How reliable are Alaska port arrival times?

bobolink

I'm going to post a similar question on AK board as well. Planning to book an independent excursion tour in Juneau while we are cruising on the Ryndam. Is it wise to assume that we could be available for an 8:30am tour when the HAL website lists port time as 7am-9:30pm? This tour is not offered as an excursion through HAL.

Thanks!

It depends.

Is this the first stop in Alaska after a stop in Canada? Everyone will need to clear customs and immigration, then.

Do you dock or is it a tender port? It's easier to judge an "arrival on the pier" time if you don't have to tender.

If you do have to tender, are you in a suite with "priority tendering?" If not, you may be delayed until suite and pax with HAL-booked excursions are tendered into the dock.

Is the tour operator familiar with cruise ships and passengers? They'll adjust their times to meet the ships' times.

Generally, there are few weather-related delays in Alaska (some fog at times) but mechanical problems can occur anywhere.

Uh-Oh, I booked whale watching with Capt Larrry in Juneau. Our tour starts at 3:30pm and we are scheduled to arrive at 2:30.

Does this give us enough time???

Or....am I just worrying too much and the tour company(ies) have done this before?

Pam, Carol and Captain Larry at Orca can reassure you that they know when your ship docks and will be there waiting for you if you are delayed. If you are still concerned about the timeframe, call them or email them--they take into account most of the "ifs" when they book you.:)

That's the dilemma.... the vendor doesn't recommend either way, just stated their policy very kindly. The decision is entirely up to me and that's why I've asked the question I have about reliability. I really want to take the risk, but every $350 counts in AK.

Thanks for all your help, experienced folks!

Frankly- IF the vender does NOT recommend it, then that is a sure sign that you take all the risks and may lose out. I would not consider this myself. I have taken many many Alaska tours independent and ALWAYS go with the vender's recommendation. If the times are not something they can guarantee me, then I don't book.

Archived