practically universal form of identification. And in regards to travel, it just makes things go smoother!

We sailed in december and dd's passport expired a few months later in Feb and we didnt have a problem whatsoever with the 6 month rule

I agree passports are a good idea, it after all is the ultimate ID.

FWIW I haven't seen anywhere where they stamp for ports. Immigration in many countries coming in airports yes, ports almost always just need your cruise card and you are good.

Depends how smart the person asking to see some ID is.

I showed my American passport at a department store in White Plains some years back, and the cashier didn't want to accept it.

We had to call the supervisor.

Just MHO, but I think a passport is a must in the post-9/11 world. We have one for our four-year-old. It was a very easy process and came in the mail three weeks from the time we applied. A passport is also a great form of identification for minors who are too young for a driver's license or other type of ID.

..I agree passports are needed, but how do I prove the kids are mine without birth certificates? Especially in the situation of a child'd last name being different than their parent?

Passports do not list who the child's legal guardian is..

A customs agent would probably be able to pull up that info. but what about the ticket agent at the pier?? Perhaps I'm being a bit too paranoid..

No you are not paranoid. Several cruiselines do specify that if the child's last name differs from the travelling parent(s), that proof of relationship may be required. RCI has this on their documentation page. In reality, older children are not usually asked for this, as they can identify their parents if taken aside and are not the usual target of parental abduction. Small children are scrutinized more, especially if travelling with only one parent with a different last name.

Archived