Taxes and Fees

Maybe someone can explain how the cruiselines justify their taxes & fees?

Looking at a 3-day leaving from Port Canaveral T&F = $59. The cruise has 1 port in Nassau

The 7-day Freedomleaving the same port shows T&F =110. That cruise has 4 ports.

So either the 7-day T&F is too little or they're charging too much for the 3-day cruise?

Anyone know the real scoop behind this or do the lines just make up a number?

Looking at a 3-day leaving from Port Canaveral T&F = $59. The cruise has 1 port in Nassau

So either the 7-day T&F is too little or they're charging too much for the 3-day cruise?

Taxes differ by who's charging them, ie different ports of call, and how long the ship is docked and the services the port provides.

Since a lwa suit from the FLAG some years ago, all taxes and fees have to be exactly what the cruiseline is charged, they cannot make the number up like they used to

While I don't believe that they simply make them up, I don't believe that they are required to "justify" them. It seems that a number of factors go into establishing the amount, one of which being the fees that each port charges. It could well be that those fees in the additional ports only add $51 to the total (assuming of course that port charges are the only fees involved). Even if you compared two different lines going to the same ports and found a difference in the amount of taxes and fees charged, there could well be a legitimate explanation. Basically, it is what it is.:)

Bill

Taxes differ by who's charging them, ie different ports of call, and how long the ship is docked and the services the port provides.

Since a lwa suit from the FLAG some years ago, all taxes and fees have to be exactly what the cruiseline is charged, they cannot make the number up like they used to

This has been one of my pet peeves. The cruise-lines lump all the these Taxes & fees all together. However if you fly you will see them all itemized. Even my phone bill lists fee

after fee!! How is anyone to know if they know making them up or no if they don't list them??:confused:

The embarkation port can be a large part of the fees. RCI cruises out of Fort Lauderdale generally have much higher fees than those out of Port Canaveral. From what I've read here, ever since Fort Lauderdale got the Oasis/Allure contract and had to build that new terminal, the fees have been significantly higher.

While I don't believe that they simply make them up, I don't believe that they are required to "justify" them. It seems that a number of factors go into establishing the amount, one of which being the fees that each port charges. It could well be that those fees in the additional ports only add $51 to the total (assuming of course that port charges are the only fees involved). Even if you compared two different lines going to the same ports and found a difference in the amount of taxes and fees charged, there could well be a legitimate explanation. Basically, it is what it is.:)

Bill

Bill I'm not complaining about the port fees - I understand the ports charge per passenger and that the cruiseline pass it along.

Overall when I look at fares I already factor in my gratuties of $12/day pp and 'estimate' 10% for port fees.

However on a 10 night Southern Carribean cruise on the Millenium with 7 ports the additional charge was like $120 and I'm looking at a weekend getaway on the Monarch with 1 port and it's almost $50!

I just wish the 'taxes and fees' were broken out like on my phone bill, or cable bill, or my plane ticket! Sometimes I wonder if the 'taxes and fees' aren't the cruiseline's version of 'shipping and handeling' :rolleyes:

Archived